HID bulb xtreme white light - maru
has anyone tried using the PIAA , philips, Hella super white bulb?
Manufacturer quoted input power of 55W = 110W (piaa) is this really energy savings bulb.
I assume its illuminance is better for wet driving at night.
HID bulb xtreme white light - Cyd
I've been using PIAA Super White 80/80W (=135/115) for about 20 months. I've just sent PIAA the following email:

Dear Sir,
About 20 months ago I purchased a pair of PIAA Super White H4 bulbs in 80/80 watt power. I was making use of them in my Rover 820 Vitesse Sport (road use only - this is my everyday car). Considering how much these bulbs cost (around £90 for a pair from Demon Tweeks) I must say that I am somewhat disappointed with them for the following reasons:

1. I was already using 100/80 watt H4 bulbs. Direct comparison betwen these bulbs (one 100/80 in one headlight and a PIAA Super White in the other, shining on a white painted wall) certainly showed that the Super Whites are indeed a lot "whiter" than the conventional halogen bulbs, but it was difficult to discern them being any brighter. I bought these bulbs because I wanted an improvement to the dipped beam for country road driving - I live out in the country and drive dark country roads all year round, but found little improvement using the PIAAs. In particular, the beam seemed concentrated on the straight ahead with litle spread to the sides. Road illumination directly in front of the car was improved - but even raising the beam to dead level did little for the more distant vision.

2. Having had the bulbs only about 20 months and covering about 1000 miles per month, one of the bulbs has recently blown its dipped beam filament. Whilst it is true that the dipped filament is the most used, I believe that one would reasonably expect considerably more than 20 months service from a good quality standard bulb. From bulbs that are aimed at arduous motorsport use and costing £90 a pair one would expect years of service in a road car. Indeed the uprated halogens I was already using had been purchased some years ago for a previous car - I've had them so long I cannot actually remember when they were bought.

To sum up: there was 'some' improvement in the dipped beam performance, but not much, not enough to justify the cost and the life of the bulb appears to be no better than a budget bulb. All round very disappointing. I have changed the broken bulb for one of my 'trusty' 100/80 halogens and shall continue to use the other, but I will not be purchasing again. Sorry.

Regards Cyd
Here is the reply I recieved:

I am sorry you are disappointed with the PIAA Bulbs you purchased.

Unfortunately bulb upgrades do work better in some vehicles than others due to the design of the lens reflector.

At PIAA we offer a 90 day warranty on bulbs, this is the most generous warranty in the industry.

Thank you for taking the trouble informing us.

Regards.

TIM HALL
CUSTOMER SERVICES

Pretty much a "couldn't care less" reply if you ask me. Just so happens that the headlights on 800s were about as good as they got when launched back in '86. They are still good today - indeed with high power bulbs they are very good. The point PIAA failed to address was that their bulbs gave a worse beam pattern than a standard halogen.

A point I didn't put to PIAA was that i measured the bulbs power consumption and found both filaments to be consuming 65 watts - quite a bit short of the 80 watts they were rated at and possibly why they failed to impress.

I may consider buying a pair of their platinum bulbs (the 80/80 version = 150/150watts) and make sure I'm happy with them within the 90 day period, then if they still fail to impress I can return them.

The only other option is a pair of conventional halogens in 135/115 watt or a proper HID conversion (about £450 bought from the USA).

Do let us know how you get on.

HID bulb xtreme white light - marty lad
Why did you not avail of their 90-day money back guarantee?
HID bulb xtreme white light - Dynamic Dave
Why did you not avail of their 90-day money back guarantee?

Maybe because he purchased them some 20 months ago!!
HID bulb xtreme white light - marty lad
>> Why did you not avail of their 90-day money back guarantee?
Maybe because he purchased them some 20 months ago!!

if he was not happy within the 90 day period,a bit obvious really!
placebo effect of having parted with £90.
HID bulb xtreme white light - Dynamic Dave
i measured the bulbs power consumption and found both
filaments to be consuming 65 watts - quite a bit short of the
80 watts they were rated at.

Could this be the reason why the bulb blew? I had a spate of numberplate bulbs blowing on one of my old cars. Turned out that the bulb was only being fed 9volts instead of 12volts due to a high resistance joint, and it was causing the filament to carbonise and age prematurely.
HID bulb xtreme white light - pmh
i measured the bulbs power consumption and found both
filaments to be consuming 65 watts - quite a bit short of the
80 watts they were rated at.

I expect the current limitation was down to headlamp loom wiring, fuses, earthing and and switch gear. Try running a bulb directly from the battery with the engine running. Alternatively, measure voltage drops in the wiring.

I am interested in the DD comment. My belief is that an ordinary incandescent bulb (IE number plate) will last for ever if under run by 25%. I think carbonising is a red (or dim orange?) herring. It may be that an intermittent connection results in flicker, thus contributing to early failure. Thrmal cycling can also be a factor in bulb failure. It could also be that you were buying very cheap replacement bulbs.

However low voltage may be a factor in the early failure of modern technology bulbs trhat rely on evaporation? of halogens within the envelope.
Any lighting experts out there???
pmh (was peter)
HID bulb xtreme white light - steveb
£90 for a pair of bulbs ?!!!

Each to their own I suppose - I could never imagine paying this - however much the improvement was in light quality.

Steve
Alternator output = 13.9 volts (no load)
At battery terminals = 13.8 volts (no load)
At bulb terminals = 13.6 volts (155 watt load)

no voltage loss problems in the wiring. The 65 watts was measured at 13.6 volts - the bulbs are rated at 80 W at 12.0 volts so should be pulling 90 watts at 13.6.
HID bulb xtreme white light - Andrew-T
maru - I just hope I am not driving towards you in wet conditions! :o) but a serious comment
PIAAs guarantee is a quality guarantee not a "satisfaction" guarantee.

To be fair to them, they have come back to me and will allow me to purchase a pair of Platinum bulbs and return them if I'm still unimpressed. Only trouble is I'm out of work at the moment so £100 on a pair of bulbs won't go down well with SWMBO just now!!