2005 Nissan Micra automatic - How can I get into my Micra? - Neville Hillyer

How can I get into the driver's door or bonnet of a 2005 (K12) Nissan Micra automatic?

Its battery has been removed for charging and its nearside is close to a house wall.

I can move the bonnet safety catch with a screwdriver but as far as I can tell it will not release the bonnet.

I can open the nearside door but not enough to get into the car but I can get my arm in and, with a hooked pole, put a small pull force on the internal bonnet lever and the driver's door lever but neither appear to do anything. The bonnet may open with more force on its internal lever than I have so far been able to exert.

In theory I could connect the charged battery to something to activate the door locks but where can I find a satisfactory connection point?

Any advice would be appreciated?

2005 Nissan Micra automatic - How can I get into my Micra? - elekie&a/c doctor
Have I missed something here?How did you get out of the car if it was driven to it’s present position?

The nearside is close to the house wall.

I got out of the driver's door.

2005 Nissan Micra automatic - How can I get into my Micra? - bathtub tom

I can see how it happened. Parked close to wall, exited from driver's door, open bonnet, lock car, remove battery, close bonnet.

Have you access to a trolley jack? Use it to lift one end of the car and move it away from the wall.

2005 Nissan Micra automatic - How can I get into my Micra? - elekie&a/c doctor
If this is the scenario,then the drivers door may be deadlocked,and will not be able to be opened from inside unless there is battery power.

Driver's door being deadlocked sounds dangerous to me. Are you sure this is possible? Is it documented on the web?

Away from home with limited resources - trolley jack 300 miles away.

May try lifting with bricks and plank of wood as a lever.

If lifting works may try either:

1 - moving it away from wall if I can find something to slide it on

2 - getting access to battery terminals or starter motor

3 - getting better view of bonnet catch

2005 Nissan Micra automatic - How can I get into my Micra? - skidpan

Driver's door being deadlocked sounds dangerous to me

Our 2005 Micra did not have deadlocks, don't think the 2007 Micra had them either. What they both had was a plastic cap on the passenger side door handle that you slid off to access a keyhole. Sounds like the OP has accessed that and opened the door but not very far.

We had a similar problem when out racing one weekend. Mates little lad was just able to get in through the gap and open the drivers door.

Other than that the simple option is to break a window but make sure you have plastic to waterproof car before you do it.

I intend to try everything I can before damaging the car.

Could the driver's door lock be stuck? I can pull the lever all the way. While doing this I have tried pushing the door with a broom but I can't get it to open. Any thoughts?

I am not getting email notifications here. Have I forgotten to set something?

2005 Nissan Micra automatic - How can I get into my Micra? - Ian D
Are you in the AA or RAC or equivalent? If so ring up and say you are locked out of your car, although I would omit to mention the battery is not in the car! I am sure they could get in/use a jack to move it or something

Afraid not.

2005 Nissan Micra automatic - How can I get into my Micra? - FP

Might be worth paying to be a member, if only to solve the problem.

2005 Nissan Micra automatic - How can I get into my Micra? - FP

"I am not getting email notifications here. Have I forgotten to set something?"

No-one gets e-mail notifications.

2005 Nissan Micra automatic - How can I get into my Micra? - bathtub tom

Could you bump or drag the back of the car sideways, perhaps with a tow rope pulled by another car?

Now resolved.

Thanks to all those here who tried to help.

Working alone I raised the rear of the Micra, one side at a time, using a 2x3x90 inch piece of wood as a lever combined with several bricks and much smaller pieces of wood. When raised I put a 17 inch square piece of hardboard, rough side down, with a piece of polythene on top under each wheel. With bricks as spacers I used the piece of wood to lever the nearside rear wheel well away from the wall.

When in the car I was able to pull the bonnet release with sufficient force to open the bonnet. The driver's door would still not open at this stage so I assume it was deadlocked - I will investigate this further later.

I had already charged the battery with a very old Netgear 12 volt DC power supply. Not recommended to anybody without sufficient electrical experience. This power supply had an open circuit voltage considerably higher than 12 volts. Charging progress was monitored with a digital multimeter.

The Micra now appears to work OK.

I must remember not to park so close to walls especially without the car being used for several weeks. I am not sure if the inside light was left on but I will check this more carefully in future.

I don't like leaving the bonnet unlatched even with the battery removed - perhaps I will investigate an emergency way of opening it from outside of the car. An emergency 12 volt input point outside of the car may also have its uses.