Skoda Roomster - Alternatives to Roomster? - Martin Haworth

We are the kind of family that keep our cars, and run them into the ground. Recent cars include:

Fabia 1.9 sdi - sold it on as it approached 200K.
Yairs 1.4 d4d - currently on 120K, and going strong

The issue is that our family has grown. Our son who used to be 4 foot is now 6 ft. My wife and I are also tall. And we have a dog. And the lad and me like mountain biking. The Yaris isn't cutting it.

So factors include:

- good rear seat room

- decent boot for dog

- seats fold/remove easily and fit in two mountain bikes

- economy

- reliability and longevity

- performance not important to us

Following job change, we are now only doing 8Kpa, mostly city work with (say) 8 tiprs>200 miles pa.

Looked at Roomster, Meriva and CMax yesterday. The Roomster had most room for rear seats and for dog, + folded really easily. Wondering about the petrol given our usage now, possibly 1.2 tsi (105).

I like the look of the Honda FRV - but probably don't need anything that big.

Budget <6K

Suggestions and comments are welcomed.

Thanks

Martin

Skoda Roomster - Alternatives to Roomster? - badbusdriver

I think you may be getting your honda's mixed up as the FR-V is virtually the same length as the roomster. Though it is 12.6cm wider on account of it's 6 seat layout. Actually, for that reason, this would be a good call as you can whip out the rear seats, get your bikes in, but still have 3 seats available in the front. OK, the centre one is narrower, but as long as nobody is too, err, wide(!), it would be fine.

Thanks for this, I really like the FRV, though insurance group and fuel consumption are all significantly higher than the Roomster. However, the purchase price is relatively low for a 2009 model (c£4K for low miles one owner FSH). Hmmm, food for thought.

Skoda Roomster - Alternatives to Roomster? - SLO76
The 1.2 TSi motor was plagued by timing chain issues and VAG eventually gave up and reverted back to belts later on, sometime in 2013. Avoid the chain driven cars and go for the later engine and make sure the belt is changed on schedule, I believe it’s every 5yrs. It really is worth apending the extra getting the later engine with these.

I was recently asked a similar question by a neighbour. He was looking for similar space, plans on keeping longterm and initially had a similar budget in mind. I advised him to dig down the back of the sofa and find a bit more cash to get the vastly superior Yeti 1.2 TSi, post 2013 with the belt driven motor. He tried both, agreed with me and now has a lovely red Yeti on his drive that he loves.

I’d take a look at the Ford C-Max or Focus Estate both using the excellent Yamaha 1600 petrol too. Much nicer to drive than the Roomster and no real reliability worries. The Toyota Verso is another worthy.

Skoda Roomster - Alternatives to Roomster? - Bromptonaut

Citroen Berlingo or its twin the Peugeot Partner (08 on model) at trim level where you have 3 seperately removeable seats.

Remove offside rear seat and you can stow 2 upright MTBs fore/aft with, if you load them correctly, mucky chainsets enclosed between frames. Secure bikes to tie downs with ratchet straps.

Still got two full rear seats and the hound in his dog crate. Enough space in boot for squishy bags.

We have both Berlingo and a Roomster. The Roomie is a nicer drive but much less capacious, bikes would need a wheel off unless you mount them on hatch or roof. AFAIK cannot combine roof bars and panoramic roof fitted to some versions of Roomie - mine included. The Berlingo is BIG and requires precise placing in car parks etc but has a turning circle like a London Taxi.

Both ours are diesels but do enough (for Roomie just enough) miles to make that a rational choice.

Skoda Roomster - Alternatives to Roomster? - daveyK_UK

The romster is also sold as a van in europe, hence an equivelent van MPV would be a good alternative.

The best value is the Fiat Doblo, they plummet in value in the first 3 years which make them a great used buy. The 1.4 petrol engine is reliable and pulls fine around town.

The best all rounder is the Citroen Belringo Multispace, the Peugeot Partner Tepee is 99% identical but you pay a premium for the Peugeot badge

A Ford Tourneo Connect will be out of your budget, likewise a VW Caddy maxi life will be out of your budget - the Caddy MPV is nothing special anyway.

You should be able to pick up a Renault Kangoo MPV which are no longer sold in the UK for your money, but avoid the automatics which have poor fuel economy while also suffering from gearbox failure - plus the rear legroom in the Kangoo is cramped compared to other van based MPVs.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 11/04/2018 at 00:00

This is a good shout, and I am planning to get a test drive. I like the idea of the berlingo as I have a wood burner and am always collecting free wood when I can...

Skoda Roomster - Alternatives to Roomster? - SLO76

This is a good shout, and I am planning to get a test drive. I like the idea of the berlingo as I have a wood burner and am always collecting free wood when I can...

The Berlingo is a good shout, if you can find a petrol model. The 1.6 diesel is somewhat notorious for problems and not suited to low mileage use.
Skoda Roomster - Alternatives to Roomster? - badbusdriver

"The Berlingo is BIG and requires precise placing in car parks etc"

The Berlingo, at 4380mm x 1810mm, is no bigger than a ford focus hatchback (4360mm x 1823mm) so it really shouldn't require any particular considerations when parking. Compare it to what is considered by many these days, as a 'family car', the Audi Q5 (4663mm x 1893mm) it is positively petite!

Skoda Roomster - Alternatives to Roomster? - daveyK_UK
I wouldn’t completely write off a 1.6 diesel Berlingo Multispace if you can find one with proven service history and get the seller to knock off the cost of an engine flush and new oil.

These engines must have regular oil changes at no more than 12,000 Miles or 1 year.

The 1.6 petrol in the Berlingo is okay but sluggish if you need to move, this makes driving the vehicle more of a chore.
The 1.2 putetech petrol is simply brilliant, loads of power, good fuel economy and pulls the Multispace well.