Daewoo Matiz - Trailing arm replacement - rustonboy

Anyone got an idea how I can remove the 3 bolts from the trailing arm? One connects the trailing arm to the body bracket, and two connect the trailing arm to the rear axle brackets. Following the clear instructions in the service manual, I got the shock absorber loosened. I then loosened the 3 nuts on the bolts which pass through the trailing arm bushes. But I could not get the bolts out. I can just about get them to turn slightly (against the resistance of the rubber bush), but the bolts are clearly seized in the inner (metal) sleeve of the bush. Not brilliant access, of course, particularly on the forward bolt. Have applied WD40 and some modest tapping with a hammer, but thought someone might have been here before? Many thanks - rustonboy

Daewoo Matiz - Trailing arm replacement - elekie&a/c doctor

Heat is going to be your best friend here.Probably too dangerous to use an open flame,but one of these will do the job.www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-Heat-Inductor-Tool-Flamel...h

Daewoo Matiz - Trailing arm replacement - gordonbennet

As said heat, or angle grind them off and fit new bolts, if they are turning and its just the sleeve that is corroded to the bolt, then you should be able to leave enough bolt thread to grip with mole grips (or small Stilsons) to remove the thread from the presumably captive (welded in ) nut.

Another alternative, sometimes an impact driver (electric ones not that expensive these days) can make short work of such fittings.

If i expect trouble from such things i usually soak them with Plus Gas (not WD40) daily for a few days before attempting removal.

Daewoo Matiz - Trailing arm replacement - rustonboy

Thanks for your answers and advice.

I will try some (and possibly all) of those suggestions, but the laser heat inductor costs more than the car so I might try to borrow one of those, as I hope I will not be doing this very often :-)

Thanks again