Nissan Qashqai - Which cars have Active DPF regeneration? - Paul Cliff
Hi all,

I currently have a Nissan Qashqai 1.5 dci and looking to get another diesel in the next few months.

Preferably diesel and automatic.

I like the fact that my current Qashqai has active DPF so it allows me to do short journeys as well as long ones.

I like the Nissan Xtrail as it would suit my needs with a growing family and being over 6ft.

Are there any other cars that have this Active DPF technology as I cant seen to find anything on the web other than what Active DPF tech is?

Thanks

Paul
Nissan Qashqai - Which cars have Active DPF regeneration? - Ethan Edwards

I just replaced a JJ10 Qq 2litre dci 4wd Auto with a VITARA S 1.4 petrol turbo auto. I'm 6ft4 and it has plenty of space. Go try one. IMO that engines a belter.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 17/03/2018 at 22:35

Nissan Qashqai - Which cars have Active DPF regeneration? - SLO76
“I like the fact that my current Qashqai has active DPF so it allows me to do short journeys as well as long ones.”

Curious as to what you mean. All DPF equipped cars carry out active regeneration. It’s simply how you describe the process it’s not a separate technology. The Renault 1.5 diesel is very clean running however and these rarely suffer DPF issues though as with any Renault they suffer badly as they age from trim and electrical problems plus timing belts are prone to failing early.

The Xtrail is again just another rebadged Renault, based on the Megane platform and uses the same engines. If you’re buying or leasing new and offloading before 3-4yrs then there’s no reason not to go for one but if you’re buying used or keeping longterm I’d look elsewhere. There’s good reason why you see far fewer older gen Xtrail’s about than Toyota RAV4’s and Honda CRV’s. Don’t buy it expecting Japanese reliability and quality.

Edited by SLO76 on 18/03/2018 at 09:11

I have a diesel qashqai and I drive 10k maxiimum miles per year and have never had problems with the DPF. I read somewhere in this forum that the active regeneration runs better in the Nissan/Renault.

My problem is do I have another nissan or are there any other diesel car that would suit my needs with non-DPF problems.

I have looked into petrol cars and because I want an SUV or estate and occasionally have a heavy foot a petrol is just too thirsty especially as most are strapped to a turbo and I live and work where there are plenty if hills

“I have looked into petrol cars and because I want an SUV or estate and occasionally have a heavy foot a petrol is just too thirsty especially as most are strapped to a turbo and I live and work where there are plenty if hills”

Modern turbocharged petrol motors are more fuel efficient than the normally aspirated models they’ve replaced not less. For example the latest Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo produces 40bhp and 50lb/ft more than the previous non-Turbo 1.8 yet it does noticeably more mpg and costs less to tax.

The new CRV using the same 1.5 Turbo should be worth a look if funds allow and VAG’s 1.4/1.5 TSi petrols are very close to the diesel brethren for economy and performance. Honda’s 1.6 diesel as used in the current CRV and HRV is a great motor and not prone to DPF issues. Due to a change of job mine is now used largely for local short runs only and it’s yet to cause any grief, touch wood.

Edited by SLO76 on 18/03/2018 at 11:01

Problem is with any of the petrol tsi units they are all thirsty especially if I want a automatic box with it.

I had a Ford B-Max 1.0 ecoboost and I got 300 miles on £55 a tank, my mate does 250 miles in his scooby for £60. Yes they are low emissions but very s***e on fuel as you need to put your foot down do get the car with people in it to move, real world mpg should overrule combined figures.

My colleague has a vw golf SV with a 1.5 tsi DSG in it, the most he is getting out of his car is no more than 35 mpg, god knows what it would be like in an estate or SUV with a family of 4 in it.

My mom had a CRV 1.6d auto and she had nothing but DPF problems with it, cost her a few expensive trips to Honda.

I do stop start driving with a bit of 40mph max for a 5 minutes two or three times, I have never had a single problem with the DPF so I guess that Nissan (Renault) have got it right and I think I’ll be looking at an Xtrail diesel next, need to try the Xtronic first as I’ve heard mixed reviews.
Nissan Qashqai - Which cars have Active DPF regeneration? - Avant

"My colleague has a VW Golf SV with a 1.5 tsi DSG in it, the most he is getting out of his car is no more than 35 mpg, God knows what it would be like in an estate or SUV with a family of 4 in it."

Either he does his driving in town or he has a heavy right foot. SWMBO's A1 1.4 TFSI does 45 / 55 mpg (local trips / long runs respectively) thus comfortably beatng my diesel V60 (40 / 50 mpg). Admittedly the Volvo is bigger and an automatic, but it's a torque converter automatic and DSG carries little if any penalties regarding consumption compared with a manual.

“My mom had a CRV 1.6d auto and she had nothing but DPF problems with it, cost her a few expensive trips to Honda.“

What age was it? I suspect it was actually the older 2.2 diesel if it was an auto. The 1.6 was only on sale for a short time as a twin turbo with auto transmission and it isn’t prone to DPF problems at all. On the older engine though not common it isn’t unheard of if used for local stop start driving.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/03/2018 at 06:43

Nissan Qashqai - Which cars have Active DPF regeneration? - Engineer Andy
“My mom had a CRV 1.6d auto and she had nothing but DPF problems with it, cost her a few expensive trips to Honda.“ What age was it? I suspect it was actually the older 2.2 diesel if it was an auto. The 1.6 was only on sale for a short time as a twin turbo with auto transmission and it isn’t prone to DPF problems at all. On the older engine though not common it isn’t unheard of if used for local stop start driving.

Seems like the 1.6TD may have some DPF issues - they're reported on the Good and Bad section of the current CR-V review, though, as you say, it looks like its related only to stop-start usage only, not regular longer distance driving as they were designed for. At least Honda appear to be fixing most under warranty, possibly because some less honest dealers have been caught out mis-selling people diesel-engined cars for predominantly low mileage, short trip from cold usage.

“My colleague has a vw golf SV with a 1.5 tsi DSG in it, the most he is getting out of his car is no more than 35 mpg, god knows what it would be like in an estate or SUV with a family of 4 in it.”

Typical returns on the much larger Skoda Superb with this engine are closer to 45mpg so either something was wrong with his car or his driving. As for the Subaru figure we’ll they do tend to be quite juicy.
“ I guess that Nissan (Renault) have got it right and I think I’ll be looking at an Xtrail diesel next, need to try the Xtronic first as I’ve heard mixed reviews.“

If you want to buy another Nissan then there’s no reason not to however if you want the more knowledgeable contributors on here to back that choice up then few possibly none will knowing how poor Renault’s are in the longterm. Buy it, enjoy it then offload before the warranty is up or pay to extend it and you’ll not have anything to worry about.
Duplicate post deleted.

Edited by SLO76 on 18/03/2018 at 10:57

Nissan Qashqai - Which cars have Active DPF regeneration? - skidpan

For example the latest Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo produces 40bhp and 50lb/ft more than the previous non-Turbo 1.8

Correct but not the whole story.

The old 1.8 had 140 bhp and 128 lbs of torque (@ 4300 rpm)

The new 1.5 turbo has 182 bhp and 177 lbs of torque (@ 1900 rpm)

The old 1800 needed ragging to get anything like decent performance. If the new 1500 drives anything like a VAG 1.4 TSi (which it should) it will be in a different league. Shane they don't fit it in the HRV, if they did we would ahve looked at that car with more interest.

As for active regens all DPF equipped cars do them but the intervals and the way they go about it are very different. 2 examples.

BMW 118D EURO 4. Did an active regen pretty much on a had-hoc basis but when they started they could last up to 30 miles. If you turned the engine off during a regen it would start up again the next time the engine achived nomal opererating temp. In 5 1/2 years averaging 7000 miles a year we had no issues

Kia Ceed CRDi EURO 5. Did an active regen every 300 miles (250 after a software update) and lasted about 15 minutes/15 miles on the motorway if you stuck to the 60 mph recommended in the manual. Go faster or slower and the regen would be noticably longer. If you turned the engine off during a regen you had to guess when it would recommence, could be anywhere between 50 and 100 miles with no apparent logic. In 5 years averaging 8000 miles a year we had no issues.

Nissan Qashqai - Which cars have Active DPF regeneration? - Engineer Andy

For example the latest Honda Civic 1.5 Turbo produces 40bhp and 50lb/ft more than the previous non-Turbo 1.8

Correct but not the whole story.

The old 1.8 had 140 bhp and 128 lbs of torque (@ 4300 rpm)

The new 1.5 turbo has 182 bhp and 177 lbs of torque (@ 1900 rpm)

The old 1800 needed ragging to get anything like decent performance. If the new 1500 drives anything like a VAG 1.4 TSi (which it should) it will be in a different league. Shane they don't fit it in the HRV, if they did we would ahve looked at that car with more interest.

I agree its a real shame that the latest HR-V only comes with the 1.5 petrol engine in N/A form - all that R&D money wasted on a otherwise decent car that only has two engine options - an underpowered, slow N/A petrol engine and a decent diesel, but which is wholy unsuitable for the type of low mileage, shorter journey driving that most of those likely to buy it will be doing (see 1.6TD issues with the CR-V). I have no problem in them offering a N/A petrol version, but couldn't they have at the very least used the far more appropriate1.0 turbo petrol?

Nissan Qashqai - Which cars have Active DPF regeneration? - Brit_in_Germany

I guess it depends on how you define "clean running" but the diesel Qashqai has been reported to be one of the most polluting cars in terms of NOx output, being in band H on the EQUA database.