Honda Stream - Engine Management light on 'new' 15 year old car - Benet

My wife likes large old Hondas. So we bought a 2003 Stream privately, full service history, recently serviced and MOT'd. Nice clean oil. On the way back from the seller's house the engine management light pops on - you couldn't make it up! It still drives fine though. On a car of this age, is this likely to indicate a * serious* mechanical problem?? All suggestions gratefully received.

Honda Stream - Engine Management light on 'new' 15 year old car - RobJP

Impossible to tell how trivial or serious it is. For that, you'd need a proper diagnostic code reader and (just as importantly) someone competent in actually working out what the fault is from the codes generated.

It's entirely possible that the vendor has had a light on in the past, and has just cencelled it with a code reader prior to sale. However, such action would be virtually impossible to prove, and, in any event, a private sale is 'caveat emptor', so you'd have no or minimal rights against them even if that was the case.

Do be aware that, as of the 20th May, and engine management light that does not extiguish itself on startup will be an MOT failure.

Honda Stream - Engine Management light on 'new' 15 year old car - elekie&a/c doctor
I’ll put money on it being a lambda sensor faulty.These are usually the only items that fail on a Honda petrol engine.It will drive fine without issues.

Well it's got an MOT till March 2019, so worst case scenario, we've got a year's worth out of it. Thanks.

Honda Stream - Engine Management light on 'new' 15 year old car - SLO76
Unlikely to be anything serious, I’ve never had any problems with Honda petrol engines. Only worries on these are rot and clutches, if both are fine then you can relax.
Honda Stream - Engine Management light on 'new' 15 year old car - John F

The EML in our 17yr old Focus Zetec came on when driving home in darkness and drizzle after sitting for a week in a cold wet Stansted airport car park two weeks ago. No obvious reason. It stayed on for a day or so, so I disconnected the battery, waited 5minutes, and reconnected - and reprogrammed the radio. So far it has stayed off........11months MoT left! So try disconnecting the battery - it apparently often works. How, I don't know. Possibly a sensor teetering on the edge of failure?

Honda Stream - Engine Management light on 'new' 15 year old car - Bromptonaut

USed to come on on my Xantia with monotonous regularity, usually aasociated with a slight 'gag' or hesitation when under hard acceleration. Went off again after a couple of restarts.

Fault codes suggested a faulty, perhaps just laggardly, valve in turbo circuit.

Learned to ignore it.

Honda Stream - Engine Management light on 'new' 15 year old car - nellyjak

My money would be on an 02 sensor.

Just get a code read done to confirm..and then replace.

I will definitely try that. Thanks.

I will definitely try that. Thanks.

Yes, disconnecting the battery has worked. Many thanks indeed!

Honda Stream - Engine Management light on 'new' 15 year old car - CrazyInWeston

Any number of things, I was very careful looking up ford focuses when I was buying my next car a year ago, (I wanted a ford focus) actively checking MOT histories and whatnot, the car I chosen was relatively free of failures on its MOT history and it came with a years MOT.

I test drove the car, nothing seemed out of the ordinary so I purchased the car. 4 miles later the EML came on (yes FOUR MILES LATER), I took it to a garage, they couldnt see anything wrong and erased the fault.

Cue several months and FIVE EML lights on later with said garage just telling me it was an error and thus deleting said code, I got fed up, I took it to another garage, they said that the cars VVT (variable valve timing) wasnt working, I'd need a new VVT valve which also meant a new cambelt and water pump since the whole system were interlinked together, £1000 to fix. I paid to fix it, and no EML since, and the car actually accelerates better now than before the fix. I can now go up Telegraph Hill on the A380 in Devon in fifth gear at 75mph.