Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - barney100

There you are driving along and the bulb failure light comes on. Some cars are a doddle, old CLK rear bulbs were simple to do but the rear cluster on a V70 Volvo require several plasters on cuts to my hands after changing them. You have to take the headlight off the V70 to get at the bulb. Why do they make it so difficult? Apparently some Renaults need a major effort.

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - SLO76
The Mk II Megane is a nightmare to do as are many French motors. Makes an utter mockery of their law requiring you to carry spare bulbs at all times when you need a b***** workshop and 4yrs experience as a mechanic to change one.
Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - nellyjak

My wife had a Renault Megane C/C for some years..that was a pig to change the headlight bulbs.

You needed the hands and arms of a Barbie Doll.!..but I did manage it a few times with just a few scraped knuckles.!

My old Volvo V70 was a doddle...but then it was "old skool"..a '99 model.

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - Galaxy

I would also agree the Renault Megane II.

My niece used to own one. She once paid a Renault main dealer about £30 to change a headlight bulb; I think they had to take half the front of the car off!

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - Alan

I saw this on a tv consumer programme once and they asked renault about this. Thier spokesperson said something allong the lines of they had designed thier cars for maximum safety and as an unfortunate consequence the bulbs were difficult to replace.

Bull s***e lies and try to fudge with techno speak. Just designers or a company who don't give a monkeys.

What about safety if your lights don't work.

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - Engineer Andy

I saw this on a tv consumer programme once and they asked renault about this. Thier spokesperson said something allong the lines of they had designed thier cars for maximum safety and as an unfortunate consequence the bulbs were difficult to replace.

Bull s***e lies and try to fudge with techno speak. Just designers or a company who don't give a monkeys.

What about safety if your lights don't work.

Indeed - it was on 5th Gear (Renault Megane):

youtu.be/nXCZ2v-nIF4

It took me well under 5 mins to change the headlight bulb in my old 1996 Micra, just going 'in' via opening the back of the light cluster. Sad to say, but typically French, in my view.

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - Leif

The original Ford Ka front lights were a nightmare. I managed once or twice, but eventually gave up and let the mechanic do it. He showed me the cuts on his hands that resulted.

Changing bulbs on the VW Up is really easy, and they lasted over 100,000 miles with plenty of dark winter commutes until both fronts blew at once.

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - Gibbo_Wirral

Pug 107 is a pain, there's so little room. I'm guessing the other similar makes are the same.

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - Snakey

My two worst cars for this have been the Megane as already stated and the Jag X type, lots of knuckle skin removed on that one!

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - madf

Run a Japanese car and the bulbs last 15 years without failing (Our Yaris) - and easy to change (I changed the headlapmp bulbs to Osram hight output ones when bought in 2005 - and they are still OK. WHich suggests it's the quality of wiring/connectors/bulb holders which makes a difference)

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - Ethan Edwards

Citroen Xsara Picasso bulb. Pig to get to so I let Hulfrauds do it. Gave the bloodied youngster a fiver for his pain.

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - Galaxy

Really easy to change the headlight bulbs on a Ford Mondeo.

Mark II - Just remove the top panel, front grille and take the headlamp unit out, just a couple of minutes work if you've done it before.

Mark III - Just pull the two retaining bars upwards and remove headlight unit. It's even quicker than on a Mark II.

Mark IV - Can't comment, I've never owned one!

Edit............Further to my previous post I don't believe that Halfords will do headlamp bulbs on a Megane II - I wonder why?

Edit2........You can't say H******** on here, apparently!

Edited by Galaxy on 25/04/2018 at 14:19

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - Steveieb
Renault Modus wins by a large margin.
A access via the wheel arch after removing the liner..

But the trick is to buy quality bulbs.
Wher can you get hold of the OE Japanese ones which must be filled with argon inert gas
Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - elekie&a/c doctor
Can’t see any of these being difficult.On a Bentley continental you have to take the front wing off!Easily done on the roadside.
Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - Leif
Can’t see any of these being difficult.On a Bentley continental you have to take the front wing off!Easily done on the roadside.

Well within the capabilities of a good man servant.

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - bathtub tom

Run a Japanese car and the bulbs last 15 years without failing (Our Yaris) - and easy to change (I changed the headlapmp bulbs to Osram hight output ones when bought in 2005 - and they are still OK. WHich suggests it's the quality of wiring/connectors/bulb holders which makes a difference)

What about French built Yaris?

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - madf

What about French built Yaris?

No idea. But Yaris forum I have been on for 12 years has had few (if any) posts about bulb changing..

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - Dovile

peugeot 107! both went around within a week of one another at 4 years old. i initially thought access to the bulbs seemed simple enough, but i just could not get the darn things on either side to budge!
i ended up resorting to taking the headlamps clean off the car in order to have better positioning for a harder tug.....i broke several clips attaching front corner archliners to front bumper + wings in the process. the front bumper doesnt sit quite so flush like before on one side (but the replacement bulbs are suuuper!)....

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - ExA35Owner

Citroen Pluriel. I gave up and went to Halfords. Their female technician said she was doing most of the headlinght replacement work because her smaller hands made it easier to get to the bulbs in many cars.

Do I remember back in the 70s a design where you had to drop the engine to get one of the spark plugs out? Can't be sure now but I think it was US, possibly Chevrolet....

Took my Audi A4 to halfords for a number plate bulb change and the technician managed to completely ruin the cross headed screw. But agreed to refund the fitting charge ! Had to get the lamp unit ground out and replaced with a new one.

The headlamps too are very difficult to change bulbs, and require professional help to ensure the rubber gasket is fitted after the bulb change to prevent misting up.

Oh for my old BMW 5 series.All the bulb holders are removable.

But whatever make of car ensure you use Osram or Lucas bulbs which are available from the factors but not from Tesco fuel station

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - colinh

Got so bad in general Spain has had to abandon the requirement to carry a spare set of bulbs - now deemed more dangerous to change a bulb at roadside than having a missing light

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - Bromptonaut

Not all French cars are bad.

On Cit BX, Pug 205 and indeed Pug 104 before the whole headlight assembly was retained by 'press studs'. Simply ease it off the studs, unplug the wires and take whole unit inside for care and attention. Xantia was a knuckle scrape on one side due proximity of battery but both Berlingos are straightforward and have been changed at roadside.

Roomster's are accessible but require a twist of bulb in fashion which is counter-intuitive and difficult for a southpaw like me.

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - Andrew-T

On Cit BX, Pug 205 and indeed Pug 104 before the whole headlight assembly was retained by 'press studs'. Simply ease it off the studs, unplug the wires and take whole unit inside for care and attention.

Actually, the 205 headlamp bulb is not hard to get to with the lamp in place. The 'press studs' can get a bit stiff with age, and it may be wise not to force them. The main bulb on the nearside may be a bit easier if the battery is moved aft an inch or two.

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - Sofa Spud

Any of these would be pretty awkward:

inventorspot.com/articles/uplifting-drives-top-10-...s

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - craig-pd130

The Vx Corsa D & E are swines for this, but sucker you in because removing the rear lamp cover and bulb holder is quite easy. It's the refitting of it and clipping it all back together that is knuckle-scrapingly, finger-slicingly awkward.

I managed it once by luck rather than skill, and since then have happily paid Halfords a fiver to fit it for me.

Halfords have got wise and now have a black list of cars not to touch.
Would make interesting reading but you will notice that staff usually refer to the list before accepting the job unless the manager is otherwise engaged.
Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - daveyK_UK

Renault modus

to chansge the bulb its a bumper off job

halfords wont touch them for their standard fitting price

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - TheGentlemanThug

My 2006 Accord could be pretty awkward on account of the washer bottle, battery and pipework being very close to the covers. Plenty of scraped knuckles in the time I owned it!

To give myself a break, I got Halfords to change them once. 40 minutes later they were done only to discover when I drove home that night in a downpour that the beam wasn't illuminating the road! Quite how Halfords managed to install the bulbs upside down still baffles me.

Needless to say, I suffered through scraped knuckles from then on.

Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - Bianconeri
Seems like we’ve been here before.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=87364
Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - NAthan smith
Easiest was my 06 plate mondeo. 2 clips headlight out change bulb and replace. Just like Lego!
Any - most awkward car to change a bulb on. - gordonbennet

I don't know why car makers don't adopt the method of many lorry current makers, Daf excluded still in the dark (literally) ages, where the headlamp units are hinged and by undoing two or three easily accessible decent sized retaining screw-bolts the whole unit swings out and all bulbs are there without the danger of dropping the thing on the ground.

I was a little surprised how awkward the frong sidelight bulbs were on my Landcruiser, possible for someone with tiny hands to reach down but for normal chaps its a case of fetch one battery out at a time to access them (handbook says take to dealer for these), the rest of the bulbs are all easy enough.

One way to get round the problem of an awkward bulb change is to fit OE bulbs that are filled with an inert gas as opposed to normal air which have the impurities that cause the bulbs to blow.

That's why manufacturers fit these special bulbs to save the hassle of fitting bulbs under warranty or having to deal with angry customers when they are presented with a bill for half an hours labour.

But is it possible to source these special bulbs ?

The nearest I have found is Lucas or Osram bulbs which certainly last a lot longer than the normal Ring brand