Non-motoring - Passport - tdc

I`ve just called at the local CAB to see if they`d countersign a passport photo/application for me.I was told that they couldn`t because it has to be somebody known to them....and they don`t have their passport with them to quote the number.

I mentioned that I don`t know any professional people.Don`t visit the quacks,don`t have a solicitor,etc.

I rang the Passport Office last week and a young lady suggested getting the local supermarket manager to countersign for me,but I have my shopping delivered and as a mate suggested,would that be the same upstanding member of the community that puts special offers on items,only for him to get to the payout and no such offer exists?

I had another suggestion,just get a mate to countersign it and all the Passport Office will do will be cross-reference the numbers and all should be fine.Anybody done this.This mate is self-employed(read, on Tax Credits)

I do nearly everything online,so will one of those robots do? :)

Is there a case for discrimination because non-professionals are null&void in this respect?We know how bent and untrustworthy some professionals are!

Anybody got a non-professional to countersign their passport recently?My last passport expired after 10yrs in 2004.Just got my photo booth pics done today and I wouldn`t let me into another country, judging by those pics.Also bordering on a frown,haha.

Non-motoring - Passport - bathtub tom

Ex teacher or child's teacher?

Thanks for the suggestion bathtub tom...would that be Triumph 350/500 Bathtubs?

Unfortunately(or fortunately),I have no sprogs to ask their teachers.

I doubt whether my old teachers would recognise me.Had a tasty art teacher,Bowie mad,busted for weed,headmaster let her stay on,bless him.She was 19yrs old,only 5yrs older than me.

Attended nine different schools in my eight years of schooling....and then tech.Do you think I should join one of those school reunion Facebook,or whatever groups,haha?

Non-motoring - Passport - bathtub tom

would that be Triumph 350/500 Bathtubs?

I wish!

Non-motoring - Passport - daveyjp
As you have had a passport previously have you tried to apply online? You don't need a counter signature and can upload photos.

I renewed some recently and they were back within a week of the receiving the expired passport.

www.gov.uk/apply-renew-passport

Thanks Daveyjp,yes I applied online just before the prices went up and I have until mid June to get the signed docs and old passport back to them,or I lose my money.

I have to send new photos because I don`t look in the flush of youth as I did in 1994.

The young lady I spoke to,who to be honest didn`t really inspire me with belief in her ability to advise,couldn`t comment when I asked her about submitting the pics online.

Where do they get the staff from?! I`ll take pot luck and give them another ring tomorrow....if it`s as easy as you`ve experienced.

Non-motoring - Passport - concrete

I understand the need for new photographs after 24 years since your last ones. Who countersigned your last application? Are they still around? If you have a photo ID driving licence then that photo may be used by the passport office. For my photo driving licence the DVLA used my passport photo on record. Otherwise if you ue the Post Office, Pub or Barber perhaps they could countersign if they are passport holders too. Cheers Concrete

Thanks Concrete.I don`t remember anyone countersigning my last passport,but maybe someone did.Reckon I`ve moved around too much.Not had a photo driving licence,but must get one soon too.

Good idea,I don`t do Pubs,Post Offices or Barbers.

Maybe I should try my quack,but the last time I visted him 3yrs ago and asked if he`d confirm something in writing,he went to the trouble of sending me a letter saying he wouldn`t !

I`m beginning to sound like Billy-no-mates or Howard Hughes(but without the dosh...or planes),haha.

Back to the drawing board.I`ll probably just ask a mate to do it and see what happens.

Non-motoring - Passport - Bromptonaut

tdc

IIRC person who countersigns has to have known you personally for two(?) years - that's why CAB staff cannot help. Do you not have a friend or neighbour who could sign for you? If it were signed by a professional plasterer or refuse operative would it actually be rejected. I'm luck in that being a retired Civil Servant I've got loads of former colleagues who fall fair square into 'professional' definition but I'd have no qualm asking village shopkeeper.

There are rules around this which are there for good reason of making getting a false passport difficult. It's not up to the staff at the Passport Office to find a workround for anybody and everbody who might find compliance a bit difficult.

Thanks Bromptonaut,yes,I reckon a mate it`ll have to be.

I think it`s the responsibility of the Passport Office to put staff on that know their job,which the young still wet behind the ears lady clearly didn`t.If one makes/issues a ruling,one should be able to define it.

Funny how some of these people in important positions are incapable of doing their jobs....don`t think that attitude would`ve got me far if I`d adopted it or was incapable in all the trades I`ve worked in.

I recorded her too,because I record nearly all my calls,amazing how much money that has saved me :)

Thanks folks.

Non-motoring - Passport - Bromptonaut

I think it`s the responsibility of the Passport Office to put staff on that know their job,which the young still wet behind the ears lady clearly didn`t.If one makes/issues a ruling,one should be able to define it.

Funny how some of these people in important positions are incapable of doing their jobs....don`t think that attitude would`ve got me far if I`d adopted it or was incapable in all the trades I`ve worked in.

Dealing with public in what's now presumably a call centre environment is a pretty junior grade. If you;re a new entrant, or even just new to the role, it takes quite a while to be confident you can pick up the phone and deal with anything. Particularly so when you're dealing with somebody articulate who wants to explore extent of a rule where a decision maker has discretion. Management is spread thin and usually evaporates when there's a problem.

Was at a do todayfor a departing CAB colleague tonight. She was hugely supportive when I started there but also knew when tell me to get back on my horse....

I found it really difficult for first few months nd even though I'd 35years expereince of public facing work some in much more complex environment. Probably pushing a year before I was confident that if I didn't know the answer I knew where to look or who to ask.

I recorded her too,because I record nearly all my calls,amazing how much money that has saved me :)

I hope you told her you were recording the call for training and quality....

Edited by Bromptonaut on 25/05/2018 at 23:26

Fair point,I suppose we pretty much live in a fobbed-off world.At least that`s unlikely on this forum.Engineers and good mechanics are problem solvers and generally brighter than the hoi polloi.

There`s usually a message at the start of calls,as far as I`m concerned,that covers me.I went up against a manager in a legal organisation on this one,and they backed down....in that I tested them by hinting that I often record calls.They took the bait and told me that I had to tell them if I was recording them.Oh no I don`t,I replied,at the start of this call there was a message that this call is being recorded,I take that as a statement of fact that covers me.

Not that I am in any way bothered about being taken to task,pre-warning or not.I will record whatever.I do not expect ever to be arrested for this.

Generally I rate the CAB very highly,only had one example that left me puzzled.Even a member of staff was disgusted when I told them,and that was when they paid a professional a lot of money to come in and talk me through my options with my supplier of electricity. We could have done that for nothing and advised you better,was the statement.

One member of staff was outstanding,they provided me with some DWP rule-book details that were a Godsend for me to use.I tested the DWP by phoning them and asking for this rule book...nope...then,the particular pages...nope,only available internally,not for public consumption.How the hell the public are supposed to sort out certain issues when they`re not even privy to the rules that they`re governed by,beats me.Lucky me,that`s all I can say.Real eye-opener.

I seem to have drifted off the Passport theme,luckily this forum isn`t like most that seem to abide by R4`s Just a Minute rulings.Off to one of those now,haha.