Family Hatchback under £14,000 - 1rtomlinson

Hi

I did a post earlier regarding a car under £10,000 however I've decided to increase my budget and look for something slightly bigger. 5 doors with a boot which has got to bigger than 350 litres. I only do about about 7000 miles a year so would prefer a petrol over diesel. I have had a look at a few cars, Kia Cee'd, Hyundai i30, Ford Focus etc however I am concerned about the reliability of 3 cylinder 1 litre engines after reading some posts and articles, can anyone put my mind at rest? I am planning on keeping the car a while so I will be financing it myself. Can anyone recommend anything else with model and spec - tech wise I'd like it to be upto date with newer cars so something from 2017 onwards would be better.

Thanks in advance.

Family Hatchback under £14,000 - badbusdriver

We have a current shape Honda Jazz, it has a 350l boot and is one of the most reliable cars on the roads. If that isn't big enough, consider a Toyota Auris 1.2t, i'd imagine there would be no reliability issues there.

Family Hatchback under £14,000 - Engineer Andy

It really depends on the make - have a look at each (and others) in HJ's Reviews/Car-by-Car section, which also has all the car data for boot size, performance etc as well as problems reported. The road tests and HJ/owner reviews can also show up issues as well as give strengths.

No need for a diesel for that sort of annual mileage, even if its less but longer trips - they often cost more to buy even with diesels being kicked by the politicians at the moment. The petrol engined cars also have the added bonus of no DPF to worry about, and are generally a more mature technology/less complex than their latest diesel cousins that require more gizmos to keep emissions down.

Much of what we explained in the other thread rings true, as most have similar or even the same (sometimes uprated in power a bit) engines in the C-Sector (Focus, Golf etc) cars anyway. I'd be more worried about other reliability issues associated with other components than with the engine block.

It may also depend upon how long you are likely intending to keep the car - most normally-aspirated petrol engined cars are proven for well over 10 year lifespans as regards their engines; the small-capacity turbo petrols are less so - only VAG have been at it for that long and have tinkered with the design abit after experienceing some problems with certain engines/designs - but by no means all.

I think most now have reasonably decent designs so there's not so much to be concerned about for the latest versions - as I said, its ancillary systems that are worth checking out.

Family Hatchback under £14,000 - johnnyrev
Dacia Logan or Logan Stepway? We have a 2 year old Logan with the 3 cylinder petrol engine and all is fine so far! You could have a top of the range model for less than 14k. Ours is the Laureate and is well equipped. Huge boot as well. Compared to a previous Fiat that we had, the Logan feels solid and built to last, if a little dated inside (I think the newer models are a bit better).
Family Hatchback under £14,000 - Big John

The petrol engined cars also have the added bonus of no DPF to worry about

Ah - except new petrols are being re engineered with Gasoline Particulate Filters this year.

On some car internet brokers it's possible to buy a good new family hatchback new for the OP's original budget - EG Skoda Octavia on Drive the deal , just been investigating for myself and the Octavia 1.0 SE was showing at £13,571. Thats a lot of car for your money and a HUGE boot (590l?)

Edited by Big John on 03/06/2018 at 21:50

Family Hatchback under £14,000 - SLO76
There have been far too many failures with Ford’s 1.0 Ecoboost to recommend one, likewise with Renault’s 1.2 TCe and Fiat’s 0.9 Twin air. Personally (I may sound like a bit of a broken record) I’d be looking at a Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv. A fantastic little family hatch in every way with bombproof running gear, fun handling and 45mpg plus easily attainable.

The Toyota Auris 1.6/1.2 T is a sensible but rather more mundane option but the practical Estate is well liked by the trade and holds its money better plus looks nicer than the hatch. This should run without fear for decades if you look after it but it’s nowhere near as enjoyable to hustle down a twisty B road as the Mazda.

A Honda Civic 1.8 is again one of my default recommendations. It’ll never go wrong, it’ll do 45mpg and there’s loads of room in it. Rear visibility is poor and again it doesn’t drive as well as the Mazda but it’s a great car all the same. Again the Estate is the better option.

A relevant thread has just popped up again with a new poster mentioning that her Focus Ecoboost is now on its third engine! www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/111213/ford-focus-...0

Edited by SLO76 on 03/06/2018 at 22:20

The Ford Ecoboost has a very similar problem to that of the later Rover 1.8 petrol engine. It's been designed with a very lowish coolant capacity to speed warming up (this is a problem with a few engines thesedays). The problem with the Ford is there is an additional issue with a cooling hose that can fail and this speedy warming up then rather over does it - lunching the engine in the process.

I remember re-building an engine that my dad had overheated after a hose failed(Ford Cortina mkII - pre-crossflow) - He didn't spot it as a rapid/sudden leak dropped the coolant below the temperature sensor before you realised you had an issue. There was molten piston everywhere - some metal had really welded itself to the head which on a pre crossflow was a pain (pistons were flat and combustion chambers were in the head). As this engine had a robust block & head it was saveable - just. I also had to change the big end and main bearings as the overheated oil had started to "lift/drag" these although the crank was OK. On a modern lightweight engine it would be game over.

Edited by Big John on 04/06/2018 at 00:03

Family Hatchback under £14,000 - Leif

A new VW Polo SE 95 PS 2018 model would be within reach if you go via a broker, and are not too choosy about options and colour. The boot is huge, and it carries four people in comfort, 5 at a stretch. I would not recommend the lower spec model, and less powerful engines. There is a horrible waiting list for factory builds, 6 months I think, but dealers do have them in stock, and they sometimes want to shift them at a good discount. Mine cost £14,500 but that includes £500 for metallic paint. I get 57 + mpg but I am a careful driver with a 25 mile commute each way. Note that you get a £500 discount if you take out VW PCP, and you can pay it off immediately and keep the discount.

Family Hatchback under £14,000 - 1rtomlinson

A new VW Polo SE 95 PS 2018 model would be within reach if you go via a broker, and are not too choosy about options and colour. The boot is huge, and it carries four people in comfort, 5 at a stretch. I would not recommend the lower spec model, and less powerful engines. There is a horrible waiting list for factory builds, 6 months I think, but dealers do have them in stock, and they sometimes want to shift them at a good discount. Mine cost £14,500 but that includes £500 for metallic paint. I get 57 + mpg but I am a careful driver with a 25 mile commute each way. Note that you get a £500 discount if you take out VW PCP, and you can pay it off immediately and keep the discount.

Hi, I was thinking of one of these or the new Seat Ibiza which I know have bigger boots. That is where the question re the 1.0 tsi engine is coming from, have have you found it so far?

Family Hatchback under £14,000 - skidpan

With regards to the 1.0 TSi engine we have the 110 PS version a new Skoda Fabia, had it about 5 weeks now. So far it seems a match made in heaven. the performance is great as is the economy. But although the boot is decent for a car of its size its quoted as 330 litres which is less than you specify. We have a full size spare which fits under the floor and does not affect the quoted capacity, live with the glue and compressor and you have a fair few more litres next down there. For your info we paid £12100 for a SE-L after discounts and contributions from Carfile) with white paint, black roof, wheels and mirrors, electric rear windoes and rear tints, retail was about £17200. Thats a 30% discount.

But having read your posts I feel certain that a car is the Polo/Fabia/Ibiza class will not cut it since you appear to be saying you wnat a bigger family car.

With that in mind I would recomend you consider a Seat Leon. We had a 1.4 TSi 140 PS and it was brilliant. The boot will be large enough for you and there is more space inside that the VAG offereings from the Fabia class. Drive the Deal are offering the 1.2 TSi in SE Dynamic Technology spec for about £13800 plus any extras. In truth its so well equipped they are probably not needed. I have not driven a 1.2 TSi in the Leon but I was abit underwealmed when I tried one in a Polo so make sure you get a good test drive should you consider one. The 1.0 TSi should be better but its £1500 more new and over your budget. For another £500 you could get the 1.4 TSi 125 with more kit so IMHO the 1.0 is a non starter.

I also suggest you also consider the Skoda Octavia. Bigger than the Leon inside and in the boot Carfile.net (who we have bought 3 cars from since 2013) are offering the 1.4 TSi SE 150 PS for 13350 after discounts and contributions. Pay off the PCP within 14 days and you keep the £3000 VAG are giving you, we have done it 3 times now. Again you need to get a good test drive to check you are happy with the car as Octavias acan be quite boomy. We have tried 4, 3 estates and a hatch. The estates were unnaceptable and we walked away, the hatch was fine and we would ahve bought one except for the fact we got a better specced Superb for similar money.

In your position i would be looking at the Octavia first and Leon second.

Hi, I was thinking of one of these or the new Seat Ibiza which I know have bigger boots. That is where the question re the 1.0 tsi engine is coming from, have have you found it so far?

I love the car, and find it a nice drive with more than enough power for me. However, I am a sedate driver, I like comfort and a feeling of interior quality. That said, it does have a fair bit of grunt under the bonnet. The gearing is quite high, so if you want acceleration at lower speeds you need to change down. In my view the car scores in comfort and quality. But you may disagree, so test drive one and see. Or test alternatives. The Skoda Fabia deal mentioned by another poster is amazing, though I think it looks horrible, but tastes differ. Some say the Polo looks dull!

Family Hatchback under £14,000 - skidpan

The Skoda Fabia deal mentioned by another poster is amazing, though I think it looks horrible, but tastes differ. Some say the Polo looks dull!

On the whole all modern cars look pretty dull. Its very difficult to make a looker when you have a strict set of guidelines. But its fair to say some are easier on the eye than others.

Some brands should either sack the designers or put them all on part time. Honda and Toyota designers should stop and go down the pub instead of putting needless folds and add on bits all over the cars. the new Civic is one ugly mother as is the Toyota CHR. The Lexus RX is the one that really should be shot before leaving the factory.

Even suoercars are a personal taste. Some magazines critisise some brands for being dull looking but they are the ones I would buy if I had the cash.

With regards to the Fabia, its dull I admit but its no uglier than many. At least with the black roof and wheels it peps it up a bit. As with all cars once ypu are in it you cannot see it and providing they drive really well I am more than happy. In most respects a nice interior matters more to me since that is what I am seeing when out in the car.

As for the Superb, well the current hatch is very easy on the eye IMHO but the previous model hatch (the one with the stupid double boot feature) was one car I could never have put on the drive. A perfect mini cab (and I should know, had a Bluebird).

Edited by skidpan on 05/06/2018 at 10:35

On second thoughts, having looked at the new Fabia again, I quite like it, I suppose one sometimes gets used to something that is a bit different. The interior is quite nice too, better than the Ibiza IMO. At that price it's an absolute seal. I see what you mean about the Honda Civic, it's like being on an acid trip!

Some brands should either sack the designers or put them all on part time. Honda and Toyota designers should stop and go down the pub instead of putting needless folds and add on bits all over the cars. the new Civic is one ugly mother as is the Toyota CHR. The Lexus RX is the one that really should be shot before leaving the factory.

As for the Superb, well the current hatch is very easy on the eye IMHO but the previous model hatch (the one with the stupid double boot feature) was one car I could never have put on the drive. A perfect mini cab (and I should know, had a Bluebird).

Indeed - loads of recent cars, especially hybrids, are pug ugly these day. The latest Prius -uuurg!!

I have managed to put one of the Superb twin-doors on the drive although it was the slightly better looking facelift. Just couldn't resist the price - I bought nearly new just at the time the MKIII Superb came out. Saying that I usually use it as a hatch (much easier to do on the facelift) but opening as a boot is very useful when height is restricted eg On a ferry, Chunnel, some multi-storey car parks. I'll miss it now when I do change cars.