Ford Focus vs Dacia Sandero - Advice Please ASAP - Geoff Dude

Hi,

We are currently a two car family. Citroen C1 and Ford Focus 1.6 Petrol Zetec 2009. We use both cars but mileage is split at 15,000 in Citroen and 5,000 in Focus. However Citroen is a little tired now so getting rid this weekend. My dilema is do i keep the Focus which has done 72000 miles and had a water pump and cambelt change recently or consider getting a Dacia Sandero 0.9 Petrol new on a pcp. Which works out at £2500 deposit (Focus Part Ex Figure) and £40 month for 24 months based on 20,000 miles a year. With a Final Option to Purchase at the end of 2 years at £3000 Or do i keep my fingers crossed that the Focus will cope well with the 20,000 miles a years. Any advice on what to do would be appreciated. I would get another C1 but it is just too small for us now.

Edited by Geoff Dude on 09/05/2018 at 08:52

Ford Focus vs Dacia Sandero - Advice Please ASAP - SLO76
I’m assuming you’ve got that £40 a month figure wrong?
Ford Focus vs Dacia Sandero - Advice Please ASAP - badbusdriver

You seem to have an odd perception of the longevity of cars!. The Citroën is a bit tired after 15k miles?, and you feel you need to keep your fingers crossed that your 72k mile focus will keep going?.

In answer to your question keep the focus, as long as you look after it, it will be fine for years to come!

Ford Focus vs Dacia Sandero - Advice Please ASAP - daveyjp

The OP does 20k a year over 2 vehicles. 15k in the Citroen, 5k in the Focus. OP doesn't state how many miles the C1 has done.

If the structural components of the Focus are sound keep it. The engine will do 20k a year no problem and other consumables are cheap.

The long term reliablity of the Renault 0.9t needs to be proven - ours managed 15,000 before a major problem, which is more than others I have read about.

Hi Sorry Citroen has done 120000 mile the 15000 is our annual mileage in the Citroen. The Ford is currently averaging 5000 mile per annum. I wondered how it would cope as an only car doing 20000 per year.
It is coming out at £20 per month but I am playing safe at £40. It is right try it for yourself
Ford Focus vs Dacia Sandero - Advice Please ASAP - argybargy

I had a Focus and it developed a dreadful whining noise from the passenger seat. Other than that, along with a couple of niggling problems created by poor workmanship when I had the clutch done, it ran my H reg Primera very close as the best car we ever owned.

So "keep the Focus" would be my shout, though that opinion is from someone who knows nothing about Sanderos at all.

It is coming out at £20 per month but I am playing safe at £40. It is right try it for yourself

Can’t find a Dacia finance calculator online that allows you to input your own figures but if we break down your figures it doesn’t add up. A new base model Sandero Access costs £6995 and you’re saying they’ve quoted a part ex figure of £2,500 then 24 x £20 then a final payment of £3,000 well that’s only £5,980. That’s £1,000 less than the car costs and isn’t taking into account the interest at 5.9% APR which Dacia charge on their PCP. Even at £40 a month you’re still well off. I think you have your figures wrong. That said and accepting it’ll cost noticeably more than you think to take a PCP on a new Dacia I’d favour keeping the Focus. It’s a better made and more enjoyable car to drive and its Yamaha designed petrol engine is easily fit for big six figure mileages if looked after. Yes it will use more fuel but it’ll be better to drive over 20k p/a and it’ll lose far less money over the next two years. With such a high mileage you’ll find depreciation is probably going to be your biggest cost on any newer purchase and your Focus has little left to drop, in two years it’ll lose £1,500 at worst while a new £7k Dacia with 40k on it will drop £4-£5k.

Cheapest new Sandero 0.9 is around £8.5k (the 'Ambience'). Take away your £2.5k deposit and £3k final payment (to buy the car) that leaves £3K out of the total price. I have not looked into the Dacia scheme, but given that even interest free, the remaining £3k would cost £125 per month, it seems unlikely that you'd get away with paying £40 per month, never mind £20. Even at £40 per month, you'd be paying just under £6k in total for an £8.5k car. Seems unlikely, you sure the figure you are looking at is not weekly?.

Either way, i'd still favour the Focus. Good reliable cars, especially with that 1.6 Mazda designed engine.

Cheapest new Sandero 0.9 is around £8.5k (the 'Ambience'). Take away your £2.5k deposit and £3k final payment (to buy the car) that leaves £3K out of the total price. I have not looked into the Dacia scheme, but given that even interest free, the remaining £3k would cost £125 per month, it seems unlikely that you'd get away with paying £40 per month, never mind £20. Even at £40 per month, you'd be paying just under £6k in total for an £8.5k car. Seems unlikely, you sure the figure you are looking at is not weekly?.

Either way, i'd still favour the Focus. Good reliable cars, especially with that 1.6 Mazda designed engine.

I meant, Yamaha designed engine!

Getting senile :(

“I meant, Yamaha designed engine!

Getting senile :(“

Figured you were just testing us. ;-)
Ford Focus vs Dacia Sandero - Advice Please ASAP - TheGentlemanThug

Assuming you can live with the one car and not had trouble with the Focus already, I'd favour keeping it as well. I ran a 1.6 Zetec to 120,000 miles in six years and all the car needed was routine servicing. My Dad had a Mazda 3 with the same engine for 12 years and never had an issue with it.

Ford Focus vs Dacia Sandero - Advice Please ASAP - RichardW

Focus costs £195 a year to tax. Urban MPG is 32.5 - let's assume it will average 35, so it's going to cost £3242 to fuel (@1.25/l) + £195 = £3437 PA.

Dacia Sandero 1.5 Dci can be had pre reg for £0 Tax PA, and 70MPG urban (well, OK maybe not...!). Annual cost is £1660 @ 1.28/l. Makes it 2 grand a year cheaper to run - it will more or less have paid for itself in 3 years, and only have done only 60k miles with warranty, rather than 140k of the Focus without warranty.

I'm pretty sure I'd be looking to change the Focus, although there might be plenty of arguments against not having a Sandero after a Focus!!

As it says on the 1st post, the OP is looking at a 0.9 petrol, not the diesel.

Ford Focus vs Dacia Sandero - Advice Please ASAP - RichardW

Indeed, but at 20k/yr diesel makes sense (well, to me any way). I suspect the maths will be similar, slightly smaller savings by taking the petrol option. The 1.5 DCi is a proven unit however, whereas the 0.9 TCe looks to be less so.

Ford Focus vs Dacia Sandero - Advice Please ASAP - retgwte

Dacia's are not that good a deal on PCP. Because although their purchase price is good, the PCP also factors in bulk discounts, and projected resale value, so many other makes with higher list prices are more competive on PCP.

You can get a feel for where current PCP bargains are by looking at lingscars.com

Ling is good, and I am sure she will get you a deal better than any dealer regardless of which car you want, additionally she will be able to point out any special deals around the marketplace.

Sandero's can be a good buy new if you are paying cash, and know what you want. But I can see many other cars cheaper on PCP which would be just as good, if not better.

Edited by retgwte on 09/05/2018 at 16:49

new cars are flat rate road tax after the first year now, so £ 0 Tax PA wont be the reality, unless you get a very old pre-reg which was registered before that particular rule change, I think the first month of 17 reg year were the last ones which qualified for £ 0 tax indefinitely

Thats my understanding anyways

“My Dad had a Mazda 3 with the same engine for 12 years and never had an issue with it.”

The 1.6 Focus uses a belt driven Yamaha design but the Mazda 3 1.6 uses their own chain driven twin cam motor. Both excellent wee motors that’ll run and run if looked after.
Ford Focus vs Dacia Sandero - Advice Please ASAP - daveyK_UK
While I rate the focus in terms of the economics to keep it going (parts widely available and generally cheap) there is something reassuring about owning a new car that you can have trouble free motoring for 3 years.
Normally Dacia throw in an extension to the 3 year warranty upto 5 years on PCP’s so you should push for the warranty extension if you intend to keep the car.

One extra/option you must get with a Sandero or any Dacia is the space saver for £95 - the inflation kits are more hassle than they are worth

Not sure how much the media Nav head unit is as an d tea but it’s a pretty good unit, very easy to use
Ford Focus vs Dacia Sandero - Advice Please ASAP - Ian_SW

Personally, I'd rather drive 20000 miles a year in a 09 Focus than I would in a new Dacia Sandero.

Dacia's are excellent value, but a lot less refined than even older 'normal' cars. The Focus is also quite a bit larger which always equals comfort on longer journeys.

The Focus if maintained properly should easily last another 5 years even at 20k per year.

I've got a Dacia Stepway, I find it better than the hired Focii I drive occasionally...

Its not as bad as you would think

Customer service is poor, but then Ford is hardly great either

I've got a Dacia Stepway, I find it better than the hired Focii I drive occasionally...

Its not as bad as you would think

Customer service is poor, but then Ford is hardly great either

I’m not suggesting they’re bad cars, in fact I rather like Dacia’s no nonsense approach. But the Mk II Focus is one of the best used cars on the road and in my mind a much nicer thing to drive plus most of the value is out of it now yet it’s barely run in with a good 70/80k upwards of life left. Parts are cheap and every garage knows them inside out. The Renault Clio based Sandero is good but the 0.9 TCe motor is still untested with few if any big milers about but the older 1.2 and 1.5 diesel can do six figure mileages with ease if looked after. Same can’t be said about trim and paint on older Renaults but these are cheap enough to offset this.

Edited by SLO76 on 09/05/2018 at 21:54

I like the corporate Renault approach, of having a budget brand, using various tricks to keep costs low (same glass size for all cars in the range, using tooling from last generation renaults, etc), although they probably take it a bit too far, especially on right hand drive cars which are nowhere near as good as the left hand drive ones... no space for your left foot due to poor pedal layout, different boot lock, etc

But I dont like the way Renault/Dacia in the UK manage the sales/service or customer relationships, they do take the mickey, they do fail to fix obvious warranty issues, the customer service is so bad that those of use who could afford multiple cars or another car from their more expensive Renault range the next time will be put off.

And the way some things are hidden in the sales process is a bit close to being fraud, listen to the sales patter in the dealerships and the spare wheel is full size, the wheels are alloy, none of which is true, and the sales people dont know much about the cars - not knowing the basic switchgear etc

So I dunno, Dacia need to be bought with open eyes, but still not a definite second place to a second hand Focus

Ford Focus vs Dacia Sandero - Advice Please ASAP - Avant

So far this has all been about money. Although it's a vital consideration in car buying, it's not the only one.

I think - given that you say you use both cars - that the first thing to do is to work out with your other half how important it is to your lifestyle to have two cars. Some years ago, when my parents were elderly but both still driving, they had a car each but did no more than 3,000 miles a year in each. But they could afford it and it gave them freedom of movement.

To what extent do you both drive at the same time?

If you decide you can manage with one car, there's a strong case for keeping the Focus until something expensive goes wrong: with the recent cambelt change there could be plemty of life in it yet.

If you need two, maybe a cheap short-journey banger would do for now, with the Focus doing the main mileage: this way you could perhaps save for the Focus's ultimate replacement.

or if you only need the second car occassionally it can work out better to hire a car when the second one is needed. just own one car but flex up. hire cars can be super cheap especially if booked well in advance and being a member of the rental loyalty club.