First car help. Please? - Smev
Hi,

I\'ve just got a 1995 (M) 1.4 Peugeot 306. Its my first car and its goin wrong...Its starting to over heat and when i rev it there is a throaty wooshing sound comin from the radiator but it seems to only do it when its in gear (travelling). Also not only that when i stick the accelerator down the pull lack considerably from when i first bought it, even when in 1st or second?!? Whats going on and will it be expensive. HELP.

Many thanks

Andrew
First car help PLEASE - Vansboy
Sounds like head gasket gone, if you want expensive solutions, but try these cheaper checks first.
Have you lost water?
How much have you had to use to top up?
If you have, can you see a leak?See underneath & look up at hoses/connection clips/radiator?
If you can't see a leak, but have topped up, see if your oil level has increased.f it has, then it is head gasket failure.
Also, look for mayonaise, type gunge inside oil filler cap.
The best result would be that your radiator fan isn't working.
see if it comes on when your engine is hot, but don't let it overhat.
If it doesn't, see if you can spin by hand (only when engine cold, as it could come on, even without ignition on!!!!!!)If it's not seized, try petting a screwdriver over connections, to short it out.They haven't just come dislodged, have they?
FINGERS & WATCHES & OVERAULS KEEP OUT OF LINE OF FAN!!
You'll get lots more advise from everyone, shortly!
VB
First car help PLEASE - Smev
Would i have heard the head gasket go?
Also it doesnt start first time so i thought it may be the spark plugs gone. i have no leaks on the car or needed to top up any oil cause it hasnt gone down.
First car help PLEASE - Vansboy
Sorry if I didn't say what I meant, the oil level would increase if gasket had gone, because the water would have got into the workings of the engine, if you see what I mean.
Also, if you gently release expansion tank/radiator cap, again careful, put a thick towel around it to protect you from steam & water at pressure,is there A LOT of pressure/Does the water get pushed out?
Poor starting, does make it sound like gasket.
If you check a few posts below, ther is a few people with similar problems.
If this is what is wrong, you could ruin the engine (seizing) if you continue to drive it.
Best get someone to check it more thoroughly.
VB
First car help PLEASE - paulbounty
it could be the thermostat, take it out then try car.
the radiator could be blocked hence the wooshing sound from radiator,flush the radiator.
First car help PLEASE - paulbounty
if its the head gasket gone this also can cause this noise in radiator, see if there's oil in water and on radiator cap.
First car help PLEASE - CM
Also not only that when i stick the accelerator down the pull
lack considerably from when i first bought it, even when in
1st or second?!? Whats going on and will it be expensive.

I had a problem with my old 306XTDT where the accelerator cable stretched itself. It happened gradually and did not really notice it until the garage pointed it out. IIRC they used a clip to take up the slack and it made a huge difference. However I seem to remember that the clip fell off once or twice.

Not sure if that helps you at all.
First car help PLEASE - Peter D
You say you have just got it. How long ago, was it from a garage and is there a warrantee period. Regards Peter
First car help PLEASE - james_60
Hi

there should be a minimum of 3 months warranty

it doesn\'t cover leaks of any kind

it does however cover the engine block assembly etc

does the tailpipe drip abnormaly with water even after a long run

also the coolant if its mixing with combustion deposits should go brown over time

Hope this helps
J Stephenson
First car help PLEASE - DavidHM
James may be right in some cases, but the law isn't that specific about leaks, etc.

If you bought from a dealer very recently (this month, basically) you have protection from the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2002 which means the dealer has to show that the problem wasn't there when the car left him. This is all but impossible and so you should have no problem getting it repaired at his expense. This protection will apply for 6 months but only came into force on 31 March.

Even if you bought the car before then, you may have a claim under the Sale of Goods Act in that the vehicle was not of sastisfactory quality or, if you can show that the fault was present at the time of purchase, fit for purpose. This is a little harder to show because much will depend on the price you paid.

If the car was bought privately, then there's not much chance of getting any kind of refund out of a private seller unless you can show that they knew about the problem and told you that the car was basically fine. Even then you may have to sue them and it probably isn't worth the bother and uncertainty.

It does sound like a dead head gasket - I'm not sure what the actual cost will be but I would expect it to be somewhere in the area of £500. Assuming the whole car isn't worth less than the cost of repairs, it's probably a good idea to change the plugs, HT leads and air filter on the car as a matter of course, and look into a cam belt change if this hasn't been done recently (within the last 4 years/40k miles). If the cam belt snaps, you'll probably need a new engine anyway.
First car help. Please? - Miller
IMO if the head gasket has gone (which seems likely) it may simply be best to trade your car in for another if the cost of repair is going to be almost as much as the cars value.

All the cars I have part ex'd in the past have had potential expensive problems but as they were all worth less than a grand the dealers simply gave them a quick look over and not even open the bonnet before giving me a valuation.

I'm a loser, baby....so why don't you kill me?!