The week's most boring post - Colin Standing
Enough of this excitement. I can't take any more of testosterone-charged cars or even more fiendish ways of dealing with the constabulary, so a bit of boredom will do you all good.
All I'm trying to do is remove the inner rear door panel from a Megane, using my usual fine array of cutlery and gardening tools. I've spent a week unscrewing the door catch cover and the door handle, the latter refusing all allen keys, screwdrivers and curling tongues, but succumbing eventually to a rusty nail and a good swear word. Now the window winder- no screw visible, no apparent retractable collar. Do I have to use an axe to get it off please ?

Just in case anyone is so utterly tired of life that they care what I am doing, I have a dent in the door. £400 plus for a new skin; Mr Dent wizard does not consider his expertise appropriate. As we intend to keep the car for some time and thare is no paint damage, I'm going to try a gentle poke from the inside. That's if I ever get to the inside.

Oh how difficult life gets - when I had the old Wolseley 6/110 forty years ago, all four inners had to come off (at ten minutes each door) every year to receive a bucket full of WD40 to stop the rot, which started at age 3 months.
(not me, the car).

If you're still awake thanks. Colin
Re: The week's most boring post - Jon
Sorry to disagree, but I believe my post regarding the best time of year to buy a used car was probably more boring with only one reply (I would still like to know if anyone has any suggestions).

This could possibly qualify as the most boring reply to a post.

Best of luck with your door,

Jon
Re: The week's most boring post - Ian Cook
Colin

I'm sorry that I can't offer any constructive advice about how to get the door panel off a Megane - I can think of plenty off silly ones.

Haynes produce a workshop manual for this car (ISBN 1 85960 545 1), that might help.

How bad is the dent? Would it fill? I've done this quite successfully with the lower half of a ZX door, including aerosol painting.

Ian
Re: The week's most boring post - Michael
Have you tried looking in a haynes manual?
Re: The week's most boring post - John Kenyon
Michael wrote:
>
> Have you tried looking in a haynes manual?

If you were talking about a 1972 Vauxhaul Victor FE, you might have a chance
Anything post 1980 has next to nowt regarding body panel removal.

/John
Not true, John. The Haynes manual for the Xantia tells you exactly how to take off the door panels - and the instructions work.

Ian
Actually, did Colin start a wind up with all this technical talk about removing door panels? Perhaps I should have put my anorak on first!
Re: The week's most boring post - Dave N
There's usually a clip like an 'E' clip behind the handle. Push the trim back as far as you can and you should see it.
Re: The week's most boring post who are these Emai - Colin Standing
Hey, I'm overwhelmed by the responses. I thought only bored wino housewives stayed in all afternoon to reply to such tosh. But thanks anyway.
I was worried when the heading rather than the substantive topic caught the imagination, but then the nuggets appeared.
I'll have another try tomorrow at the door handle.
The Hayes Manual recommendations worried me though. I bought one about 1949 because I wanted to know why the carburretor (that looks wrong) was a problem, but all I learned was that the car had 27 different carbur...(you know the rest of the word) none of which looked remotely like mine and all of which looked the same. As the manual cost about what the car was worth I gave up an expensive and dangerous habit.

Now come on you lot - if you can reply to a load of rubbish about a door handle I'm sure you can drum up the enthusiasm to tell my first - yes FIRST (there should be a prize) respondent WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO BUY A USED CAR.
Thanks again
Colin
Re: The week's most boring post who are these Emai - Ian Cook
Colin

The best time to buy a used car is when your wife has finally got so pissed off at your failed efforts to fix her bent door that she throws you out and keeps the Megane anyway.

Keep taking the Pils

Ian
Re: The week's most boring post - Phil Goodacre
Colin, sorry can't help with the window winder but think of the immense satisfaction when you finally beat it. Regards your door dent, why are Dent Devils shying away from it, is it too big for them? Look at their web-site and it shows their remarkable skills and the scope of the size of dents they can cope with. I know that this will look like another ad but our network at Autorenew uses Dents Plus. I suggest you give them a ring and tell them that i recommended them. Contact number is 0208 665 1106.
Re: The week's most boring post who are these Emai - Andy
For what it's worth - I once 'undented' a front wing by sucking it back into shape with a sink plunger!
Apply the sucker slowly to it's fullest extent, then snatch it back quick & hard.
Job's a good'un!
Re: The week's most boring post who are these Emai - Mike Wright
I once used the lever operated suction cup, on the base of a kitchen worktop mincer (not Anthony Worrall_Thompson) to remove the dent from a Sierra door. Worked like a dream.