Advice - large used family car for around 7k - adburns

Hi,

I'm looking to replace a Mazda 6 with a large used family car. I think I've narrowed it down to a Skoda Octavia estate or a Citreon Grand Picasso. Needs to be economical and have a have a big boot. Mileage will be low (less then 10k a year). Any thoughts?

Thanks

Advice - large used family car for around 7k - badbusdriver

If you are thinking about diesel for the economy, i'd be wary of either in the most common 1.6 size as both have a history of problems. As far as i am aware, the 2.0 versions of both are more reliable. Having said that, with your mileage, petrol would be the best bet, and with that in mind i'd very much favour the Octavia with the 1.4tsi engine. Bear in mind the Octavia is based on the Golf floorpan so while there is no doubt it has a huge boot, check to ensure there is as much interior space as you need/except (should be ok!)

Edited by badbusdriver on 29/05/2018 at 18:24

Advice - large used family car for around 7k - SLO76
At this mileage and money you need to focus on reliability rather than outright fuel economy. A modern DPF equipped diesel is not suitable for low mileage use, they require regular longer distance runs to regen the filter otherwise it’ll clog, often with costly side effects.

A much less complex and hugely more reliable normally aspirated petrol engine would be a much better longterm bet. My first thoughts point to a Honda Accord 2.0, particularly the Estate which is practical, very longlived and will do 40mpg on a run. A Civic 1.8 is surprisingly spacious, more economical and available in much greater numbers too.

Your budget won’t grant you a later belt driven TSI petrol Skoda Octavia with only the early and troublesome chain driven examples within range or the 1.6 diesels which are murder for DPF and EGR problems and best avoided especially with your low mileage.

A Mazda 6 2.0 petrol is another good big family car with 40mpg economy but none of the worries a modern diesel would bring. You won’t get the latest Skyactiv model but the previous model was a great thing to drive and rarely went wrong. The smaller 3 is a great little family car but might lack the space you need.

A Toyota Avensis 1.8 is a solid big car too. A bit bland and the electronic parking brake is a weak point but otherwise these are very tough things.