VW Self Diagnosis - pdc {P}
Hi,

I discovered HonestJohn yesterday and have since spent a couple of hours browsing this forum. I've got back to a message posted in Jan about diagnosis equipment and software.

Since 1996 I've had a Polo, Golf and am now on a Passat and it was only recently that I witnessed diagnosis equipment being plugged into the vehicle. The rear door would not lock/unlock using the keyfob, central locking button, nor the automatic drive off lock. It could only be unlocked/locked manually. The engineer plugged the computer into the car and straight away knew that a connector was loose in the door.

I am not mechanically minded but I am very electronic/computer minded and reading about the diagnostic software at www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/ had got me fascinated. There are over 7000 fault codes!?

I do not want to know what these codes are, but I am fascinated to know what type of areas these codes cover, and just what the car is doing as I drive it. Is it constantly checking everything about itself? The screenshots show messages about voltages being too high, or faults with the horn. I also understand, from the drivers handbook, that the engine management software adjusts parameters to match the drivers driving style. This sort of thing really fascinates me, so any useful links or information would be really appreciated.

Thanks
VW Self Diagnosis - chris2
search the net for OBDII (on-board diag 2) seem to recall there was a base spec for it somewhere.

Basically, VW's constantly monitor certain systems and when error conditions occur will either display a light or message on the cluster. These can be open/closed circuit or implausible values

Also, have a look for CAN (controller area networks) for more fascinating reading.

try

www.obdiicsu.com/

www.volkstechnik.com/link.html

and www.clubb5.com as you've got a passat
VW Self Diagnosis - Dave_TD
Check through this thread:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=76...1

There are a couple of good links that make fascinating reading there. I started the thread a while back to find out what was involved in converting my Skoda Octavia to cruise control, on the basis that the functionality is already present in the ECU, and all you have to do is fit the correct dashboard switch and then enable the ECU in the correct way.
VW Self Diagnosis - ShereKhan
Is software like this available for other manufacturers? Is this only a VW group thing?
VW Self Diagnosis - Altea Ego
If you search the web on OBD11 or odb2 you will find sites that offer software to download. ODB11 is a required european standard for new cars post 99 i think. However all the european standard states is that you should be able to read the diagnostic codes. This DOES NOT mean that all the freeware ODB software will enable you to reprogram the ECU or enable embeded functions or features.
VW Self Diagnosis - borasport20
I've downloaded VAG-COM (cost for the shareware version = 0), arranged to borrow a laptop from work to put it on, and am awaiting a mate to build me a cable.

If I have any joy, I'll let you know

I still can't get over the fact you can get VAG-COM and a cable from the states for $233 (dollars) but the only english vendor asks for £411 (pounds)

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up
VW Self Diagnosis - IDIY
borasport20

Father xmas didn't bring me my vag-com for xmas despite being on his list - did you get the download from the Ross tech site?
borasport20
Father xmas didn't bring me my vag-com for xmas despite being
on his list - did you get the download from the
Ross tech site?

yes, but it's still waiting for my tame sparky to build me an interface cable !

VW Self Diagnosis - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
We are using VAG-Com now and all I can say is what a brilliant piece of kit it is.The possibilities seem endless and with the RossTech website as a paid up subscriber you have contact with all the other users so if you cant fix it, someone else out there probably has the answer.I'd be keen to know how much the shareware version does as opposed to mine.
Andrew

Happiness is a T70 at full chat!
VW Self Diagnosis - jud
borasport20
Have you got the wiring/pin out requirements for the comms lead, ive downloaded the shareware but cant find any wiring diagrams on the site.
jud -
i'll post you some links when i'm back at work tomorrow

Jud

try this

www.planetfall.com/~jeff/obdii/
VW Self Diagnosis - jud
Cheers borasport20
VW Self Diagnosis - evo
Buy the proper interface from Ross-Tech. They are not that expensive compared with the damage you could do to your Engine Management System and consider what you can do with the package.
VW Self Diagnosis - Aprilia
I\'ve downloaded VAG-COM (cost for the shareware version = 0), arranged to borrow a laptop from work to put it on, and am awaiting a mate to build me a cable.

If I have any joy, I\'ll let you know

I still can\'t get over the fact you can get VAG-COM and a cable from the states for $233 (dollars) but the only english vendor asks for £411 (pounds)

If you go to the German site www.vag-com.de/index_2.html it says (in German) that you can order the English version from them. The full outfit costs 299Euro (about £200) - there also seem to be various upgrades listed that are not on the US site.

VW Self Diagnosis - jud
www.vag-com.co.uk/products.htm
This site appears to be offering the products in line with the USA prices, making or buying a comms lead seems to be a lot of hassle i'm tempted to spend the £190 instead.
www.vag-com.co.uk/products.htm
This site appears to be offering the products in line with
the USA prices, making or buying a comms lead seems to
be a lot of hassle i'm tempted to spend the £190
instead.

i'm still waiting for my tame missile-builder to make me a cable up, so let me know if you get a cable from these people.

I must add a word of caution - I personally would not buy anything over the net from a company that does not display its postal address and phone number prominently on its web site, and I can't find either address or phone number for vag-com.uk on its site !!!

VW Self Diagnosis - jud
borasport20, found this on ebay but looks expensive, will probably make my own. cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...9
VW Self Diagnosis - jud
also this looks good value www.andywhittaker.com/ecu/obdii_hardware.htm
Jud - they both look interesting, but my knowledge of electronics is limited to remembering where my Collins DIY manual is so I can look up the colour codes every time I need to re-wire a plug

I will however be forwarding those links to my missile building mate, with a reminder that he said he'd start work on my cable after easter...

VW Self Diagnosis - evo
They are brilliant. get out of the Stone Age and move into the 21st Century
VW Self Diagnosis - evo
Ross Tech Vag-Com is brilliant. Exclusivly for VW and brilliant on Mk4 TDI for dynamic injection timing which is necessary for cambelt change, resetting annoying inspection reminders and many other things. An extremely good and friendly email help line. Cost about £150 all in order from US (remember you will have to pay duty on the interface imported to UK but not on the software download).
Well worth the money and very interesting.
You will need a lap top to go with it, but that has the advantage that you can go out on the road and test it in motion.
VW Self Diagnosis - jud
Just to update anyone interested, i bought a comms lead via ebay for £65 with postage (auction), and today used vagcom for the first time, managed to communicate ok with no problems. Checked the engine module for fault codes and found none listed so that's a good start.
Has anyone made any mods to the central locking, i would like to convert to superlocking, but obviously need the code to enter.