Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - Budget_Security

warning: long story...(for the short version, just read the text in bold)

I went to Kwik Fit on the 18th (farnham, Surrey) for my Fiat Panda's MOT. Afterwards, I was told by the front desk rep that my car had failed the emissions test. The rep automatically tried to book me in for a repair without any mention of costs. I asked about costs. The rep phoned HQ and then quoted (excluding labour and VAT?) £329 for a catalitic converter + £99 for a lambda sensor. He said it could be "one or the other". This was a lot of money, so I said I would need to think about it. The rep said I would need to decide soon as the "MOT technician would not be in next week" for any potential retest.

I arrived home and discussed the MOT with dad. We noticed various discrepancies in the MOT report:
misspelled numberplate, wrong engine capacity, and most importantly...
it had failed in the first fast idle test (lambda=1.038), but it had passed in the second fast idle test (lambda=1.030), and the report stated that the "overall result exhaust emissions test" was a "pass". But on the front page of the MOT report it said something like "hydrocarbon content exceeds limit", even though the hydrocarbon results were a "pass" on the emissions page.
I took photos of the MOT report, just in case.

By the way, I know 1.030 is not an ideal result, but a pass is a pass.

A bit later we got a second opinion at another local garage, where their MOT tester had a look at the papers and agreed that something was wrong with it. We drove back to Kwik Fit and talked to the front desk rep. I asked him to clarify the discrepancies on the MOT report, but he was evasive and did not give an answer to that, instead suggesting it would be better if I let them repair it and that he might be able to fix it for much less than quoted. It seemed like he was trying hard to sell something (earlier I had overheard him talking to a colleague about how unusually slow business had been recently - maybe he was not meeting targets?). I again tried to point out the discrepancy on the MOT report, but the rep avoided it and suggested I come back the next day to talk to the MOT tester.

The next day:
I went back to Kwik Fit, and after a short wait, talked to the MOT tester (anticipating problems, I secretly recorded this conversation). He was friendly at first but quickly became a bit unpleasant and very evasive. Instead of acknowledging the fault, he kept trying to convince me that all was in order and that the car had actually failed the test. I disputed this.
He kept pointing out the lambda fail for the first fast idle test, and refused to acknowledge that the same document stated a pass for the second fast idle test, and a pass for the overall test results. I kept pointing out that because of the overall pass, there were no grounds to fail the car's MOT test. He rebuked this and said it was "immaterial".
He had literally printed an MOT document that stated an overall "pass" on emissions and then "failed" my car on emissions.
After realising he could not fob me off, he then tried to come up with excuses (like "I pressed the wrong button") and suggested we do a retest. I suggested no retest was needed since the car had already passed. He explained that he could not change the mistake to the test results and that there would have to be a retest, and assured me there would be no charge. I accepted. He offered to do the retest (with a slot open 45 min later, and suggested I drive around in the mean time to make sure the engine was "warm". I did that, and returned for the retest.
The car passed the retest.
They asked for and ripped up my copy of the original test papers (but I have photos), and then handed me the new papers.

I had been calm and polite throughout, but there was never any open acknowledgement of their mistake(?) and not any apology for the inconvenience and time wasted. I think I will go to my local garage from now on. Their MOT prices are much higher, but at least they are honest.

Edited by Budget_Security on 23/06/2018 at 20:33

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - Big John

I would have complained:-

www.gov.uk/government/publications/complain-about-...t

It's this sort of place that will be failing cars as dangerous so you can't drive them elsewhere (as with the new MOT from the 20th May) so any mal-practice needs to be reported

Edited by Big John on 23/06/2018 at 20:56

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - James2018

https://metro.co.uk/2018/02/05/kwik-fit-charged-woman-685-fix-air-conditioning-car-doesnt-actually-7289721/

And I am sure there are numerous similar tales.

Oh, there are...

https://www.foxyladydrivers.com/foxyblog/2010/09/17/bbc-watchdog-kwik-fit-mauling-good-for-garage-future/

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - John F

Jeez - are they still at it? They tried to scam my son 10yrs ago...........

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=61226

...and I did get my money back after I'd complained to their head office. It's high time this outfit was closed down.

PS hats off to this website for ease of finding old posts!

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - daveyK_UK

Please share your story and evidence with both your local trading standards and local newspaper.

May also be worth reporting it to your local BBC radio station.

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - SLO76
Not surprised at all, I’ve heard loads of stories like this about Kwik Stitch-up. This is what happens when you take your car to a garage whose staff are on commission to up sell or basically stitch you up. No workshop staff should be on a pay structure which encourages behaviour like this. I’m amazed they’re still getting away with it. I’ve had irate punters call me after putting cars they’ve bought from me months before in for their next Mot only for this mob of con artists to present the owner with a huge list of “essential” repairs. Every time I’ve sent them to my own test station who’ve passed it or repaired minor issues while this lot would’ve emptied their bank accounts. This is one firm to avoid like the plague!

Edited by SLO76 on 24/06/2018 at 01:56

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - Leif
Report them to the authorities.

I always use the main dealer for an MOT. They sell a two services plus three MOTs for a reasonable sum, and I’m confident they don’t make up MOT fails. Kiwi Fit are okay for tyres.
Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - nellyjak

I thought it was pretty common knowledge now that if you use the likes of Kwakfit then this is what you must expect.

Personally I would let them open my bonnet...assuming they had the skill and knowlegde to do so.

Edited by nellyjak on 24/06/2018 at 08:56

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - Galaxy

Yes, I would definitely complain to the DVSA, formerly VOSA.

You have photos of the original test documents and, in any case, I'm pretty sure that once these are put onto the DVSA online website they can't be erased, well, not by a testing station, anyway.

These places like Kwik-Fit really do need showing up for what they are - Rip of merchants!

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - FP

In view of all the negative comments, I have to say that the only time in the last few years that I have used Kwik Fit I was entirely satisfied.

I don't in fact have much confidence in them, but on the occasion in question (several years ago) my alternator had failed on the M1 on a Friday evening in darkness and heavy rain and, having limped off the motorway, I found a branch of Kwik Fit nearby - somewhere in Derbyshire, I seem to recall.

They diagnosed the problem there and then, but said it was too late to order parts. We found a hotel and returned the next morning and by 11:00 the car was fixed.

No upselling, no dodgy mis-diagnosis, no inflated prices. I had the work checked by my trusted indie and also checked the cost - nothing to object to. The car has run without any further electrical problems ever since.

This, of course, proves nothing. As they are a franchise I suppose branches will vary. I still wouldn't go anywhere near them if I had a choice.

Edited by FP on 24/06/2018 at 10:48

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - kiss (keep it simple)

Agreed, not all Kwik Fit are crooks. My sister's car had a bad water leak. Local KF tried their best to find it, failed, topped up the radiator but because they hadn't actually fixed it they charged her nothing!

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - Engineer Andy

Indeed - like all franchises, the quality of the local outfit depends heavily on the franchisee running it, though if the likes of Kwik Fit run a national pricing structure for 'reduced price' MOTs, then, to me, that encourages franchisees to offer commission for staff to find fake faults and fail cars that are fine to drum up business.

This sort of practice should be banned by law. The OP should take their findings to the DVSA and local trading standards at least. I also try as far as possible to saty away from businesse who are also regularly featured on consumer shows like 'Watchdog' for significant customer service failings.

Sometimes (like with supermarkets and utility companies) this cannot be avoided, but with garages, there are enough out there that are ok to make a decent choice, for the most part. Going to a cut price MOT tester only save a few quid initially, but to me is a red flag for the reasons I gave above.

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - Manatee

I had the MoT done with the annual service by the Skoda dealer on our Roomster this year. Second MoT, and one year out of warranty. They didn't 'find' anything that needed doing, nor have they even told me it needs any brake pads yet...remarkable and unusual.

I stopped using one Honda dealer when they told me I 'needed' pads. They lasted a further 50,000 miles after that.

I wouldn't go near a KF. I once went to Charlie Browns (remember them?) for a 'free' MoT for which I had a voucher for reasons I can't remember. They conjured up £400 of work on a Sierra, bushes, brake discs etc. I just took it somewhere else, paid for an MoT, and it passed.

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - skidpan

I have had mixed experiences with KwikFit but have only visited them when they have been the only option or in one instance quoted a sensible price.

First experience was a Golf, day before we we were due to go on holiday (actually about 5pm on a Friday) the rear exhaust box snapped off. Went to the local tyre/exhaust indy we had used foir years and he told us that we would have to have a compete new system and it would take until the middle of the following week to get one. So called at KwikFit, they had a back box in stock, cut the pipe with the correct tool, fitted new box and off we drove. Very happy.

Second experience not so good. Puncture in tyre Sunday morning. KwikFit only place open but despite it being a nail in traed centre they said I would need a new tyre. Thanked them and left. Usual indy repaired next morning.

Then our Focus went to Ford for a service. They reported that both front tyres needed replacing since they were well worn on the inside edge and this pointed to the tracking needing adjustment. Quoted £80 each for a tyre and £140 tracking so I thanked them and said I would get other prices. KwikFit quoted £25 for tracking and local indy £65 a tyre. Off to KwikFit who did the tracking for £25 and they suggeted I needed new tyres. I Told them I already had that in hand but they gave me a price of £80 a tyre. Told them thanks but been quoted £65 a tyre. They quickly replied with £60 a tyre (same Pirelli as fitted and quoted elsewhere). So for £145 we got 2 tyres and tracking when Mr Ford wanted £300 for the same work/parts. More than happy.

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - James2018

And its not just KF.

Many years ago, when I was just married and totally skint with my first house a local garage quoted almost a months pay to fix my misfiring car. It would have been devastating at the time.

I declined and limped it to work. Someone recommended a guy that works from a garage at his home, so I took it round there.

He popped the bonnet and the distributor cap and said it would cost two beer tokens to fix (£2). A wire had come loose / frayed in the distributor.

The other garage had the distributor cap off and would have seen the same. They quoted £230 odd when I was earning £250 odd a month.

Never been back to the other garage since.

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - 72 dudes

As said by others, some are well run and honest, many are not.

For tyres etc, I tend to use Formula One Autocentres, who seem reasonably competent in my town, but I would never use a Fast-Fit place for MOTs, as I suspect most of them use the target/bonus pay structure.

I use main dealers for my two Mercs MOTs (and previous Volvo) and have done for over 8 years. I used the Mazda dealer for the first 5 years (£35) and more recently the Peugeot dealer (£29.99). Never had a problem with erroneous fails or attempted up-selling. And of course, you sit in a plush lounge with free coffee and TV while you wait, or have a nose round the latest models in the showroom.

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - dan86

I work for a local authoritie and where I am based is where the council's fleet is based along with council run workshop, MOT centre and DVSA office. The test fee is £45 to the public but there's no worries of them failing the car just to make extra money as they don't carry out any repairs. As card as I'm aware most councils offer this facility. Even the busses from the two local bus depots and local freight companies have their vehicle MOT carried out there.

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - catsdad
Last year our previously trusted local indie gave our Corsa 4 tyre advisories and tried to flog us a new set of tyres. I knew this was wrong. They were checked by the VX main dealer and gave even wear readings of 2.95 to 6.91 mm, against legal min of 1.6mm. Best tread is on the rears.

I have kept the VX print out as evidence should the advisories be brought up in the event of any problem. Having said that I change at around the 3mm mark anyway so two of them will be done before winter. The tyres will be swapped around so that the new ones go on the rear.
Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - carl233

Without being cynical I cannot help suspect that the government being in the pocket of the large corporates wants the MOT to be far tougher so that people are forced to hand more money to those same corporates and also gain tax along the way so that people buy more newer 'modern' vehicles.

Edited by Avant on 25/06/2018 at 00:10

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - madf

I always use our local Kwikfit for MOTs (discounted) for at least 10 years. no problems, honest, no invented faults, no pressure to get repairs done there.

(I am not full of paranoia ).

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - Miniman777

Without being cynical I cannot help suspect that the government being in the pocket of the large corporates wants the MOT to be far tougher so that people are forced to hand more money to those same corporates and also gain tax along the way so that people buy more newer 'modern' vehicles.

Dont agree on a two year retest period. Far too many unroadworthy cars around as it is.

As for your allegation against QF, isnt that libellous?

(Edit - yes quite probably, so deleted here and in the original. Thanks.)

Let me add that my lease car requires me to use QF whenever possible, but they are always busy....:)

Edited by Avant on 25/06/2018 at 00:11

"Dont agree on a two year retest period. Far too many unroadworthy cars around as it is."

Average age of motor vehicles in the UK is only 8.1 years based on 2018 figures, does not say much for the quality of cars, based on many peoples or should I say herds 'opinions' it is sad to see what the motor vehicle industry has become in this country.

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - Avant

Carl233, I have had to edit / delete some of your posts, as they go beyond the clearly-stated guidelines on naming and shaming in the sticky thread above.

"Carl233, I have had to edit / delete some of your posts, as they go beyond the clearly-stated guidelines on naming and shaming in the sticky thread above."

Have been a member of Honest John Forums for more than 15 years yet never had a post modified before, it would be a shame if the forums become more 'of the corporate grain'.

Perhaps people should read what independent customers feel about Quick Fit see here:

uk.trustpilot.com/review/kwik-fit.co.uk

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - Bromptonaut

My experience of KF is limited to occasions when they've been best price for tyres (or possibly years ago an exhaust). In each case parts have been fitted competently and without other work being suggested. I am though male, increasingly old and, while not up to doing stuff myself, well informed about things like tyre wear limits.

Bloke in late Charlie Browns tried it on re brake pads in my BX which were 'well worn and would be at limit in a fortnight'. Told him I thought split in middle of pad was like construction of rubber blocks on push bike rim brakes - shifted water and idicated wear.

Well mabe a month or two....

IIRC they were still there when we traded it a year later.

Unpleasant MOT experience at Kwik Fit - Engineer Andy

"Carl233, I have had to edit / delete some of your posts, as they go beyond the clearly-stated guidelines on naming and shaming in the sticky thread above."

Have been a member of Honest John Forums for more than 15 years yet never had a post modified before, it would be a shame if the forums become more 'of the corporate grain'.

Perhaps people should read what independent customers feel about Quick Fit see here:

uk.trustpilot.com/review/kwik-fit.co.uk

Carl - this website isn't exactly rich and thus cannot afford to be sued by big corporates because someone gave only their side of the story AND named (to made it blindly obvious) who the other party is in a disupte. Whilst we can give accounts of our good AND bad experiences of dealers, fitters, manufacturers, etc, making serious claims specifically about certain branches and/or people can often border on (or be) slanderous.

Websites like TrustPilot automatically give a right of reply to companies and organisations reviewed, and can and have taken down ones which are unsubstantiated and/or libelous. They presumably have an entire team (including legal experts on hand) to determine what is acceptable and what isn't, especially if a business owner complains. They can afford to because they are a far bigger firm than HJ's website. That's why we have moderators like Avant and site rules.

Its not always the business at fault - I've seen some doozies where people who have, in my opinion been entitled idiots, rant about their 'bad' experience, blaming everyone except the person actually to blame - them. I'm not saying this is the case here, but you must realise that many firms don't know of this website's existance and thus have no right of reply - meaning that unsubstantiated opinions (more than generalities) can spread like gossip and the damage is done.

Please be aware that there are always TWO SIDES to an argument or dispute.

Given HJ's posting of numerous complaints about cars of MANY makes in the Good & Bad section of the car reviews or the News section, let alone the forums, I hardly think this site (including the forums) is some flag-waver for big business.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 25/06/2018 at 12:53

"Dont agree on a two year retest period. Far too many unroadworthy cars around as it is."

Average age of motor vehicles in the UK is only 8.1 years based on 2018 figures, does not say much for the quality of cars, based on many peoples or should I say herds 'opinions' it is sad to see what the motor vehicle industry has become in this country.

So cars can auto renew their brakes, tyres wiper blades,bulbs and other consumable parts without intervention from teh owners?

I never knew that..

Your post makes no sense.

surprised how some people could defend such an organisation with reviews such as those listed on TrustPilot. The MOT test has become a big money making industry for some organisations. Personally even if I broke down outside a KF garage would not even consider using them.

I also still say the test should be every two years as some people seem to have it confused with servicing also considering some of the comments. With the new rules concerning MOT tests it certainly will mean extra revenue for some organisations.

Only used a KW twice myself once in 1998 to get a puncture repaired, when they scratched one of the steel wheel doing so, would have been really bad if it was an alloy. A final attempt of using their services in 2000 to adjust the tracking on a Ford, left the garage with the tracking more out then when it entered, the second attempt still not done correctly, in the end they offered a refund only after being told you need two new shocks sir, I would have them done soon sir it is a safety issue. Those same shocks were still good 4 years later when the car was sold.

Edited by carl233 on 25/06/2018 at 15:47

"surprised how some people could defend such an organisation with reviews such as those listed on TrustPilot"

I base my comments on my personal experiences. Do you really belive everything you read on the internet? You sound as if you do..

Do you want me to lie so you can hear what you want to hear? That is what you are saying.

Do you really belive everything you read on the internet? You sound as if you do..

"I base my comments on my personal experiences. Do you really belive everything you read on the internet? You sound as if you do.."

Good point never considered this before, due to the strong case you put forward will ignore than many many reviews from members of the public and my own experience and start using them. Your strong argument convinced me easily....

"Have been a member of Honest John Forums for more than 15 years yet never had a post modified before, it would be a shame if the forums become more 'of the corporate grain'."

It's not that. The point is that if something libellous is posted on a public forum, the forum managers could be the ones to be liable. You used the word 'corrupt': there is a distinct risk that a word like that could be considered libellous.

Budget Security's original post is a good example of how to make a valid point without resorting to potentially actionable terms.

I think that everything that needs to be said about this has now been said. Thread closed.