No offers - DavidHM
Some people are just delusional about their cars, aren't they? This goes beyond optimistic, although given the amount of money that's been spent on tarting this car up I can see why he'd want some of it back. On the other hand, there's nothing on there apart from an inch of alloys that a 16v Diplomat couldn't do better for half the money.

1994 VAUXHALL CAVALIER LS 2.0 8V, 1994, L reg. 109000 miles, red, 16 alloys, lowered 60mm, leather interior, K&N filter, tinted windows, twin exhaust, cd player, reliable, motorway muncher, alarm/immobiliser £2000 no offers (private) more info

At £2k, damn right he's getting no offers!
No offers - Morris Ox
He should have lowered it by another five-and-a-bit-feet...
No offers - Altea Ego
Wanna Bet? some kid with his cap on back to front will snap this one up, the K&N filter is the sweetner. The term "No offers" means its gotta be worth every penny
No offers - Miller
Some prices private owners ask for their cars are way out of touch with reality, sometimes I have been tempted to ring them them up and say something along the lines of \"Are you taking the michael!\"

And yes, I do need to get out more often!

I\'m a loser, baby....so why don\'t you kill me?!
No offers - Pugugly {P}
makes the Company hack (which has 27k less on the clock) look like a bargain at 500 notes.
No offers - king arthur
Some prices private owners ask for their cars are way out
of touch with reality, sometimes I have been tempted to ring
them them up and say something along the lines of \"Are
you taking the michael!\"

Me too. I sometimes feel like phoning up and asking, \"is there half-a-hundredweight of gold in the boot?\"
No offers - dan
Hell no-one's forcing you to buy them. ;)
I think its important to keep the second hand market boyant and slow this obsession with bLand new cars every other year. Does anyone phone up house-sellers and go "you want £320K for a 3 bed end of terrace in norwich that was only 'worth' about £80K 4 years ago! hahahahaha!"
No? How odd.
No offers - Rob the Bus
>>Does anyone phone up house-sellers and go \"you want £320K for a 3 bed end of terrace in norwich that was only \'worth\' about £80K 4 years ago! hahahahaha!\"
No? How odd.<<

I know what you\'re saying Dan, but house-sellers don;t generally set the asking price. That\'s more often than not down to the estate agent. Car-sellers, though, set the price themselves. I recently saw an \'M\' reg Mondeo hatch with 81k on it for £2495! Madness! The seller hasn\'t got a hope in hell of selling that car at that price.
No offers - Jase
That Cavalier is a total rip off. Its not even an ecotec (not that everyone would say thats a bad thing!).

I'm about to put my '95 V6 CDX up for sale. It has 95k miles,leather and air conditioning and I reckoned if I got £800 I'd be happy.

£2k for an 2.0 8v with comedy mods. Ha Ha Ha.....
CavV6 and cavWeb fan.
No offers - Rojer
But not many cars go up in price though now do they?

Also, estate agents don't 'set' the price. They offer to put it on for a certain amount which sellers either agree with or not.

At then end of the day, with either a house OR a car, you just offer what you feel is right don't you? Well, actually, many just knock of x% or x thousand off a huose because they think that a house price is set in concrete by real experts in their field. But that's their loss. As long as the buyer is happy.
rojer@lycos.co.uk
Astra, Renault 18, Renault 25 TXi, Astra Est, Passat Est, Mercedes 190E, Mercedes
No offers - joe
I do not object to people saying No Offers. If they are certain that they have set an attractive price and do not want to haggle, they should make it clear in the advert. Otherwise, someone might come a fair distance to look at the car, make an offer and be told to get lost. It only fair to make it clear in the advert.

He may have his reasons for overpricing the car. Perhaps he thinks that all the special features will entice a buyer. If he has overpriced, its only his loss, and only the price of a wasted advert at that.

What I do not like is adverts that do not set a price, but merely say "offers". I would never respond to an advert like this, as I could never be sure that the seller did not have unreasonable expectations. In any autotrader, there are always plenty of choices and so have to have some kind of filter to narrow down the field.

Is it just me, or does Jase's motor sound like a bl***y good deal?
No offers - Altea Ego
I think we have been here before in other threads, but none the less.

The price of anything is determined by what someone is willing to pay.

No offers - DavidHM
Joe - I don't object, and I guess that if he's willing to bet the price of an advert that he can get £2k for his Cav and get something better, then fair enough. But as a strategy for selling a car that you actually need to sell, I don't see how it can work.

If the car is overpriced then the only way to sell it is to haggle. If it's cheap, then it might go without haggling but you can tell the buyer that when he gets there. Even if you are selling it for the p/x price a dealer has offered, so you can renegotiate and get a better deal for cash, it is surely worth having a bottom line that only you know about. If the car is advertised so cheap that you really can't haggle any lower, then it's got to be worth sticking a few hundred on and seeing how much of that is left over at the end of the day.

Oh and Jase, there is nothing in Autotrader that comes close to your car for less than about £1100. There is a mint K-plate V6 for sale with only 59k for £195, but then it doesn't have an engine, not even a blown one.
No offers - FFX-DM
So I did quite well to get £600 for my Citroen AX 1.4TZD with 112K miles on the clock and no service history after 75K? I did allow the chap to haggle £50 off the asking price. Good of me, I think! :-)
No offers - FFX-DM
forgot to add, 1991 J reg!!!
No offers - Gen
Ah, but I'm afraid you are all misunderstanding the advert...lets look at it again...

1994 VAUXHALL CAVALIER LS 2.0 8V, 1994, L reg. 109000 miles, red, 16 alloys, lowered 60mm, leather interior, K&N filter, tinted windows, twin exhaust, cd player, reliable, motorway muncher, alarm/immobiliser £2000 no offers (private) more info

Let me translate it for the uninitiated

16" alloys = tax exempt
Lowered 60mm = parking privileges of a disabled badge
K & N Filter = insurance exempt
Twin exhaust = MOT exempt
Tinted windows = driving license exempt
Motorway muncher = free petrol at any garage

As you can now see, £2000 is not a bad price...

Can you post the phone number please, I fancy a look...