Toyota Celica - Failed Emissions Test MOT - celicatardis

My boyhood dream car has failed it's MOT and I need some advice please!

It failed it's emissions test. In fact, it was aborted after first fast idle test due to dense smoke from the exhaust.

I've had the car two years and it's passed it's MOT twice.

However, there has always been an issue with the engine warning light coming on but no mechanic has been able to diagnose the issue. It has also drank a lot of oil too through-out my ownership. I'm told this is a frequent problem with Celica's.

I'm not sure what to do as the mechanics have said that it's burning oil and think it could be a valve issue or rings. It will need inspecting further apparently. It might be fixable or I might need a new engine.

It was mentioned by a garage that it could be possible to pass the emissions test by changing the spark plugs (obviously this wouldn't deal with the deeper issue but might buy me some time in having the car fixed). But this could be a long shot.

I don't want to spend lots of money having it inspected only to find it's going to cost too much to fix.

Any advice please?

Thanks!

Toyota Celica - Failed Emissions Test MOT - gordonbennet

If its using too much oil the oil has probably coated the catalyst which is now no longer doing its job, though its entirely possible a serious thrashing over twenty or more miles might blow enough muck out to pass the test.

It might need a new cat, but you need to get to the bottom of the oil smoke before replacing it (if this is the case) or the same will happen again.

Another engine (maybe a complete damaged or rusty mot failure vehicle) would probably be a cheaper solution overall, same model so you swap over all parts needed, a competent home mechanic could probably cheaply rebuild the present engine, but if you need to pay garage labour rates this could well prove more than the car is worth.

Some people might slip a new cat on for the mot, then decat the thing for the rest of the year, but i couldn't condone suvh behaviour and some posters here might choke of their tofu at the mere suggestion :-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/04/2018 at 19:37

Cheers for the advice above.

I did drive about 45 mins to get to my MOT, so it went in hot anyway.

I'll give it some thought about what to do next.

Update: had a mechanic look into the engine today...

Spark plugs are terrible, in fact, so bad he had to take a picture and send to his colleague! He reckons they stopped making the ones I have in 2004, which could indicate they haven't been changed in all that time?! He doesn't think that a new engine is needed but new plugs, rocker cover, gasket, carbon clean is all that's needed. £70 inc. labour.

I won't hold my breath on this. I can see that it will probably help and if it gets me through the MOT then that's something but I think it's a deeper rooted issue as said. But you never know, maybe I'll get lucky! If not, worst case scenario, £70, fail the free retest and I'll buy another Celica. And sell this one for parts. If it goes through it's MOT, I'll still have it fully looked into afterwards, full service.

Toyota Celica - Failed Emissions Test MOT - bathtub tom
Spark plugs are terrible, in fact, so bad he had to take a picture and send to his colleague! He reckons they stopped making the ones I have in 2004,

Really? I've recently bought new plugs for a 1934 Austin 7.