Am I bonkers? - johnnyrev
Our current family of cars is the Dacia Logan, Yaris Hybrid, and MX-5. My wife uses the Yaris, while I alternate with the other two. Recently my mileage has got a lot less. No more school run, no commute, and as a parish priest the furthest I regularly go is the crem!

We use the Logan for camping hols and days out with the dog, so we need something quite large. My question is, do I sell the Logan for something older and more interesting, perhaps with a few more cylinders? Maybe a Rover 75 Tourer V6, or a big Volvo or Merc (I’ve had a CLK which was fun).

I would like something that can still do a few hundred miles comfortably and reasonably quickly, so I’ll resist looking for a Hillman Superminx like my Grandad had! Auto box would also be good so my wife can drive it too (she has an auto licence). And either an estate or suv style. Range Rover v8?

Feel free to tell me I’m bonkers! We love having the old MX-5 which is providing reliable service 18 months in and having 3 cars in the family means less worry if one is in need of tlc.

The Logan is probably worth £6k which might give a reasonable budget and leave some over for a good service and potential issues.
Am I bonkers? - John F
Feel free to tell me I’m bonkers!

Professor Dawkins would probably say self-evidently so - but I don't think we can advise you unless we know a little more about your mechanical capability to service and maintain cars, and your budget.

Am I bonkers? - TheGentlemanThug

Perhaps from a financial point of view you're bonkers, but I understand the appeal in something like a Range Rover V8, even if it's historically one of the most unreliable cars ever made.

With your sensible shoes on you'd keep the cars you have as you know their history. If you did want a change then a Honda Civic 1.8 CVT estate would be a good bet. If it's Japanese and petrol then it's generally difficult to go wrong. What's your budget?

Am I bonkers? - Andrew-T

If you are planning to sell for £6K and have some change after buying something else, that something will be oldish and hence require increasing expenditure on maintenance. That would suggest that buying privately - i.e.from someone who can tell you about what you are buying.

But I hadn't realised that the life of a parish priest allowed for a stable of three vehicles, never mind exchanging them on a whim ,., :-)

Am I bonkers? - barney100

Not bonkers at all, I have a Volvo v70 and it's been excellent but the Mercedes would be brilliant. Had a taxi ride last week in an E class 220, sweet as a nut says I...350,000 says the driver.

Perhaps my suggestion of a Range Rover V8 was slightly tongue in cheek!

I used to have a local colleague (now retired) who maintained several Morris Minors, as well as a Volvo for when none of them worked! The stereotype of us clergy is that we all have train sets (see Revd Lovejoy on the Simpsons) but there’s lots I know who are into old cars!

Luckily my wife works so we aren’t getting by on my stipend! To answer the question, my skills are basic but I can do basic maintenance (I learnt many years ago on an unreliable X19).
Am I bonkers? - skidpan
The stereotype of us clergy is that we all have train sets (see Revd Lovejoy on the Simpsons) but there’s lots I know who are into old cars

When I was hillclimbing and sprinting back in the 1990's in the North West one of the regular competitors in the single seater class was a Reverend who at the line was heading towards 70. He carried on competing well into his 80's only retiring form the sprt shortly before his death.

Am I bonkers? - Avant

In your position, if I didn't have the MX-5, I'd be looking for something more fun to drive than the Logan. But you do have it, and that makes the argument stronger for keeping the Logan.

MX-5s are great, but any old car will at some point need repairs / replacements, so I think having two old cars might be a gamble too far. OK, an old Volvo and (especially) an old Toyota would be less of a gamble - but they're unlikely to be any more fun to drive than the Logan.

Maybe keep the Logan and save up for a bit for an eventual 6-cylinder replacement for the MX-5?

Am I bonkers? - Metropolis.
Sadly Avant, this no longer applies to old volvos, well not since the demise of rear wheel drive models from the line up. A well maintained high spec 900 series would be a nice purchase!
Am I bonkers? - bathtub tom

Want an old Volvo? May be worth looking at ths place: goo.gl/maps/RTJh41ECCEm

I’m still pondering my dilemma in spare moments (not that there are many) and occasionally having a browse. A Rover 75 Tourer is quite appealing, but I fear may be too fragile. Volvo estate also quite interesting, but most interesting in my autotrader searches is this:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180515653...1

Any thoughts?
Am I bonkers? - SLO76
And the £540 a year road tax klaxon sounds! Any older car that falls into this band is worthless and despite being a good old wagon this is no exception. It’ll have cost the dealer £1,000 at best. Not a good buy. Get one from before 2006 for lower tax or stick with the 2.0 petrol which slips under.