Adding Cruise Control - AllTorque
Think hard before you part with your hard-earned for such a piece of kit. I find cruise control an overall liability which trims your safety margins in the UK too much. My main negative is when you catch up slower moving traffic on motorways and where you would normally slow automatically if you cannot go out a lane to overtake: 'acceleration sense' would usually let your right foot relax on the gas to avoid tailgating almost without thinking. With CC, you are likley to delay slowing down and avoid 'switching off' with the brakes (or the manual override) and you end up closing the gap to much. Also, if you dab the brakes to take it off, you set up another 'shock wave' behind you reacting to your stop lights flashing, which will stop the traffic in heavy conditions half a mile behind (they all copy your brake lights). Stay in conscious control of the car wherever and whenever possible.......
Adding Cruise Control - Vansboy
Once you do get it fitted,don't forget to let the rest of us know where the road is,in this country, that you'll be able to use it!
VB
Adding Cruise Control - robert
No disrespect - BUT thats spoken by someone who obviously dosn't have it ...............
Adding Cruise Control - neil
Couldn't agree more - the 'shockwave' effect of people braking when they see others braking is SO MUCH worse nowadays because of automatics and cruise controls.... people 'dabbing' the brakes.

Plus, how frustrating is it to be following, in the outside lane, someone who has set their 'autopilot' at an indicated 70... ie about 63... and feels that gives them the right to stay there 'because they're worth it'... and the outside lane goes where they're going as well...

Plus, if you fall asleep, you'll crash at whatever speed you've set...

The vast majority of punters can't work the controls they already have with any degree of accuracy - and have the attention span of a moth - so why add more toys and reduce their input even more?
Adding Cruise Control - chris p crisps ©
when you have cruise control and use it sensibly you realise how other vehicles speed changes up and down for no reason.Even on a clear motorway this happens, you suddenly catch up with other motorists start to overtake them then they wake up and suddenly pull away undertaking you.Why do they do it??

chris
Adding Cruise Control - johnCD
I think Chris is absolutely right. Having had a Ford Scorpio (with), a Saab 9000 (without) and now a Subaru Legacy (with), I was surprised how much I missed cruise control. Almost all of them have a flip-stalk facility to cancel the cruise control so unless you use it as a substitute for concentration, the brake light scenario just does not happen. Also, on motorway runs I find c.c. helps fuel consumption. Go to it Yoby!
Adding Cruise Control - Gen
Chris

Perhaps their speed is varying due to road conditions eg hill, and they don't want to push their car too much. I won't put my foot on the floor to keep my speed on a motorway hill. Big difference between a 3 litre Jag on 70mph cruise control and a 1.3 litre car which may be happy at 70 on flat but not up the hill.
Also can't believe cruise control lowers petrol consumption. A sensitive foot surely will use less petrol as will allow car to slow on a hill etc.
Adding Cruise Control - chris p crisps ©
Chris
Perhaps their speed is varying due to road conditions eg hill,
and they don't want to push their car too much. I
won't put my foot on the floor to keep my speed
on a motorway hill. Big difference between a 3 litre Jag
on 70mph cruise control and a 1.3 litre car which may
be happy at 70 on flat but not up the hill.

>>
Gen

Its not the slowing down bit that concerns me ,its when you overtake them and they wake up and put their foot down and start to undertake me.
chris
Oh I see,
Yes I've seen that before, I think they do it for 'fun'. Very irritating. Agree with that part. There are some drivers who seem to drive to annoy. Hopefully they will be taped by an undercover police car behind while undertaking...

Gen
Adding Cruise Control - Mark (RLBS)
This part of the thread was moved from Technical Matters.