Should I get a trade licence? - jeremyb
How do I go about getting a trade licence? Is it expensive? How many cars am I allowed to buy and sell in a year before I legally have to get a licence?
Should I get a trade licence? - Vansboy
Do you mean TRADE PLATES?If so you don't need to buy/sell any vehicles-just fill in application, pay your £155 (increase pending)& show local VRO you have a need for them.
If you mean TRADE INSURANCE?Again none needed to be bought/sold technically. Plenty of companies will take on your policy, even part time & no premisies, but at a price!!
VB
Should I get a trade licence? - jeremyb
Don't I need some kind of motor trader's licence to trade vehicles?
Should I get a trade licence? - Dwight Van Driver
In North Yorkshire you have to register with Trading Standards as a Second-Hand Dealer.

Kent were going to impose the same legislation but not known if yet adopted.

DVD
Should I get a trade licence? - T Lucas
If you are going to offer finance you will need a consumer credit licence.
Should I get a trade licence? - king arthur
In North Yorkshire you have to register with Trading Standards as
a Second-Hand Dealer.
Kent were going to impose the same legislation but not known
if yet adopted.
DVD

Bizarre, I never knew about that. Some other trading standards offices have voluntary schemes that motor traders can register with, but I didn't realise there were any that were compulsory.

JB: I'd advise getting motor trade insurance first, this will cover you for social, domestic and pleasure, motor trade purposes, and optionally demonstration purposes (covers your car while other people drive it, as long as you're in it with them). A TPO policy won't cost a huge amount, look in the back of Autotrader for companies that specialize in this type of policy. Trade plates are worthwhile as you very seldom buy cars with any tax on them, and it's £90 if you get caught driving one without! (Don't ask me how I know that, BTW...)
Should I get a trade licence? - zm
Let me recommend the broker I got my trade insurance through:-

Porter Insurance Brokers - 01260 298612

Have proved to far cheaper than all the outfits advertsising in Autotrader, as well as offering the excellent service of a family run concern, last year they actually saved me £600 or so, on the cost of my home traders policy.