Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Cheeky
Two quickies for fellow BR's..

1. Why has the dim-dip headlamp system fitted to cars post 1986 been abolished so that there are an increasing amount of fools driving around with parking/sidelights on? They do not seem aware that other motorists will see the outline of the car more quickly than the lights in poor weather.

2. Any other Audi drivers find that their headlights are poor on dipped beam? If so have you upgraded or just simply re-aligned?

Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Wales Forester
Not sure if it's just me Cheeky, but your thread doesn't seem to make any sense, try explaining what you mean about the dim-dip a bit better. You make it sound like you're saying that no lights are better than sidelights in poor weather!?

PP
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Tom Shaw
I believe dim-dip disappeared because of a EU ruling, can't remember why. Great shame, as they were perfect for city driving. Be easily visible without the glare associated with normal dipped beams.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - frostbite
I believe dim-dip disappeared because of a EU ruling, can't remember
why.

Eradicate common sense - it's what the EU is good at! Quite agree, dim-dip was a sensible and effective idea that made for good visibility without dazzle.

I found it especially useful around town where I don't like to use headlights, or face them.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Tynesider
Why not just leave your foglights on all the time to be fashionable - this is what made dim-dip obsolete!
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - madman
It has gone because it was never needed. The Highway Code says "use dipped headlights in reduced visibility". Therefore if you use sidelights for anything other than parking you are admitting reduced visibility and should have dipped headlights on.
It costs no more to use dip and only uneducated drivers would think that it could drain a battery with the engine running as all modern cars have alternators these days.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Cheeky
You're quite right PeterP - thread was badly written - in too much haste as a matter of fact.

Others seem to have cottoned on - I just felt dim-dip lights were good idea, and prevented people from driving with just parking or side lights on. Whilst (marginally) better than nothing, I think most would agree that for safety or visibility on the move in poor weather, side-lights only serve no useful purpose.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Tom Shaw
Far from not being needed, dim dip was a very useful device to have. There are many times when lights are nescessary to increase ones own visibility without the need to illuminate the road ahead. Heavy rain is one example that springs to mind, and as has been stated they did not cause the dazzle that normal dipped beam does.

Dim-dip - where's it gone? - martint123
Slight correction for madman ;-) The highway code says:-

use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen

www.highwaycode.gov.uk/08.shtml

Martin
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Cliff Pope
I believe that dim-dip was technically pretty crude - just like connecting a resistor in the headlamp circuit so that they were, well, dim. The trouble is that this does bulbs no good at all. They don't run at proper operating temperature, so deposits build up on the element causing premature failure. The same way bulbs fail if the earthing is poor.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - LHM
I'd second the view that dim-dip was a very useful compromise in town driving to maintain visibility to others whilst avoiding dazzle. I believe that the practice of driving on sidelights dates back to the days of dynamo charging systems, which had low outputs around idle - i.e. when stuck in city centre traffic. People would then switch off headlights in order to conserve battery power.

As to dimming shortening a bulb's life, I'd be somewhat sceptical. The filament, even in its 'dim' state, is still hot enough to convert tungsten halides back to metallic tungsten (and I'd think the vast majority of cars use halogen bulbs). A far more effective method of shortening a 12V-rated bulb's life is to run it at the 14V or so generated by a normally-operating alternator!
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Peter D
Ok, to mop up several points here goes. Dim/Dip is intended for day running lights and was/is standard in some countries. It is not an option i.e. if the ignition is on then the Dim/Dip was on or on older cars day running lights 12 watt front side lights which would you believe went down to 6 watts ( dual filament bulb) is you turned the side lights on. Example 1980,s Volvo 240. Next how, some vehicle used a resistor Austin Metro ( up to G plate I think) other series the bulb up ( Ford Seirra ) through into the nineties and others used a Relay/Mosfet constant voltage solution ( Volvo and others ) The resistor and the series bulb methods had the problem that is the bulbs were different makes then the glowed at different temperatures and the Seirra solution failed if one bulb went duff, but we all carry spared don’t we, and the third was an expensive but good solution.

Now the temperature the lower running temperature has a slight increase in deposits on the inside of the glass which when at full temp does not all burn off completely and reduces, with time, the light output but increase the reflected heat back into the bulb until the filament fails a little earlier. However most bulbs probably fail due to vibration, pot holes and the shock of cat eyes and rumble trips.

I hope that helps. Regards Peter
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - henry k
>>..... other series the bulb up ( Ford Seirra )
On my Ford ( Cortina or Sierra ?) there was a resistor ( well a coil of wire) , in a sort of open sided crude tin box that did the job.
I changed it for a less rusty one from the scrap yard.
I thougt the dip dim was a good idea as it illuminated the whole of the headlamp glass.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Doc
I believe that the practice of driving on sidelights dates back
to the days of dynamo charging systems, which had low outputs
around idle - i.e. when stuck in city centre traffic.

The trouble with headlights is that they need to be designed to fully illuminate the road ahead on unlit roads, such as country lanes.
They are therefore likely to cause dazzle in urban areas.

Do you really need them in traffic queues, where they only light-up the bumper in front?
I just wish drivers would use a little common sense and operate the off switch in situations where they are clearly of no benefit and dazzle is causing a problem.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Perturbed
To answer your Audi question, I bought an A3 new back in '97 and the biggest disappontment on the car was the lights. They were terrible on both dip and full beam, even adjusted slightly high!
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Wales Forester
Just to add another viewpoint to this thread, Arriva buses throughout the UK now have a blanket policy that dipped headlights are to be lit on their buses during daylight hours as well as after dark.
It's apparently to make other drivers/cyclists/pedestrians more aware of the prescence of the bus and therefore reduce the risk of accidents.

PP
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - J500ANT
The law regarding dim-dip was that manufacturers had to offer either electric headlamp beam adjustment OR dim dip. Suffice to say that many in the British car industry just wired in the old dim-dip relay and saved a fortune on existing designs. I cant think of one car that had both dim dip AND electric beam adjustment.

Tony
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Mike H
1987 Saab 9000.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Dave_TD
Arriva buses throughout the UK now have a blanket policy that dipped headlights are
to be lit on their buses during daylight hours as well as after dark.

The army have had this policy for years, when using their vehicles on the public road in the UK, partly because their vehicles are all painted with a matt finish.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - J500ANT
for Dim (not dip) headlamps: My first suggestion would be some Phillips Vision Plus bulbs, £20ish and worth every penny. Supposed to be 50% more light and i've only used them in one car (Saxo) but they're amazing considering the cost.

Daytime Running Lights: As of 2003? the EU has decreed that all new cars (but is that newly supplied or newly designed?) have to have ABS and Daytime Running Lights as standard.
www.channel4.com/apps26/4car/jsp/main.jsp?seek=day...s

Whilst we're on the subject of lights, I had a Peugeot 406 hire car a while back with automatic headlamps - cant get excited sorry, how hard can it be to decide when to put the lights on then turn the switch? But what would happen if (a big IF) you were driving along and someone was waiting to pull out just at the exact same time that the computer goes 'bye jove lads its getting dark, lets light the candles', and he decides youve flashed him out. Smash? He'd be at fault, but i bet he'd have a try to blame you!

Ho hum.

Tony
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Peter D
Hi J500ANT, Why would they have legislated that one, as the requirement is to have Dip beam whan conditions require it i.e. it's dark, and that is when you may require headlight adjustment as the back of the car is loaded, you can't just switch to Dim as the power output is not compliant with the regulations. regards Peter
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - muddyboots
Perhaps dim-dip was made redundant by those who like to drive all day with sidelights and front foglights permanently on.... ;-)
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Flat in Fifth
Anyone got a comment on the daytime running lights I have seen in some foreign countries, incl USA IIRC whereby the main beam filaments are illuminated albeit dimly. More noticeable but definitely not dazzling.

Different slant on it I thought.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - MikeC
I to have hired 406s, very nice cars, but didn't like the auto headlights as I couldn't find away of turning them off, ie even when the switch was in 'O' off position they would automatically light up - would be no good for tailing someone secretly like in films! At least you could decide when to switch the wipers to auto mode.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - ffidrac {P}
Whilst we're on the subject of lights, I had a Peugeot
406 hire car a while back with automatic headlamps - cant
get excited sorry, how hard can it be to decide when
to put the lights on then turn the switch?

How lazy are auto lights (& wipers too!)

I've been chatting to a traffic officer here in S Wales who loves[not] the automatic headlights.
He watches cars go through the Bryn Glas tunnels whilst on patrol and the ones he spots without lights get a warning if he has nothing better to do!
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - rustbucket
Automatic head lights on my scenic were instatly dissabled on the first trip, at a petrol station under a canopy they came on and startled the girl behind the till as she was facing the lights at the time.A total unecessary gimmick .
--
rustbucket (the original)
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - LeePower
I like my automatic lights & wipers, theres nothing wrong with the system if its a good one.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Hamsafar
But what would happen if (a big IF) you were driving along and someone was waiting to pull out just at the exact same time that the computer goes 'bye jove lads its getting dark, lets light the candles', and he decides youve flashed him out.

This has happened to me a couple of times, nothing dramatic, but people have crossed the road and started to pull out then suddenly stopped, and it was the lights coming on that did it.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Tornadorot
The army have had this policy for years, when using their
vehicles on the public road in the UK, partly because their
vehicles are all painted with a matt finish.

More to do with the colours they paint them, rather than the finish, I think! ;-)
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - cockle {P}
PP, personally I would have thought that if a road user really can't see a bus in daylight then he/she should probably be carrying a white stick!!!!

Cockle
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Vin {P}
On a point of fact, dim dip vanished because it was UK-only legislation. It was scrapped because the requirement to fit UK-bound cars with dim dip was declared to be contrary to single-market legislation once challenged in court by the SMMT.

V
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - daveyjp
"I've been chatting to a traffic officer here in S Wales who loves[not] the automatic headlights.
He watches cars go through the Bryn Glas tunnels whilst on patrol and the ones he spots without lights get a warning if he has nothing better to do!"

Is it a requirement to put lights on in the tunnel? There is no mention in the Highway Code.

As a regular user for the last 15 years of this tunnel there used to be signs instructing drivers to turn on lights as the tunnel lighting was very poor. A few years ago the tunnel underwent some major improvements to improve the lighting and the signs disappeared.

I now have auto lights, but previously I never put lights on when going through tunnels in the UK.

I have noticed on the continent that many tunnels are preceded by a lights warning sign and another telling you to turn lights off as you exit.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Bill Payer
On a point of fact, dim dip vanished because it was
UK-only legislation. It was scrapped because the requirement to fit
UK-bound cars with dim dip was declared to be contrary to
single-market legislation once challenged in court by the SMMT.

That's exactly right - I used to a supplier to one of the Lucas factories that made the dim/dip units. Car manufacturers stopped fitting it to UK cars the instant the EU refused to mandate the UK rule.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - David Horn
Being only 21, please could someone explain exactly what dim-dip is, and why you're raving on about it?

Ta,

Dave.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Number_Cruncher
It was a system whereby if you switched on your sidelights *and* the engine was running, the dipped beam headlights would also be switched on, although they would be fed via a resistor, and so would be dimmed - hence dim-dip.

>>why you're raving on about it?

Ah, you have me beat there! But, that's one of the joys of this site!

My main run ins with these systems were when the nasty Lucas relays would cause radio interference.

Number_Cruncher
lucas the prince of darkness ;-)
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Brian Tryzers
Does anyone else here do what I do? I use the headlamp leveller at its most downward setting when I'm just using the headlamps to make me more visible in gloomy daylight. I do this rather a lot in my dark green Volvo (whose daytime lights I had disabled) but still find it useful in our fire engine-red Fabia.

Quite agree on the automatic lights point. I tested a (grey) C4 Picasso Exclusive the other day in typically dull winter light and wanted to show some lights for conspicuity. This required the Citroen salesman to perform a protracted rummage in the instruction book to work out how to enable the lights, when all I wanted to do was flick a switch. I'll raise this in another thread but the gizmo factor is why I see the C4P losing out to the S-Max in the contest to replace the Volvo.
Im very surprised a Citroen salesman struggled with getting the lights to work in either auto or manual mode.
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - defender
its not so long ago this was still fitted to a land rover defender ,might even still be on the new one ,must have a look
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - PhilW
My Berlingo has automatic lights. This does not affect the normal operation of the light switch - if you want any lights in bright sunshine just turn the switch as on any other car.
Also, auto operation also disabled by a simple press of button on end of stalk if you prefer totally manual operation.
Youtr post says more about the salesman than C4 - as for "protracted rummage" perhaps he should have used the index - or didn't he know how to operate a handbook either??
--
Phil
Dim-dip - where's it gone? - Brian Tryzers
I'm sure it's true that there's a simple manual control my Citroen salesman and I could have found, but even he barely knew the car since it had only come in two days before. My real concern about these things is that knowing what lights the car is showing is the responsibility of the driver, not the car and, as others here have noted, there are already too many out there who don't give enough thought to this.

BTW, I'm not anti-technology - I do it for a living, and I thought the reverse-parking device on the C4P was great. Let's automate things because it solves problems, not just because we can. (Retires to wind up gramophone.)
If the car turns the lights on automatically you still have the normal headlamp warning light come up on the dash.

Plus as already said if you want to turn the lights on yourself while they are set in auto mode all you have to do is twist the light stalk 2 clicks.