BMW 7 series - daveyjp
Are these selling as well as BMW expected? Its over 12 months since they came on to the market and I've seen just two.
BMW 7 series - peterb
Lucky you!

I'm unfortunate enough to have seen dozens. Apparently the dealers aren't too happy with it....
BMW 7 series - Steve S
I know of a couple of people who have tried it but gone for Mercs.
BMW 7 series - Rob C
Hideous looking creation IMO, no wonder people are shifting to Mercs.
Saw one yesterday on the A1, its number plate was PARIS, which worked well to shift attention from the rear end which looked like a primary school collage of car parts.
BMW 7 series - eMBe {P}
I have no interest in the new BMW 7 series looks or costs or performance, but my chauffeur hates the i-drive system as he find it fiddly. I do enjoy being driven in the car though. I thought you would find that interesting and so I had to tell you.
BMW 7 series - Shortwing Rob
I wouldn't really know if I've seen any since the rigid Germanic marque 'styling' (I use the word loosely), means that the only BMW I can positively identify is the little squished down semi-retro sports jobby.

Rob P
BMW 7 series - Rob C
Also, the first one I ever saw belonged to Michael Barrymore. He was on the News scuttling away in it, so I associate it with all that "back door" shenanigans.
Very unfair I know, but there you go.
BMW 7 series - 3500S
Another Chris Bangle abomination, if you've seen the 1-series and new 6-series, they aren't too pretty either. Apparently none of his drawings for his MINI concept exist anymore either.

I've heard it's been a bit of a sales disaster not to mention the fiddly I-drive. I hear BMW are going to issue an update to the 7 by smoothing off the rear edges at bit.
BMW 7 series - Morris Ox
The news is already out in the States about this. It is being restyled, or rather cleaned up a bit, because of considerable adverse reaction. I-Drive, too, is being simplified (new version will be seen first in this autumn's new 5 series).

Don't lose sight of the fact that the 7 seriss is a fabulously impressive drive, unbelievably agile for something so big. As MB has hinted, pity is that so many end up being chauffeur driven. What a waste...
BMW 7 series - Rojer
I actually prefer the new 7 series shape to the new S-Class shape (althought I've not seen the most recent facelift model). I think the S-Class looks like it popped out of a mis-formed cheap plastic jelly mould.

Mercedes has made quite a few boo-boos in recent years. The 1st C-Class series and the more recent C-Class coupe` (I think it is) which looks like a Renault Fuego from the rear are two others.

Rojer

PS I have the older W140 S-Class
BMW 7 series - Altea Ego
oooooo thats uinfair, I quite liked the look of the Fuego, great name - Spanish for fire, which a few of them did.
BMW 7 series - Rojer
Sorry, no offence, just that Mercs shouldn't look like Fuegos. The fuego lloked good for what it was.

PS I loved my Renault 25 TXi but it cost too much to run. 'Vehicle functions under surveillance', 'Bootlid not shut', '... Service as soon as possible', 'Brake light not working' .. The front seat inflating bags, the leather sofa-like comfort etc ...
rojer@lycos.co.uk
Astra, Renault 18, Renault 25 TXi, Astra Est, Passat Est, Mercedes 190E, Mercedes
I had the 25 V6 Turbo.

Used to scare the odd Cosworth Sierra driver with it.

Definitely a car to run from new on the company. Wouldn'rt advise it as a private purchase second-hand.

Conversely, the 21 Turbo. Vastly underrated

Rob
BMW 7 series - Alfafan {P}
Funnily enough, I saw a Fuego yesterday on the M23. In fact I think the Merc looks more like an Astra
BMW 7 series - peterb
amazing that people will pay £20k + for an ugly, stumpy hatchback.

I also find it amazing that anyone would choose the ugly, stumpy hatchback over the gorgeous CLK (a proper coupe).
BMW 7 series - DavidHM
For what it's worth, my take on the C-Class sports coupe or whatever they call it (Stumpy?) is that it's the illegitimate offspring of a C-Class at the front and a Tigra at the back.

Overall though, the result is slightly Astraesque. As for who'd pay - someone like my sister, who knows nothing about cars, likes them small, easy to drive, simple, a little bit sporty and not too fast and who would happily pay for a premium anything - determined to move to Notting Hill, etc.

Would I dream of getting one? No chance - I'd much prefer a 3 series or an A4 or even an Impreza. But I do think it would suit her down to the ground, even if second hand, it makes no sense at all.
BMW 7 series - Dude - {P}
The article mentioned in the Auto Express recently, that the new "Bungled" 7 Series is to undergo a revamp after only 18 months into it`s production cycle, is the result of sales diving in the U.S.A. and other key markets.
Apparently it is to get a revision to the headlights, front bumper and a rounding of the back end, similar to the forthcoming 5 Series. BMW product cycles are approx 7 years, with some minor tinkering to the design after 5 years, - but never after 18 months.!!!!
Although BMW products are mechanically and dynamically superb, many people buy their vehicles solely on styling and appearance, and no company can afford to become so complacent to assume they can sell their vehicles on dynamics alone.!!!

Lets hope that "Bungle" has been finally rumbled, and that we see some long overdue changes at the head of Beemer styling !!
BMW 7 series - madf
BMW styling... rarrange the letters "carp".

Z3.. ugly, Z3M coupe - monstrosity, 3 series (bland), 5 series (blander), 7 series.. shades of the last Granada.., 3 series hatchback!..

And as for the new Roller: about as bad as the last model- which is saying a lot:-(

Like the Mini tho...

madf
BMW 7 series - daryld
If they are going to restyle the 7 series after only 18 months (which is going to cost ££££££££!!!) then who in the BMW Group is going to walk the plank for this debacle?
BMW 7 series - eMBe {P}
All BMW's have always had 12-24 monthly cosmetic re-styles during their 7 year cycle. The current 3 series is another example - it is to undergo another (3rd or 4th) facelift in 2004.
BMW 7 series - Dude - {P}
IMHO if BMW in-house stylists cannot improve on their current appalling designs, then they should employ the services of Bertone or another of the Italian design studios, otherwise sack Chris Bangle !!!!
That's not fair.

The BMW styling isn't "apalling" it is just irredeemably bland and lacking in any inspiration, style or flair.

Rob P
BMW 7 series - Steve S
Isn't it just trend? The current trend seems to be "slab sided" for saloons - BMW 7 series, Honda Accord etc.

I personally don't like it but then maybe I'm stuck in a time warp because to me the 5 series that's about to be replaced, has dated more than the previous one. If you see one of those that's been looked after it still looks very good.
BMW 7 series - Morris Ox
Back you up 100 per cent on that. A well-kept L or M Reg still has a certain presence. My favourite's the rare manual box 540; absolute bargain compared to the M5.

It's replacement has been okay, but unless it's a fully made-up sport model or an M5 in a dark colour it does nothing for me.
BMW 7 series - Steve S
Ox,

That 540 sounds great. I had the the 525 and that was great fun when you wanted it to be and fairly comfortable cruiser when you didn't.

I agree totally about it's replacement needed to wear some make-up to look anything. The drive too, was "sanitised" a bit, I thought. But hey, the aim is to remove the fun and let the electronics sort it all out now.

Yep I am in a time warp.
BMW 7 series - Pugugly {P}
"5 series (blander)"

Couldn't agree more, I have never actively disliked a car as much as this one. Complaint in progress with leasing company by the way, there is talk of it being replaced with a 330d coupe.
BMW 7 series - eMBe {P}
In a national publication today, a respected motoring expert writes:

" BMWs all have gorgeous engines, handsome bodies, sophisticated aura, gentlemanly demeanour, lapidary physical integrity? BMW has 'em all. By many measures it is the most admired car company. With the exception of humility, it possesses every virtue. BMW even, in these strange times, makes lots of money. Just as the old saying went that no one ever got sacked for buying IBM, you never have to apologise for buying a BMW. The view is that BMW can do nothing wrong."

Says it all. If you disagree, well, you don't have to buy one.
BMW 7 series - Morris Ox
Most of the admiration of the company comes from market-bucking sales and profits growth achieved through incremental rises in its meat and two veg (3 series, 5 series) and successful widening of the range (X5).

But the 7 is a problem. People do disagree, not as many of them are buying it (particularly in the States, its key market). And the car's being changed as a result.

BMW isn't making such ambitious forecasts this year, incidentally.
BMW 7 series - Aprilia
I was at BMW's FIZ (research and innovation centre)in Munich last week. The company is doing well and I saw a model of their new 'project building' which is being constructed next year - I didn't hear any comments about the 7-series redesign.
Whilst there I saw various computer models of up-coming vehicles (projected onto a giant 'powerwall') and they all look perfectly acceptable, if a little bland. I do like their interior design though - looks very good.
BMW's are perfectly good cars, its just that they are 'oversold' in the UK. The dealers are the main problem. In Germany, BMW parts prices are similar to Ford's and labour rates are also much the same. Over lunch one day I mentioned to some of the BMW engineers that UK dealer rates can be around £100 an hour and they nearly choked. Apparently rates are far lower in Munich!
"In a national publication today, a respected motoring expert writes:

" BMWs all have gorgeous engines, handsome bodies, sophisticated aura, gentlemanly demeanour, lapidary physical integrity? BMW has 'em all. By many measures it is the most admired car company. With the exception of humility, it possesses every virtue. BMW even, in these strange times, makes lots of money. Just as the old saying went that no one ever got sacked for buying IBM, you never have to apologise for buying a BMW. The view is that BMW can do nothing wrong."

Says it all."

Yeah right!

Rob P