VW Polo - Car reliability - Leif

I have a 2018 VW Polo which I've had for 3 months. After a couple of weeks the front wipers failed in torrential rain. A few minutes before I was on the M3 and a failure would probably have led to a major car crash as the failure meant zero forward and sideways visibility. Two days ago the car refused to let me in. Fortunately I was a mile from home, so went to fetch the spare key, which worked. I swapped the battery, no joy. On two occasions the car applied emergency braking for no apparent reason, both times on a bend. It was frightening. On 3 or 4 occasions the radio has refused to turn off when the car was turned off and no key in the ignition. I had to keep the on off button pressed in until it rebooted. CarPlay is marvelous, but on a couple of occasions it has locked up, and I had to reboot my iPhone. I don't know if that was the iPhone at fault. It is a beautiful car, but the electrics are pants.

I've also had a flat tyre, after hitting a pot hole. But I can't blame VW for that. The tyre deflation warning went off almost immediately, so full marks on that score.

Is this typical for new cars, or is this an outlier? I bought VW as my previous car, a VW Up, was faultless. But it was a basic model without all the trimmings you now get on most cars.

VW Polo - Car reliability - Falkirk Bairn

23 years ago I discovered reliability - Honda x 4, Mazdax 1

I have spent maybe £2000 on car repairs on my Japanese brand cars (Made in Japan, USA, UK) (excludes servicing, exhausts, tyres etc etc) in 23 years.

Last 2 buys, 2007 - present - Xtrail & CRV £zero warranty, £zero repairs..

I must admit my thoughts were that I should have bought Japanese i.e. Mazda, Honda or Toyota.

VW Polo - Car reliability - TheGentlemanThug

This is one of the bugbears I have with modern cars. Safety systems and driver aids can be overly protective to a point where it erodes confidence in the car.

I wonder how long it'll be before something like an automatic braking system will result in an MOT failure?

VW Polo - Car reliability - galileo

This is one of the bugbears I have with modern cars. Safety systems and driver aids can be overly protective to a point where it erodes confidence in the car.

I wonder how long it'll be before something like an automatic braking system will result in an MOT failure?

Under the new MOT rules it is now a failure if a warning light is on for any of these 'wonderful' systems such as tyre pressure monitoring, ABS etc, isn't it?

Edited by galileo on 28/06/2018 at 12:40

VW Polo - Car reliability - bazza

VW reliability isn't the best out there, the Golf 7 has lots of gremlins according to forums and surveys. Some cars will be great, others not so, just a case of probability. SoubdS like you're a bit unlucky with that one. But they're all minor ish issues. Friend has a golf 7 which frightens her with its auto braking. Can this be turned off? Half developed systems.

Yes, I can turn off the emergency braking, and may well do so. It's going in to have the key sorted next Wednesday, and they will look at the other isues. That said, I doubt they can do anything about intermittent faults.

VW Polo - Car reliability - badbusdriver

I've long considered VW's (and Audi's) overated, but even so, i'd imagine your Polo's problems are not 'normal', at least i'd hope not!. We have a high spec 2017 Jazz and so far, as expected, no problems.

VW Polo - Car reliability - TheGentlemanThug

If the light is permanently on then that constitutes a failure, as far as I recall anyway. I guess if the light goes off then it's a pass?

VW Polo - Car reliability - argybargy

Exactly my thoughts, and our B Max was a classic example.

Warning messages about tyre deflation which turned out to be red herrings when I checked the pressures, some nonsense about traction control not working when I was driving at about 10mph, all contributed to my decision to get rid of the car.

A car that lies to you is no good at all.

VW Polo - Car reliability - Engineer Andy

I can sympathise - its the main reason I normally don't recommend VAG cars, at least the higher priced (less value than Skodas and SEATs anyway) VWs and Audis.

A neighbour's run-out 2017 model Polo has had to go back to the dealer several times for similar electrical issues - flat battery, alarm regularly going off after the battery fix, not locking, more battery problems - he's had 2No. 2018 model courtesy cars already for about a month in total, despite him only owning the 2017 car for 6 months.

I also regularly see 1yo VAGs with broken DRLs. To me, this sort of thing sounds like they release cars onto the market without fully testing all the systems in-situ. Bad engineering lead by bean-counters who think that marketing is more important than engineering reputation as regards spending the budget. Eventually the latter wins out or they go under, as some makes have learned the hard way.

VW Polo - Car reliability - Ethan Edwards

Sudden unexpected braking ...were you using the cruise control at the time? Does your vehicle have Adapative Cruise control? My Vitara has this and just this morning it braked for no apparrent reason..then I realsised the radar had mistook the hump back bridge for an stationary vehicle. Cool technology but you have to keep and eye on it.

It has emergency assist braking which brakes when it senses an object in front approaching at speed. Obviously this is intended to protect pedestrians, and sleepy drivers. It's a good idea, but not so good in practice.

That's not reassuring. I am coming to the same conclusions as you. I could accept a wiper switch braking, as sub-systems do and will brake. But the impression is that the in car entertainment system firmware has not been tested properly, and that overall there is something wrong. Maybe it is inadequate testing during development, or inadequate sub-system testing during assembly. I'm also not sure how good the South African factory is, clearly build quality will vary according to country and/or factory.

VW Polo - Car reliability - landmarked

I have a newish Mazda 3, reliability is flawless so far but I'm not sure the driver assistance systems are really better or worse between makes

We have some country roads where there is enough space for cars to park on one side, leaving (just over) one lane free for traffic. The problem is the side the cars park on alternates from left to right, so you end up doing a "slaom", albeit with plenty of space and visibility.

Quite often the car thinks I'm heading straight into one of the rows of parked cars, and starts braking before I steer onto the other side of the road.

The active lane assist also takes some getting used to, though this can easily be replaced with a warning or disabled completely.

The car didn't come with carplay or android auto; I have sideloaded a community developed version of android auto through the USB port and it works perfectly - much better than many integrated setups!

I have a newish Mazda 3, reliability is flawless so far but I'm not sure the driver assistance systems are really better or worse between makes

We have some country roads where there is enough space for cars to park on one side, leaving (just over) one lane free for traffic. The problem is the side the cars park on alternates from left to right, so you end up doing a "slaom", albeit with plenty of space and visibility.

Quite often the car thinks I'm heading straight into one of the rows of parked cars, and starts braking before I steer onto the other side of the road.

The active lane assist also takes some getting used to, though this can easily be replaced with a warning or disabled completely.

The car didn't come with carplay or android auto; I have sideloaded a community developed version of android auto through the USB port and it works perfectly - much better than many integrated setups!

Can you turn that feature off? I test drove a CX-3 and 3 that had the lane departure warning system. The lack of compatability of the Mazda infotainment system is also a bugbear of mine - I bet they did this because they didn't want to pay Google and Apple for the licencing rights, which is daft IMHO as its a major draw for the modern car buyer, as is having a decent sat nav system, which Mazda's isn't (its not terrible, but its not that good either).

Annoyingly, you can't just buy the non-Nav version of their cars and effectively upload an add-on satnav system without actually hacking (apparently it is possible and you don't need to be a computer whizz to do so) like you would do for a sat nav app on a smartphone, presumably because of the lack of integration with the two biggest phone OSes. Hopefully they will fix this for the mk4 Mazda3 and other forthcoming vehicles.

It is noticeable that more of the European makes have 'operational issues' as regards interraction between firmware, electrical and sensor systems than the Far Eastern makes, which seem to be far more conservative about adding features on their vehicles just to pander to fashion and to keep up with the Joneses. Some feactures, like the one on phones/satnav I mentioned are worthwhile, but most others, including many safety features, appear to me to be just thrown on as afterthoughts without much D in their R&D process.

I now actively shy away from models and makes that go overboard on these gadgets and features, especially when decent fetures like automatic A/C (climate control) is often only found on upper spec models with a LOT of the unnecessary and complex gadgets and features that seamingly are unreliable and sometimes downright danergous. I still find it staggering that VW only offers climate control on the Golf GTi and above as standard but only as an optional extra below that, and yet on the lower/mid spec models (like the GT and others) you get a whole raft of other gadgets, most of which I have no need for.

Admitedly some are just to please the safety brigade to get the madatory 5 star NCAP rating (its not as though a 4 star car is 'unsafe' [mine isn't]), but it rather makes that rating useless if they are all (barring a few) 5 star rated, so nothing to compare there then. Just gadgets and performance.

After using CarPlay I consider it essential. Yes you can plug in a phone via the aux cable but then you use the awful DAC in the phone, and to change tracks you need to handle the phone which is illegal when driving and dangerous.

My Polo doesn’t really have that many fancy gadgets, just the standard SE spec. with basics such as air con and electric windows. The serious faults thus far, namely wipers and key, are basic items.

I’ve noticed these days that most goods I buy are reliable, no doubt due to robotic manufacturing - most circuits are surface mounted with flow soldering - and better QC procedures. Perhaps some car companies have not caught up though I am told that VW are very demanding of suppliers.
VW Polo - Car reliability - landmarked

>>Can you turn that feature off? I test drove a CX-3 and 3 that had the lane departure warning system.

Yes you have a lot of options configurable through the infotainment. The most aggressive one constantly tries to "help" you stay in the centre of the lane by playing with the resistance of the electric power steering. The next only only corrects a drift out of the lane. Then you can drop down to the warnings options, where you choose between beep, speaker rumble, only visual warning etc.

Mazda have been promising Carplay and Android upgrades for a long time. Apparently the upgrades are in pilot test in some dealer demonstrators.

I doubt it is a licensing issue - around 5 years ago Mazda outsourced their infotainment to Johnson Controls, who did a reasonably good job of developing a (reasurringly open and tweakable) Linux-based system. I think the contract may have expired and/or they are having some supplier management issues because this upgrade had been announced and delayed time after time.

VW Polo - Car reliability - FoxyJukebox

This sounds about average. The trouble with most dealerships is that their service areas are lacking in customer care. With a new car-It's all very well having a guarantee for a year, so folk know they will get their "faults" fixed--but what Servie Areas utterly fail to take into consideration is the frustration of having to book the blessed NEW vehicle in, wait for up to 10 days to get it fixed, do without it for a day, have the hassle of a courtesy car etc.

Another point- it's all very well getting nods and smiles in the sales showroom area when you are buying--but have you ever tried dealing with a service manager on a busy weekday morning or evening?. Service don't care whether your car is 5 years old or 1 day old. "The earliest I can do this for you sir is tue week" is sadly what many can expect.

VW Polo - Car reliability - SLO76
Have to say that aside from an above average volume of minor faults I’ve had no major failures from any VW I’ve owned, sold or ran. I do avoid anything complex particularly anything with a DSG box fitted though. Yes they’re not as reliable as Japanese equivalents but they do tend to be quite enjoyable to drive and they’re an easy sale when you’re done with them.

My wee Polo is now 6yrs old with around 80k up and it still drives great and has to date never let us down. It has suffered numerous minor problems such as failed like XJ’s etc but it still feels exactly the same as it did when I bought it almost 50k and three years ago. A Jazz would’ve been less hassle but I’d take the Polo to drive any day.

A Mazda 2 and Suzuki Swift were contenders but sadly lacked boot space compared to the wee VW.
VW Polo - Car reliability - Alby Back
The company I work for has a small ( 12 or so ) fleet of cars. Currently made up of VWs, Audis, Fords, Vauxhalls and my Merc.

One Golf, one Passat and one A3 have suffered DSG failures in the past three years. An Insigia auto also had gearbox failure and the auto tailgate mechanism failed on that.

The Merc and its similar predecessor, and the current and previous Mondeos ( Powershift ) have been no trouble. All our cars work hard covering 30-40,000 miles a year each.

In fairness to VAG, we also have an A7 auto and a Q2 auto which so far have been fine.
VW Polo - Car reliability - SLO76
Predictive text nonsense again!

“like XJ’s etc” read ‘like door locks etc’
The Polo is a beautiful little car, with loads of room, and decent to drive, which is the appeal. I eliminated Japanese cars as they were as roomy, or had a hard ride etc. VW do make a nice product in terms of comfort, styling and ride.

The new Suzuki Swift is getting the 1.4 petrol turbo Boosterjet engine this year. I have that engine in my Vitara S. It's superb. Couple it with a small light car and it'll be a Rocket ship.

But does the boot have room for hockey kit, does it have a comfortable quiet ride, does it have CarPlay? I’m not a rocket ship fan, rather a sedate driver in fact.
VW Polo - Car reliability - KB.
But does the boot have room for hockey kit, does it have a comfortable quiet ride, does it have CarPlay? I’m not a rocket ship fan, rather a sedate driver in fact.

But I'm kinda guessing that those who bought (or are on the LONG waiting list for) a VW Up Gti, or own, or have owned, a Fiesta ST, Peugeot 205 Gti, Clio RS16 or suchlike don't play hockey or need CarPlay and preferred the handing and performance that came with them.

Not saying I'm one of the latter but realise that there's no shortage of thems wot is.

Room for a full set of Golf bats yep. Is Hockey kit bigger? Comfy ride...subjective you need to decide that for yourself. Apple car play and Android Auto? Well my wife's cheaper Ignis has those as does my Vitara. So Im guessing yep.

Imo it's a neat little car.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 29/06/2018 at 14:06

Hockey kit is huge, it just fits in the Polo which has a bigger boot than a Ford Focus. I believe the Suzuki does not have CarPlay.

To be honest, if the Polo does not continue to develop issues, then I'm happy. I don't consider the radio not turning off once a month a serious issue, just a bit annoying. But if this carries on over the next few months, then I will consider if I have enough to reject a car. Two serious faults in three months, and many smaller ones is not ideal.

Just checked the Brochure. It has both. Its exactly the same unit as in my Vitara S. And I have both as well.

There is also a Polo GTI, very nice but a long waiting list.
VW Polo - Car reliability - KB.

Re. the reference to the 1.4 turbo ... am I mistaken ... or Is it not already out? Just been reading road tests of the Sport with a 1.4 turbo in it..

Edited by KB. on 29/06/2018 at 16:03

Yes you are correct. It's been five months since i was at the dealership, picking up the Vitara. I can confirm the 1.4 Boosterjet is a cracking motor.

VW Polo - Car reliability - geordie33

VAG cars never get a good reception on here but it is worth noting that VW came 6th out of 26 manufacturers in a recent JD power survey ahead of many "reliable" cars with owners being particularly happy with engines and gearboxes.

My current Golf dsg is loaded with tech and I have had no problems at all just like all the other VAG cars I have owned in 45 years of driving.

None of this will be any consolation to you but I reckon you have just been unlucky and when you get sorted the Polo should be a great little car.

Good luck.

VAG cars never get a good reception on here but it is worth noting that VW came 6th out of 26 manufacturers in a recent JD power survey ahead of many "reliable" cars with owners being particularly happy with engines and gearboxes.

My current Golf dsg is loaded with tech and I have had no problems at all just like all the other VAG cars I have owned in 45 years of driving.

None of this will be any consolation to you but I reckon you have just been unlucky and when you get sorted the Polo should be a great little car.

Good luck.

I don't trust those 'reliability' or 'reputation' scores any more, as I don't think they take into account the actual reliability, only the perceived one of the car owner (a Japanese car owner will EXPECT higher reliability than most others), never mind that most serious issues on certain makes 'known' for their unreliability mostly occur when the car is out of warranty, which by happy coincidence is just after the original owner gets rid of it. Far higher numbers of Japanese and Korean cars buy without lease or PCP deals and keep them for longer from new, well outside of 3 years.

Not saying they are all rubbish, but as I've said, they do have some issues. I just remembered another neighbour who recently had to have his 9 month old Passat changed out (company car) for a replacement due to a (presumably) serious fault they couldn't easily and quickly fix (he's had the replacement for well over a month now).

I wish I could agree but unfortunately I don’t trust JD Power. Recently the Skoda Citigo came out much higher than the VW Up for reliability, and yet they are virtually the same car, made in the same factory, with the same mechanics and electrics, differing only in some interior trim, and some external panels. My VW Up was faultless was six years and 130,000 miles. My Ford Ka had one fault in ten years. I’ve never had so many issues from a car, and in only three months!

Edited by Leif on 30/06/2018 at 08:44

VW Polo - Car reliability - badbusdriver
I wish I could agree but unfortunately I don’t trust JD Power. Recently the Skoda Citigo came out much higher than the VW Up for reliability, and yet they are virtually the same car, made in the same factory, with the same mechanics and electrics, differing only in some interior trim, and some external panels. My VW Up was faultless was six years and 130,000 miles. My Ford Ka had one fault in ten years. I’ve never had so many issues from a car, and in only three months!

It's been a long time since i last perused a JD Power survey, but i do remember when they 1st appeared in the UK. What struck me is that it was not a 'reliablity' survey, but a 'customer satisfaction' survey. If that is still the case it could easily account for the Skoda Citigo being placed higher than the Up, simply by it's dealers being better at dealing with any problem's. Be that by being more symathetic, getting any issues fixed sooner, being more courteous, etc, etc. Also, there is the thorny issue of customer expectation, with VW owners in general believing they are buying a superior product and therefore being less tolerant of any issues.

It was the actual reliability rather than satisfaction. Yes you’re right about the satisfaction index, which is why many premium brands often do not excel. If you buy a Mercedes you expect perfection.

My local VW dealers are pretty damned good. It’s one more reason to like VW. However, I am getting to know them better than expected.
It was the actual reliability rather than satisfaction. Yes you’re right about the satisfaction index, which is why many premium brands often do not excel. If you buy a Mercedes you expect perfection. My local VW dealers are pretty damned good. It’s one more reason to like VW. However, I am getting to know them better than expected.

I think that's part of the problem as regards 'brand reliability' - a car (not yours - I've come across reports of this for other makes, including my own) that (say) isn't serviced correctly, i.e. shoddy workmanship or items not inspected/changed out as required can often fail as a result - nothing to do with the quality of its manufacture, but of the maintenance. There is something to be said for finding a really good dealership, particularly as regards the service/parts dept.