Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - Avant

1,000 miles in just under a month....so far, very impressed.

It's the Q2 2.0 TFSI - the same engine that's called TSI by VW and Skoda. (TFSI is to TSI as RTFM is to 'read the manual'.) It's a detuned (190 bhp) version of the Golf GTI engine, but it feels lively enough, even while still loosening up. It's S-line and 4WD, neither of which I would have insisted on, but they come with the 2-litre engine. So does the DSG (wet-clutch) which works very well.

Even on the 30-mile run home from Salisbury Audi (very good handover) it was obvious that both ride and handling were streets ahead of the traded-in V60: a bonus, as one might have expected an improvement in one to be at the expense of the other.

And there's an indescribably good feeling that never again will I have to reach for the parking brake down by my right knee. I still prefer a manual handbrake, but this one comes on and off automatically when you stop and start, and is doing its best to convert me.

It's mostly very well furnished inside, although the door cards feel hard and basic, with a fine high driving position and very supportive seats. One reason why I'm a fan of VAG cars is that I can always get comfortable straight away.

Still getting used to the 'tech': after a few more thousand miles I'll tell you which bits of the info-tainment are useful and which aren't. No regrets at not ticking the climate control box: manual aircon does the job fine. It doesn't matter what the actual temperature is inside the car, as long as it's right for the people inside. I never found that setting different temperatures for driver and front passenger, as you can with climate control, really made all that much difference.

What did I turn down in favour of the Q2?

VW T-Roc - much the same car underneath, and you can now have lumbar support as an option, which you couldn't originally. No good deals when I was looking in January, as it was too new on the market, but they'll come, and there's a lot of stuff that's standard on the T-Roc SEL which is extra even on the Q2 S-line. Well worth considering.

BMW 220i Active Tourer - this came very close, but they don't hold their value as well as Q2s, the seats aren't very comfortable, and you have to put up with those infuriating BMW stalks for indicators and wipers.

Volvo XC40 - should I have waited for one of these? I managed to get a good long test-drive in one, and it felt wallowy, rather like a Nissan Qashqai. It went where I wanted it to, but in a rather remote, detached way. Everything done by touchscreen - boo, but there is voice control as an alternative. Still prefer proper controls for heating and AC. But a good car and worth a look for anyone in the market for this sort of car (MPV / SUV / crossover - don't ask me the difference).

Mazda CX-3 - felt good to drive but the 2-litre petrol is too sluggish at low revs. You get to see why the competition all fit turbos.

Skoda Karoq - they have tried too hard with the movable rear seats and the floor has a huge step up with the seats down. Fails my 'keyboard test'.

Two I didn't even try:

Mercedes GLA - sorry Mercedes, but I couldn't even have a spare wheel as an option - nowhere to put it. Deal-breaker..

Peugeot 3008 - petrol engine is only a 1.2 and everything is done by touchscreen.

Edited by Avant on 23/05/2018 at 12:28

Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - veloceman
I am too enjoying the fully auto handbrake on my Leon. Always thought a waste of time but liking it.
Problem is when I drive another car I forget to apply the manual one. Fortunately I always leave it in gear!
Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - csgmart

Thanks Avant. Very useful considering SWMBO will be looking to replace her (old shape) Tiguan early next year. We test drove the Q2 in the spring and were impressed with everything, however the car we drove was manual and 'only' 1.4 and we would want the DSG and 2.0 petrol (as you have). To be fair the 1.4 engine was surprisingly nippy.

We've also recently test drove the T-Roc. I quite liked it (but my wife didn't - she is used to a high up driving position and the T-Roc doesn't really have one compared to our A3 for example). One thing that put me off the T-Roc was the dashboard curve where it met with the drivers door. For some reason it curves in towards the driver and being 'only' 5' 7" I have to have the seat fairly near the steering wheel. As a result the space for entering and exiting the front seat was limited and I smacked my knee on the dash corner. It was b***** painful and I could see myself doing it again. Otherwise it was a great car.

We'll be taking the Q2 for another test drive nearer replacement time so will see if we can get the spec we want then.

With regards to the electronic handbrake - I've had them in all my cars since 2010 and absolutely love them. They work incredibly well with automatics - simply coming on and off as and when needed without the requirement to press or pull any buttons. I would not be so keen on them in a manual but as we both like autos it's not a problem. I'm pretty sure you'll come to like it too.

With regards to the DSG - again, we've had 3 cars equipped with them and never had any issues. Granted we tend to trade them in within the warranty periods and we tend to go for a larger engine size which means we avoid the troublesome version found on smaller engine sizes.

Edited by csgmart on 23/05/2018 at 10:22

Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - John F

For £30k-ish so you jolly well should be. That's more than I've spent on my cars in nearly 40yrs! I hope it continues to satisfy over a good many years.

It's the Q2 2.0 TFSI

'pricey to buy and expensive to run' - What Car review.

For £30k-ish so you jolly well should be. That's more than I've spent on my cars in nearly 40yrs! I hope it continues to satisfy over a good many years.

It's the Q2 2.0 TFSI

'pricey to buy and expensive to run' - What Car review.

Do you have a problem with how people decide to spend their own money?

Are you really John McDonnell I wonder????

;-)

Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - KB.

Well, I can obviously only speak as I find - and I happen to have found, over the course of quite a few years, that Avant has managed to plot a particularly stable and reasoned course in his observations, experience and site moderation. I usually take particular note of his thoughts coz they're sensible and rational and, dare I say, edumacated.. And the above post reinforces the above. Thank you, Avant.

I suppose my attention was especially drawn as the cars he mentions are all within a sort of a rough category that I'd be looking at when the time comes for a change so, extra thanks for the views and insights into them. I did just happen to spot my first Volvo XC40 in our road yesterday - it did look smart, and quite big and imposing too.

(rather like csgmart, I too raised an eyebrow at the subsequent comments - but we'll say no more)

Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - Andrew-T

<< Do you have a problem with how people decide to spend their own money? >>

Those of us with a different mindset just place a lower price on our motoring enjoyment. In my entire car-owning life I have only once shelled out (just a little) over £10K for a car - that was a minor splurge on a 306 cabrio about 20 years ago.

There is no point in 'having a problem' with how others spend their money. If it's burning a hole somewhere, may as well spend it - however one does that these days, it probably won't help the balance of payments :-(

<< Do you have a problem with how people decide to spend their own money? >>

Those of us with a different mindset just place a lower price on our motoring enjoyment. In my entire car-owning life I have only once shelled out (just a little) over £10K for a car - that was a minor splurge on a 306 cabrio about 20 years ago.

There is no point in 'having a problem' with how others spend their money. If it's burning a hole somewhere, may as well spend it - however one does that these days, it probably won't help the balance of payments :-(

And having that mindset is of course no issue at all. I've been there myself for most of the time I've been driving. I now find myself in a position where I can afford to buy an 'expensive' car - it is my decision and whilst others might not agree with it I don't see why they feel it necessary to comment on what is a private decision, just as I wouldn't comment on John F's decisions to keep his cars for many years. Each to their own.

Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - tourantass
If I had 30k to spend on a car..I jolly well would do....best enjoy yourself while you can....be it buying a nice motor or house or holidays or all of em...this life aint a dress rehearsal when its over its over..your a long time dead.
Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - craig-pd130

Hope you continue to enjoy it, Avant.

A quick question though - I was interested in the comment about the BMW's infuriating stalks for winkers and wipers. Maybe they've revised the interior, but these are entirely conventional on my early 2017 car ....

Good news if that's true of all new BMWs, Craig. I've got used to the indicators on my 2010 125i, but being a convertible it doesn't often go out in wet weather, and I can never remember how the stalk operates the wipers. It's not intuitive.

Thank you KB for your kind comments - the respect is mutual.

The difference between me and John F is that he is clearly skilled in matters mechanical and enjoys keeping cars for a long time and looking after them. I'm not, although I used to be able to change a set of plugs in the days when you could find them. SWMBO doesn't even know how to check the oil level. So we need reliable cars and are lucky enough to be able to buy new. Each to their own.

The difference between me and John F is that he .. clearly ....enjoys keeping cars for a long time and looking after them. I'm not, although I used to be able to change a set of plugs in the days when you could find them.

Quite so, and far from 'having a problem' I am delighted that so many buy new expensive cars and discard them early, thus enabling a wonderful choice of bargains for motormisers like me (only another 10,000m/three years to go before the mammoth task of changing the W12's plugs - thankfully described on u-tube).

So we need reliable cars and are lucky enough to be able to buy new. Each to their own.

Don't do yourself down, Avant - I suspect many years of expert hard work were more relevant than luck!

Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - skidpan

And there's an indescribably good feeling that never again will I have to reach for the parking brake down by my right knee. I still prefer a manual handbrake, but this one comes on and off automatically when you stop and start, and is doing its best to convert me.

Both myself and Mrs Skidpan love the auto handbrake in the Superb. Its so natural to use in the auto position and the location of the buttons (where the handbrake would normally be). Compared to the V60 and the Avensis (both of which have totally illogical and buttons in stupid places) its on a different planet. The Mrs even asked if it was an option when we ordered the Fabia,it wasn't. The only downside is whne reversing downhill into a parking spot. Best to turn it off or it comes on a inapropriate times

Mazda CX-3 - felt good to drive but the 2-litre petrol is too sluggish at low revs. You get to see why the competition all fit turbos.

Looked at one before ordering the Fabia but there was a basic issue, I could not get into the rear without contorting my body into unatural positions, and that was with the front seat in a standard place for a 5' 9" person. But I expected it to be no better to drive than other Mazda's wth the same engine. In truth we only looked because they are 100 yards from the Skoda showroom.

Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - RickyBoy

1,000 miles in just under a month...

...blimey – I bought my A3 Sportback S-Line 1.5 TFSI on 01/03/18* and have just over 600 showing on the odometer! I clearly need to get out more!!! :–)

(*was abroad for 3-weeks shortly after collecting it mind)...

...oh, and, yes, I like it – a lot!!!...

Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - daveyjp
How do Audi still get away with having climate control as an option?

...standard fit in the aforementioned variant but wasn't in my previous 1.4 incarnation 3-years ago...

Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - KJP 123

How do Audi still get away with having climate control as an option?

Had it but could not see much point over ordinary a/c.

A lot of things are options when you buy an entry level so called prestige brand. You pay for badge.

My cars have been old, so how does this auto handbrake work? Especially with a manual?

Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - veloceman
The Auto hsndbreak activates when the foot brake is pressed when stationary. As soon as you start to move it releases automatically.
Saves the faff when lights go green and you do clutch, gear change and handbrake think.
Also saves the driver behind you getting dazzled by your lights as there is no need to sit with foot on the brake.
Yes, I know the handbrake should always be used but rarely all bother all the time.
It doesn’t let you move if a door is open which I occasionally do to check I’m square in a parking space etc.
The Auto hsndbreak activates when the foot brake is pressed when stationary. As soon as you start to move it releases automatically.

A clever bit of forward thinking to provide the service industry with work. I wonder how many will need an expensive repair before 10yrs/100,000m? I use my non-auto electric fingerbrake about once a month to keep it in working order.

Edited by John F on 24/05/2018 at 11:24

Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - bazza

I do enjoy these reviews of cars in the real world, by our contributors. A good source of information and on cars I either haven't experienced myself, or are out of my price range or practicality. So the more the better, in my opinion. I'm especially looking forward to hearing how Skidpan's new 1.0 Tsi compares v his 1.4 tsi and indeed, we can now compare with the biggest 2.0 tsi in this Audi, which I would expect to be a real mean machine, hope you enjoy it Avant, as you didn't care so much for the previous Volvo. My experience of the recent VAG machines is that they are exceptionally well finished and refined. I may even be tempted back at some point!

Not really kept up with the advent of automatic handbrakes so not at all sure how they work - but if I ever bought a car that had one then I'd find out at the time.

But, John F, you said " I use my non-auto electric fingerbrake about once a month to keep it in working order ". Which, to me, in my ignorance, suggests that if you don't use the handbrake, then presumably you'd have to use the footbrake all the time whilst at lights, junctions, whatever? Surely I've got that wrong?

I know it's an old chestnut but it does, now, seem that, when sitting at red traffic lights or in a stationary queue the vast majority of cars have their brake lights on. Even if it's obvious the red light's gonna be red for a good while. Is this (as I suspect) simply that the drivers aren't using the handbrake? or do some new cars (perhaps with automatic handbrakes?) apply the parking brake whilst keeping the rear brake lights on?

My Mrs. must be utterly fed up with me saying, when sitting at red lights ... I'm not gonna buy a (Honda, Ford, Mitsubishi. Audi, BMW or whatever make of car is in front with its brake lights on) coz they obviously don't come with a handbrake any more ....

No, it's not remotely amusing for her to have to listen to, but I don't think I can be the only bloke on the road who doesn't want to inflict my brake lights on the driver behind for (sometimes) quite long periods of time ...... and equally don't particularly want to have the one in front of me burning my retinas out with their multiple LED arrays.

Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - johncyprus
I was incensed by VW/Audi cheating with their exhaust emissions especially as they seem to have got away with it without censure at least here in the UK.
My cousin recently bought a new 35k Audi SUV and I asked him if he was concerned about the emissions scandel and he didn’t make any connection between that and his purchase.
Slightly off topic, but how on earth did VW/Audi get away with it?
Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - bazza

I,m not sure that they have actually "got away with it" but understand your point-- people still buy them in droves. They are a very strong brand, with a product that ticks all the boxes in terms of showroom appeal, driver appeal and kudos. Also a large range, with something for everyone. One can argue as to their ultimate quality, but it's good enough for the average punter on a PCP or 3 year lease turnaround. Historically, their robustness is not good overall but the brand strength sees them through, witness the 2.0 PD oil pump and Piezo injector sagas, more recently the DSG and chain drive TSI issues.

One could argue the ongoing demise of diesel across Europe and the introduction of tighter emissions controls and city driving bans is entirely the result of a giant own goal by VAG!

^^^ Apologies ... I risk drawing the topic away from it's intended direction with my handbrake rant. Disregard if you will.

Avant, How hard did you look at the Seat Arona and VW T Roc? I'd guess not too hard at the Arona as it's only available as a one litre petrol, but perhaps harder at the T Roc as it could be had with the two litre petrol 4x4.

I think I saw that your new car has DSG and, due to the bigger engine, is a wet (twin) clutch.

As we know, the smaller (1 litre) petrol engine in the Arona would have the dry clutch that we're all familiar with and in the T Roc the only available DSG is in the two litre top of the range model (with 4x4) ... at £31,000. More than I would want to pay myself.

It almost seems that if you want DSG in the above two models you're faced with two extremes ... 1 litre petrol DSG at relatively modest cost versus two litre DSG at rather more.

I would guess you weighed up all the options and costs at much length - and clearly came to the decision that you did coz the others didn't fit the bill.

Edited by KB. on 24/05/2018 at 23:31

Nothing wrong with a bit of 'thread drift': the handbrake debate is always of interest, although I think Dieselgate has been done to death. Any way he engines we're talking about here are all petrols.

Just before selling the V60 I had it serviced (it was on free servicing) and was lent a petrol V60. I'd never really wanted a diesel in the first place, but when I got the V60 it was almost impossible to get a petrol one, and there were no petrol demonstrators anywhere. I enjoyed the petrol loan car and if I'd had that I'd probably have kept it for longer.

SEAT Arona - I wanted a 2-litre so didn't look too closely at this, and the Ateca (which can he had with the 2.0) was a little bigger than we needed. You can get an Arona with the 1.5 TSI engine, although if you look at the Reviews section of this site, and go to Our Cars, you'll see that the tester has mixed feelings about the Arona 1.5. It's a manual and he gets the impression that the gearbox is designed for the 1.0 and doesn't suit the 1.5. You might well find that the 115 bhp 1.0 is enough to pull an Arona along briskly enough.

You've also got the Skoda Karoq - more expensive than the Arona but cheaper than the T-Roc and Q2.

To be honest I think I'd have been equally happy in a 2.0 TSI T-Roc as I am with the Q2. At the time I was ordering you couldn't get lumbar support, which I thought the seat needed, but you can now. Someone at VW actually listened to the criticism. Also, a lot of kit is standard on the T-Roc which is extra on the Q2.

If I remember right, KB, you have a much-liked Yeti 1.2. If you want something similar when the time comes to change it, I think the Karoq and Arona are the nearest to it, with the Karoq I think being slightly bigger than the Ibiza-based Arona. You might also be tempted by the Suzuki Vitara 1.4 Booster-jet.

But, John F, you said " I use my non-auto electric fingerbrake about once a month to keep it in working order ". Which, to me, in my ignorance, suggests that if you don't use the handbrake, then presumably you'd have to use the footbrake all the time whilst at lights, junctions, whatever? Surely I've got that wrong?

...... and equally don't particularly want to have the one in front of me burning my retinas out with their multiple LED arrays.

Couldn't agree more. If flat, and it usually is around where I live, I slip it into 'N' or 'P' - and if I know it's a particularly long red, turn the engine off.

Grateful thanks for the replies. Both noted with interest, thanks.

And so, Avant has correctly identified the worthy options as well as outlining the logic behind his own choice....all of which is very helpful.

Yes, Yeti 1.2 DSG. Yes, well pleased. And yes, would be looking for something as close as possible to the Yeti when the time comes. Agreed the Karoq is a tad too long, wide and low compared to the Yeti. If they still made it I'd think seriously about simply swapping the Yeti for a new one - there are now only last year's run out models with varying mileages available. Am always hoping the ideal replacement will suddenly come into focus. Would have to be auto. having become accustomed to the easy life these past ten years or so. If DSG would have to seek an extra two years manfr. warranty but, as Avant has astutely observed, a petrol Vitara would be closely scrutinized - ideally with the 1.4 turbo and its optional T.Converter auto. but also the lesser 1.6 petrol in the cheaper variants - which also has T.Converter auto. (buying the 1.4 turbo "S" model does also mean it comes with 4x4 as standard - for better or worse ....all of which makes the 1.4 quite a bit dearer than the 1.6 non turbo models). As I'll have said before (I've said EVERYTHING before) our local Suzuki dealer offers to extend the warranty, year on year, when the first three years are up ... provided he services it.... which is OK with me.

The Mazda CX3 (with its torque converter transmission) might be worth looking at (we don't need heaps of rear seat space).

And, of course, KIa, with it's decent reputation for reliability, would be OK but they don't quite make the ideally configured car as we speak ... but we live in hope. They now seem to use twin clutch autos, but with 7 year warranties that wouldn't trouble me unduly.

I shall continue to look and learn. Thanks all.

Audi Q2 - first 1,000 miles - 72 dudes
And, of course, KIa, with it's decent reputation for reliability, would be OK but they don't quite make the ideally configured car as we speak ... but we live in hope. They now seem to use twin clutch autos, but with 7 year warranties that wouldn't trouble me unduly.

I shall continue to look and learn. Thanks all.

Kia have the new Stonic and Hyundai the Kona (based on same floorpan) and I think are both available with smallish petrol engines and a twin clutch auto gearbox. They look good but the reviews are a bit luke warm.

Even though the XC40 has the (to my eyes) ugly kick-up at the back, it does at least have a good-sized rear window, so that with the big door mirrors and reversing camera, rear and 3/4 vision wasn't too bad.

The V40 is much worse; the angle of the rear window makes it look like a letterbox from inside.

I quite like the look of the forthcoming Toyota RAV-4. This has the obligatory kick-up at the C-pillar, but it seems to have been done without reducing the glass area, as happens badly with the CHR.

Yes, I do see the odd one on the road ... not many though ... but I think I, too, was disappointed at the luke warm reviews which seem to say there are better options.