Audi A4 - Need a reliable car - Andy willetts

Hi guys, new to this site so hi all. Just need a bit of advise about buying my next car. Im a carer so need something reliable, i do a lot of stop-starts which is killing my Audi. Also cos im an Audi driver id like something with a bit of 'umpth' so sporty looking. Nothing brand new but within the last 6or7 years. Cheers guys

Audi A4 - Need a reliable car - skidpan

Also cos im an Audi driver id like something with a bit of 'umpth' so sporty looking. Nothing brand new but within the last 6or7 years. Cheers guys

That gives us a wide range of choices. How about a nice Ferrari or even another Audi such as an R8. Both very sporty with plenty of 'umpth'.

Or perhaps you have a budget to keep within and other needs such as 4/5 seats, an estate for the dog. More info might help us.

Audi A4 - Need a reliable car - nellyjak

Something reliable, you say.?...let me start you off with 2 words..."Buy Japanese."

...but as skidpan says...more info wouldn't go amiss.

Audi A4 - Need a reliable car - craig-pd130

'A lot of stop-starts' = don't buy a diesel, whatever you do, as stop-start work is likely to result in unreliability and big bills.

Something with the VW 1.4 litre petrol turbo engine (not the 'twincharged' motor) from the past few years (Seat Ibiza / Leon, VW Golf, Skoda Octavia etc) would have a fair bit of go and look nice.

Audi A4 - Need a reliable car - Miniman777

I'd avoid diesel and avoid the DSG gearbox like the plague if it were Audi/VW/Skoda/Seat.

But as someone has said, buy Japanese, as the perception of premium quality German cars is a bit of a myth really. With most cars, you can be lucky, or not so lucky.

Audi A4 - Need a reliable car - daveyjp
When a vehicle is a tool of your trade you need to select the best for the job.

For me it would be a Toyota Hybrid, certainly not sporty, but it will cope with stop start and get good mpg. Ask any taxi driver with a Prius.
Audi A4 - Need a reliable car - klu01dbt

Good point. No idea of how reliable they are but plenty of Renault Zoe and Nissan Leaf cars on autotrader at £6-8000. If just doing short distances and you have somewhere to park/charge would an electric car be suitable?

True mate. I thought buy german diesels theyl run forever but iv been shocked at how unreliable and expensive they can be. Cheers pal

Thanks mate thats interesting

Audi A4 - Need a reliable car - klu01dbt

Stop start 'district nurse' style driving will kill any engine. Constant starts and never getting up to temperature are bad news.

The best car for this sort of driving, assuming you are doing it in a city is a small cheap city car with a small engine. The small engine gets up to temperature quickly, its easy to park outside a client's house, a cheap car is hopefully cheap to fix and the horrible fuel consumption you get from running a car cold all the time is less with a small car.

Without knowing your budget or other needs its hard to say more. Are you getting a new car on a 3 year deal, or are you buying 2nd hand and planning to keep for a while?

I do a similar sort of driving, but I chose the smallest cheapest car I could find a 1.1 Fiat Panda which is excellent for the job ( I fix it and service it myself, not that much has gone wrong). However it is far from sporty.

If you are happy with a city car by and by they are all much of a muchness, especially if on a PCP and getting rid after 3 years. Get whichever one from a mainstream brand you like the look of (Some have sporty versions or cosmetic special editions) and can fit whatever equipment you need in, so cars like to VW Up (or Skoda/Seat versions), Citreon C1 (or Peugeot/Toyota versions), Panda or similar.

If you need a bigger car, or want something different you need to decide what compromise you are going to make.

Edit: Re-reading your post I see you say nothing new. I'd still go for a small car though even 2nd hand if suitable for your use simply for ease of use and cheapness or repairs.

Edited by klu01dbt on 13/03/2018 at 18:25

Audi A4 - Need a reliable car - daveyK_UK

Honda Civic type R

Audi A4 - Need a reliable car - KB.

All a bit pointless innit? Opening post was vague and not especially concise hence the responses were "variable" in their helpfulness.

Some topics are great and invoke entertaining and helpful replies ... but usually only in response to a point that was reasoned and half sensible in the first place.

Audi A4 - Need a reliable car - SLO76

Your a p.... ??

Correction... you’re a p....!

Edited by Avant on 20/03/2018 at 11:15

Cheers yeah iv been looking at the Seat Leons they look ok.

“Nothing brand new but within the last 6or7 years. Cheers guys”

Covers anything from used £1m Bugatti to £1,000 of Fiat Panda. Budget required.
Audi A4 - Need a reliable car - Metropolis.

Not sure of your budget so i've gone for where most of us seem to live..

Subaru Legacy R Spec:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180122297...1

Mazda 6 2.3:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180310444...1

If it were up to me, i'd go for the subaru!

Audi A4 - Need a reliable car - badbusdriver

The OP did not give much to go on, but he did say, "up to 6 or 7 years old".

Cheers yeah iv been looking at the Seat Leons they look ok.

Leon's pre March 2013 (Mk 2) were not a good car. The quality was poor and the engines questionable.

Leon's post March 2013 (Mk 3) are excellent cars especially the 1.4 TSi 140 PS version

Audi A4 - Need a reliable car - Steveieb
Did you say what engine your A4 has.
If it's the 1.9 Tdi it will probably go on for ever.
Probably one of the best Diesel engines made and hard to replace.

2.0 TDI Sline. Already had new Turbo and dreaded oil pump overhaul. Probebly spent 3k on it so far but its done 100k + so i should have known. Cheers pal

2.0 TDI Sline. Already had new Turbo and dreaded oil pump overhaul. Probebly spent 3k on it so far but its done 100k + so i should have known. Cheers pal

Another xxxx

(Edited - the word you used could have been interpreted as offensive, which I'm sure it wasn't)

Edited by Avant on 19/03/2018 at 23:23

Avant

I used the exact same words as the OP did when aswering posts above. Yopu have modified my post amnd not thiers, why?

(Apologies Skidpan - I hadn't seen the others. Now deleted.)

Edited by Avant on 20/03/2018 at 11:16

Guys i was trying to reply to 1 arsy message but seems some of you got the same one. Apologies, like i said im new to the site lol

Guys i was trying to reply to 1 arsy message but seems some of you got the same one. Apologies, like i said im new to the site lol

What you may have interpreted as an “arsy message” was (certainly from me) merely pointing out the lack of information in your origionals post. It was meant in good humour as is often the norm here with our regular contributors. Don’t take offence so quickly and life will be so much more enjoyable.

??