saloon family car - Rog46

Hi need some advice on a family car. I have a budget 10k but ideal would be 7/8k. It has to be automatic and im doing about 20k mileage most is motorway. Economy is important. Max 70k mileage and 2012 oldest. Options i looked at was hyundai i40, mondeo. (Don't want the expensive brands)Also if I went to 11k budget is a 15 plate passat worth it over a 7/8k car.

any more suggestions/advice would be helpful

Thanks

saloon family car - SLO76
This is actually a very difficult one to make recommendations on. Your requirements for a family sized automatic car which must be economical at motorway speeds (really meaning diesel here) and on a city car/used supermini budget land you right in dangerous money pit territory.

The bulk of these large diesel autos use highly complex automated manual gearboxes which are hugely expensive to fix or replace and are very prone to early failure particularly VW’s DSG box or Ford’s Powershift - also used by Volvo. I won’t recommend anything with either fitted so two of the best big diesel family cars you could have are immediately out the door, the Passat and Skoda Superb. Don’t touch either in auto form, ask any taxi driver who’s tried to taxi a DSG equipped car to understand why.

Your need for Mondeo size and motorway economy rules out the better petrol autos in the smaller family class (Civic and Mazda 3) along with any petrol hybrids which don’t get great mpg figures on the sort of usage you’ll be seeing. The larger class are hard to come by with a petrol motor and autobox and you’ll probably be unhappy with the fuel economy.

Vauxhall’s Insignia is comfortable and great value but the Fiat designed diesels are prone to loads of woe around 80-100k, the petrols are too thirsty for you.

My default Mazda 6 is hamstrung by a trouble prone Diesel engine. It’s great as a petrol manual.

You may therefore be looking in the wrong direction by avoiding prestige brands. The Mercedes C Class is robust and longlived if looked after by someone who understands them and the top end of your budget could get a decent C200/220 diesel auto which does use a traditional torque converter transmission which has a good reputation for durability.

The Volvo S/V60 is another good car but avoid anything with Ford’s Powershift gearbox. The 2.4 Diesels don’t use it but I’m not 100% sure which of the smaller engines do.
I forgot to add the Honda Accord 2.2 DTEC auto. Good solid big motor that’s capable of big miles in comfort but as with all modern diesels DPF issues aren’t unheard of especially at the age/mileage you’re talking about.
saloon family car - TheGentlemanThug

To follow on from SLO said, I owned an older Accord 2.2 CDTi. The steering was sharp if a little numb and the ride was fine for the most part. Motorway journeys were comfortable but the car tended to crash over bumps.

The CDTi engine doesn't have a DPF and your budget could get you any model you wanted, but then the car would be around decade old and more than likely need a new clutch and DMF.

saloon family car - gordonbennet

Prius, though technically a hatchback.

To follow on from SLO said, I owned an older Accord 2.2 CDTi. The steering was sharp if a little numb and the ride was fine for the most part. Motorway journeys were comfortable but the car tended to crash over bumps.

The CDTi engine doesn't have a DPF and your budget could get you any model you wanted, but then the car would be around decade old and more than likely need a new clutch and DMF.

Only the later generation has the option of an automatic with the diesel and this is the DTEC which has a DPF.
saloon family car - Scirocco

Maybe a Vauxhall Insignia if you don't care about image - decent to drive, feel well built and well equipped in the right specs. The Volvo S60 looks more expensive than it is and is a relative bargain but if they go wrong are expensive to fix. I'd buy approved used so you get a year's warranty