VW Polo - VW Polo 2018 95 PS SE - Leif

My VW Up is six years old with 130,000 miles on the clock, so I am soon to replace it before it starts playing up. Obviously it could go on for years without issues, but I don’t want the worry. I’ve had cars before that cost a fortune once the mileage rose. Anyway, I’m decided on the VW Polo 2018 SE 95 PS. My requirements are good MPG, a decent boot for ice hockey kit, comfort and a nice cabin. Are there any must have add ons? I couldn’t see a heated front windscreen option. The only downsides I can see are the stereo upgrade is Beats, which I loathe (overhyped, excessive bass, poor quality sound) and the paint, mainly white, black and silver, with some so so colours. The energetic orange might be okay, but it’s a bit left field and unusual. Oh for a nice metallic red, or metallic dark blue, or metallic yellow.

Edited by Avant on 19/03/2018 at 23:30

VW Polo - VW Polo 2018 95 PS SE - Avant

VAG don't seem to have mastered the electrically heated windscreen: it isn't available on the Audi Q2, even as an extra, so I would imagine that the same applies to the Polo. That'll be one of th few things I'll miss about the V60 when it goes.

Otherwise the extras that I always insist on are a spare wheel, lumbar support and parrking sensors - ideally also a reversing camera.

Reassuring to know that your Up is still going strong after 130,000 miles. Yours must have been one of the first Ups sold, and I suppose because of the problems with Fords, there has been doubt about the longevity of the new wave of small 3-cylinder engines.

The mileage implies that you've done plenty of long journeys in it. Have you enjoyed it?

Thanks Avant. The spare wheel is a must. I have had so many punctures in the app. The lumbar support is interesting, I do have sciatica.

My Up has been excellent, very reliable, solid build, functional, good mpg. Frankly it has convinced me that VW are a decent brand. The only negatives are the 10k service interval and the lack of recirculation on the heater. Obviously it’s more basic than a Polo or Golf. And not as refined.
VW Polo - VW Polo 2018 95 PS SE - oldroverboy.

Be happy that there are 10K service intervals, and make sure they include oil changes.

left of field, try a kia piccanto 1.0l 3 cyl, get a free 3 year service pack and a 7 year warranty, IPossibly the 1.0 litre in the rio soon as well and the hyundai i10/i20....

Rio same size as polo, piccanto similiar to UP!

VW Polo - VW Polo 2018 95 PS SE - veloceman
New Ibiza is on the same platform as Polo.
Available with same engines also.
From what I understand does most things as well if not better than the Polo. Auto Express named it their best super mini.
Interior not quite up there with the Polo but will be a lot cheaper and much improved over the Up.
Better std equipment than the Polo too and certainly not as dull to look at.

VW Polo - VW Polo 2018 95 PS SE - oldroverboy.
New Ibiza is on the same platform as Polo. Available with same engines also. From what I understand does most things as well if not better than the Polo. Auto Express named it their best super mini. Interior not quite up there with the Polo but will be a lot cheaper and much improved over the Up. Better std equipment than the Polo too and certainly not as dull to look at.

New Fabia too soon...

VW Polo - VW Polo 2018 95 PS SE - skidpan

New Fabia too soon...

The Fabia due is June is just a mild facelift with new headlamps as the main difference externally. Under the bonnet the main difference is the PPF on TSi models.

The next all new Fabia is due in 3 years which is hardly surprising since the existing one is only 3 years old.

The Fabia is way better value that either the Polo or Ibiza, that is why we have one on order.

But not everyone wants a Skoda badge on the drive.

VW Polo - VW Polo 2018 95 PS SE - veloceman
My dad ran a Skoda dealership from when the Rapid was in production to the time when he retired 7 years ago.
VW dumped all the small loyal dealers in favour of the large retail park dealerships we have now.

I remember arguing with him that they should have changed the Name and Logo when VW took over.
How right he was, what a transformation of a brand.

I remember one summers day he said he had a treat for us when he got home from work.

- He turned up in Brand New Rapid Convertible demonstrator in yellow.

He was most upset when we said we would only go out in it with the roof up so nobody would recognise us!
New Ibiza is on the same platform as Polo. Available with same engines also. From what I understand does most things as well if not better than the Polo. Auto Express named it their best super mini. Interior not quite up there with the Polo but will be a lot cheaper and much improved over the Up. Better std equipment than the Polo too and certainly not as dull to look at.

I should take a look as it is essentially the same car. I think the Polo looks better, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, and all that. I’m not convinced it’s much cheaper given similar options though. The available paint colours are better.

Be happy that there are 10K service intervals, and make sure they include oil changes.

left of field, try a kia piccanto 1.0l 3 cyl, get a free 3 year service pack and a 7 year warranty, IPossibly the 1.0 litre in the rio soon as well and the hyundai i10/i20....

Rio same size as polo, piccanto similiar to UP!

Those were on my list but I want something a bit bigger than the Piccanto and i10. I decided against the i20, as it’s not so good inside, and a bit dour outside. Probably good cars, but money is not tight so I don’t have to squeeze out value.

VW Polo - VW Polo 2018 95 PS SE - SLO76
I bought a used Polo 1.2 TDi Match a few years ago for my wife to use for Uni. Compared to rivals we tried the Polo was the better car when it came to high speed stability and refinement. The diesel also has that added slug of torque that the 1.2/1.4 non-turbo petrols lacked while the TSi motors were at the time rare and much more expensive plus mostly came with daft fat wheels that ruined the ride.

I’ve only driven an UP once as a courtesy car while the Polo was in for a service and I found it a very decent little car around town but at higher speeds it was much less stable than the Polo and lacked oomph though you can forgive a 1.0 city car for that.

If I was looking for a high mile use supermini I’d buy used to limit the depreciation. Small cars like this are hit badly by above average mileages when it comes to residuals and the new Polo is an expensive little car. But cost no object it certainly would be my choice for a high mileage small hatch. More refined and stable than rivals and someone will always buy it despite high miles.
VW Polo - VW Polo 2018 95 PS SE - Avant

From what you say, I think the Polo should suit you very well. The only other suggestion I'd make is to look and see what deals are available on the Audi A1, which is going to be replaced later this year.

SWMBO's A1 is far and away the best small car we've had: we chose it over the Polo as we could have it with the 1.4 TFSI engine (this was at the end of 2016 when the other VAG smal cars couldn't be had with the 1.4); good PCP deals were available as Audis hold their value particularly well.

You may well have thought of the A1 and eliminated it - in which case good luck with the Polo.

Thanks. That is now on my list of cars to try, a bit expensive but if the inside and ride are a step up, it’ll be worth it. Interesting you mention a new A1. That will be a Polo with Audi plushness, for want of a better word. I might wait for that to appear, and be reviewed.

I will pay cash so PCP deals are not an issue. I tend to keep cars until they are approaching the end.
“I will pay cash so PCP deals are not an issue. I tend to keep cars until they are approaching the end.”

Makes sense on such high mileage but I’d personally be buying nearly new/used to cut the costs as whatever you buy will be worthless when you flog it. A late model previous gen Polo TSi or 1.4 TDi would be high on the list for me, possibly an Audi A1 too which is a nice thing if you avoid fat wheels and sports suspension.

Here’s where I’d be rather than spending £15k plus on a new one. It’ll be worth the same at 130k or so.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171202175...4

I will pay cash so PCP deals are not an issue. I tend to keep cars until they are approaching the end.

PCP's are great when used to your advantage.

The deal I have just got on the Fabia included a discount of £2000 for taking out a PCP. If I let the PCP run for 36 months I will pay approx £1700 interest thus I am better off than paying cash.

However, when I bought the Leon on a PCP i apid it off after a week and kept the £2000 contribution, when we had the Note I paid it off after 12 months keeping most of the contribution (and 3 years free servicing and the extra £500 contribution for being an existing Nissan owner) so well in pocket on that one. When the Fabia arrives I will in all probability pay that off immediately.

Used correctly the manufacturer PCP deals can be great. But if you are a total muppet and use them to buy a car you cannot afford only you are to blame.

Do your sums, its not that hard.

Skidpan: Interesting. I can get a healthy discount from a broker, which comes to about £2,000 for a Polo. So there is no penalty for paying off a PCP immediately?
“I will pay cash so PCP deals are not an issue. I tend to keep cars until they are approaching the end.” Makes sense on such high mileage but I’d personally be buying nearly new/used to cut the costs as whatever you buy will be worthless when you flog it. A late model previous gen Polo TSi or 1.4 TDi would be high on the list for me, possibly an Audi A1 too which is a nice thing if you avoid fat wheels and sports suspension. Here’s where I’d be rather than spending £15k plus on a new one. It’ll be worth the same at 130k or so. Auto Trader: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171202175...4

I have thought about nearly new. If I buy a nearly new 2017/2018 model Polo, the price is no better than going through a broker for a new car, assuming I buy approved which does provide assurances compared to a private purchase. As for the previous Polo, it never really floated my boat, I’ll try the new Polo and see if the older one would be better. Used approved Audi A1s are a bit pricey.

VW Polo - VW Polo 2018 95 PS SE - daveyK_UK

colleague purchased a 67 plate polo 1.0 se , its nice enough but never worth the £14,700 he paid for it new.

He paid a big premium for the badge

VW Polo - VW Polo 2018 95 PS SE - Smileyman

colleague purchased a 67 plate polo 1.0 se , its nice enough but never worth the £14,700 he paid for it new.

He paid a big premium for the badge

That's well over £2k more than I paid last August for my SEAT Toledo, 17 plate and 8 miles when I picked it up.

Skidpan: Interesting. I can get a healthy discount from a broker, which comes to about £2,000 for a Polo. So there is no penalty for paying off a PCP immediately?

No penalty at all, just ring VW finance and ask for a settlement figure. If its within 14 days of buying the car there will be no interest to pay but a small asmin fee.

With the Fabia we got a £2200 discount from the broker and then the £2000 deposit contribution form Skoda. If the £1000 test drive bonus is extended beyong the end of March we should get that as well. £5200 off makes it a cheap car, much better value than a mechanically identical Polo that has less kit.

From what you say, I think the Polo should suit you very well. The only other suggestion I'd make is to look and see what deals are available on the Audi A1, which is going to be replaced later this year.

SWMBO's A1 is far and away the best small car we've had: we chose it over the Polo as we could have it with the 1.4 TFSI engine (this was at the end of 2016 when the other VAG smal cars couldn't be had with the 1.4); good PCP deals were available as Audis hold their value particularly well.

You may well have thought of the A1 and eliminated it - in which case good luck with the Polo.

I sat in a Polo today, decent enough but it felt like a Ford in terms of plastics, okay but not very plush. I also sat in an Audi A1 S line, the A1 did feel like a much nicer place to sit with a much nicer feel to the plastics in the panels and the stereo etc. It felt like aluminium was used for the stereo knobs for example. Big boot, but the rear seats were pokey. Not sure what the SE feels like. I am tempted to wait for the new Audi A1. No doubt it will not be cheap, but the plushness appeals! I’m sure there is a better word. The VW Polo has a 4-6 month wait for a new build!

Thanks all. I discovered yesterday that there is a six month waiting list on new builds, and since I am happy with a standard spec (includes spare wheel) I can buy off the shelf. I asked several dealers to match an online broker. Both said they would not do it on a factory build, but they would do it on cars in stock, but this weekend only as they need to shift stock by the end of the month to get a bonus from VW.

I also looked at the Audi A1 yesterday and today. It has some lovely touches such as aluminium door levers, but underneath it’s still the old Polo, with some hard plastics in the cabin, poor leg room in the back, and an okay but not great boot. The new Polo is very roomy. Nice car, but you pay a premium. The new Audi A1 is due soon, but it is unlikely to be discounted, and there might be a waiting list, plus the price will be higher than the current one. So it could end up £4,000 more expensive.

To cut a long story short, I paid a deposit today on a 1L 95PS TSI Polo in reflex silver. Not a popular colour apparently. Energetic Orange is nice, but I’m not sure I wouldn’t tire of it. I was told I could take out PCP to get a £500 discount, and pay it off the day I collect the car, with no penalty. So I did that. So basically I got almost £2,000 off list price, with collection next weekend subject to the PCP credit check. According to the VW site, I’d be pushed to get a used low lineage demonstrator for that price.
A nice car, well bought. Hope it serves you well. It’ll be interesting to see how it copes with your heavy usage so please come back and keep us informed. It’s a front line candidate to replace our Polo one day.