VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - killie77

Due to the recent bad weather. I've found it very difficult getting around.we have a Jetta 1.4 automatic. Had to dig it out of the Snow the other day and it was struggling to go up inclines and such. I'm wondering if fitting Snow/Winter tyres for the winter months would be an idea or possibly look for a second hand small 4x4

Thanks

Ian

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - daveyjp
Winter tyres will transform the handling of any two wheel drive car. A colleague has them on his Vectra and he had no trouble getting around in hilly Yorkshire this week. His Mondeo with summer tyres was useless.
VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - corax

Usually, VAG cars are pretty good for grip in the snow with plenty of weight well forward of the front wheels.

I wonder if you have well worn summer tyres (some summers can be surprisingly good in winter if they have the right tread pattern and plenty of it)

Otherwise go for a good set of winters or all seasons - cheaper than changing the car if it's serving you well.

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - Simon855

I doubt very much if winter tyres will transform the handling to be honest. They will however, increase traction.

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - badbusdriver

I doubt very much if winter tyres will transform the handling to be honest. They will however, increase traction.

Winter tyres are not just about pulling away or braking, but also to be able to go round corners without ending up in a ditch.

Ergo, winter tyres will transform the handling on snow or ice.

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - Simon855

They really will not. But if you believe they will then that's fine.

I lived in Germany for 7 years and the handling on my cars was not transformed when they were fitted with winter tyres.

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - badbusdriver

Not sure why you mention living in Germany, do you feel that fact makes you an expert?.

I have read and seen winter tyre tests in magazines before, at least one of which was conducted in Germany as it happens (at continental tyres), so 'belief' has notheing to do with it, i have read the results with my own eyes, on just what a transformation having proper winter rubber makes on a car's handling on snow or ice.

Then there is davegp's post regarding his colleague's vectra and robJP's post regarding his experience with his own BMW. On top of that i also have my own experience of the difference proper winter rubber makes some of the cars i have owned in the past. Or are you suggesting that any improvements in handling with winter tyres are figments of our imagination?

If you choose to believe they don't make a difference, or that somehow staying on the road going round a corner instead of sliding off does not class as a transformation in handling, then that is your choice.

OK, let's consider a car with badly worn shock absorbers, it'll handle poorly. Agreed?

Will the handling be transformed by fitting winter tyres? Nope, it'll still be dreadful.

I mentioned Germany as winter tyres are well established over there, moreso than over here. I ran my wife's Smart on winters, handling was still poor..

Like I said previously, if you believe they transform the handling you are incorrect.

OK, let's consider a car with badly worn shock absorbers, it'll handle poorly. Agreed?

Will the handling be transformed by fitting winter tyres? Nope, it'll still be dreadful.

I mentioned Germany as winter tyres are well established over there, moreso than over here. I ran my wife's Smart on winters, handling was still poor..

Like I said previously, if you believe they transform the handling you are incorrect.

Well i guess if you believe (wrongly) that grip is not a factor of handling, then you are correct.

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - skidpan

4 x 4's are only really of use if you live in the country and get week after week of seriously bad weather every winter with deep drifts to navigate. With a 4 x 4 you still need winter tyres.

A 2wd conventional car with winter tyres is better than a 4 x 4 on summer tyres plus because its normally lighter a 2wd car will brake better, pretty important in my opinion.

We have used winter and propper all season tyres since about 2009 and the difference they make is huge. With a BMW i never had an issue (if you igore the idiot who managed to get stuck outside out house and block the street) and even then with TC in the correct setting moved off no issues.

If your mileage is not great I would suggest you look at the new breed of all season tyres such as the Michelin Cross Climate, Goodyear 4 seasons, Vreidestein Quatrac and Nokian Weatherproof, no need for 2 sets of wheels and expensive TPMS valves if your car has them) and providing you choose good ones the performance is almost up with winter tyres in the snow and better in the wet and dry.

Whatever you do make sure they heve the 3 peak snowflake symbol, without it they will possibly be useless. M & S has no official meaning, you can stanp it quite legally on a summer tyre.

We will be fitting all season tyres to the Fabia later in the year, not sure what brand yet but probably the Vreidestein or Goodyear.

But since winter is almost over I suggest you wait until September/October time, they will be cheaper then.

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - RobJP

As others have said, really.

I've got a RWD BMW estate, and they're notorious for being utterly useless in snow/ice. With a set of Pirelli Sottozero runflats it's quite amazing how it just keeps going along, on ungritted snow-covered lanes here in rural North Wales.

I put the winters on in November, and they stay on until April.

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - killie77

Thanks for all the replies.

Was leaning towards the all weather tyres, and thats what im going for :)

Will as advised wait till september/october . My local COSTCO does michelin tyres so hopefully will pick up some all season ones their

Thanks

Ian

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - Manatee

Bit late for this winter.

All-seasons fitted by November?

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - Mr Carrot Cake

Too late for this year, and next year we might get no snow!

Doesn't matter if we get snow or not. Because we will get hard frosts, icy patches on roads, etc. Even in those circumstances, winters are hugely better than summers.

I think it was Fifth Gear ran a test on an ice rink, showing the difference in cornering ability on ice. Quite an eye-opener.

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - Mr Carrot Cake

True but you seldon get ice rinks as they grit most roads.

True but you seldon get ice rinks as they grit most roads.

I'm guessing you're the sort of person who doesn't use winters, has never used winters, and thus doesn't see the point in them ?

Oh, along with probably living and doing most of your driving in major towns, cities and motorways - virtually all 'darn sarf' ?

Would I be correct in my assumption ?

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - FiestaOwner

They're All Seasons tyres, never too late to fit them, as you can use them all year round even if it doesn't snow!

The OP has had difficulties with his standard summer tyres, that's why he asked for advise. He has had many good answers.

It sounds as if Mr Carrot Cake has never had any practical experience of winter or all seasons tyres. The other people who answered have valuble experience with them and recommend them!

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - Bolt

It sounds as if Mr Carrot Cake has never had any practical experience of winter or all seasons tyres.

Neither have I, but only ever had a problem with a triumph 2000 years ago which was useless in the snow.

my Civic has been almost perfect in the snow, excepting a corner where everyone else before me had spun their wheels to make it an ice rink, I managed it in the end on standard tyres- so it can be done...

I found on my travels so many people using too many revs spinning the wheels instead of trying to get traction by low revs, but have also been told certain cars wont go without using the revs which can defeat the excercise

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - galileo

Driving around this week up and down snow-covered minor roads I had no problem with VredesteinQuatrac5 s on the i30. (We are quite near the moorland stretch of the M62)

Got home one day and a large Mercedes with 18 inch rims and the usual wide low profile tyres was struggling to move on our dead level road.

Having had interesting times in the 1960's when I had a Zephyr 6, from force of habit if there is snow I still put a shovel and a bag of sand in the boot, if you have summer tyres this can be helpful.

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - corax

It depends hugely on where you live. Inner London is very different to the wilds of Yorkshire or Scotland e.t.c. Or you may live in a particularly hilly town anywhere in the country.

I wouldn't put my faith in councils to lay out the red carpet wherever you go - they can only do so much, they can't work miracles and it's up to people to have some responsibility for themselves.

On a slightly different subject, can lorries not be supplied with all seasons? Something that companies could fit all year round and not have to have money invested in storing sets of full winter tyres for those few weeks of bad weather.

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - gordonbennet
they can't work miracles and it's up to people to have some responsibility for themselves.

They're fainting in the aisles at this very moment, checked the calendar when i read that, thought i'd been beamed back 30+ years in time, unfortunately not.

Take care Corax they'll be sending you for re-education if you carry on speaking the common sense truth like that.

As for lorries, it's all down to cost, they want the highest mileage possible and in recent times the move is to lower rolling resistance, i've yet to see a winter tyre on a lorry that either isn't from a cold country or goes there regularly, only ever seen them on one coach too.

Personally i haven't had a grip issue this week, the secret is to keep moving, and there are also some tricks one can perform using the air suspension on artics where its possible to increase the weight on the drive axle by between 5 and 7 tons, temporarily obviously you wouldn't go down the road like that it's purely to get the thing up an incline, tried to explain that to one of our agency lads not 2 hours ago (long day today due to a sick note doing their usual), he couldn't understand or maybe didn't want to...as for me i have every intention of getting home and every bit of knowledge that helps i'll gladly store in what's left of me mind.

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - Engineer Andy

Due to the recent bad weather. I've found it very difficult getting around.we have a Jetta 1.4 automatic. Had to dig it out of the Snow the other day and it was struggling to go up inclines and such. I'm wondering if fitting Snow/Winter tyres for the winter months would be an idea or possibly look for a second hand small 4x4

Thanks

Ian

A couple of things to bear in mind:

1. How old is your car and realistically how much longer do you intend to keep your car? Even if buying at the cheapest time of the year, a set of all-weather tyres, and especially winter tyres are far more expensive than summer ones.

2. How old and how worn are your existing (summer) tyres? If they are 6 years old or more, or are worn below 3mm, then they will give even poorer grip in these conditions due to them becoming hard/brittle (all-season and winter tyres are softer compounds so they can work better in the cold [below 7degC, around Oct - Mar/Apr depending upon location] temperatures) and/or the tread being less effective.

If your existing tyres match the conditions in point 2, I would suggest you source some all-season tyres unless you have the money for winter ones or need them because you live in a location (as Skidpan says) that gets VERY bad weather in winter (not just the occasional day or week of snow) for extended periods, especially very hilly and rural areas that roads aren't gritted and/or well used.

Note that if you did want to buy winter tyres, you must have sufficient space to store the other set or pay a local tyre outfit/garage a reasonable sum to store them for many months (likely not cheap), plus, if your car has low profile tyres (below 50 profile, especially below 40), you will get far better traction/handling out of the winter tyres if you purchase a set of smaller steel wheels and matching higher profile winter tyres.

You'd need to check with your manual/dealership to confirm the minimum wheel diameter/tyre width and correct size of tyre that is possible to fit over the brakes and have the same circumfrence as the lower-profile tyres - many modern cars, especially range-topping/Sport models have bigger brakes and cannot accomodate much smaller wheels or skinnier tyres. This is why, if you can stick to all-season tyres, then its better to do so.

If you are experienceing really bad problems even in relatively average snowy conditions (less than a couple of inches) on a regular basis, I would say that its likely that your existing tyres aren't up to the mark generally, and/or your driving style isn't conducive to doing so in snowy/icy conditions - people with a heavy right foot or more aggressive driving styles fair less well than smoother, but confident drivers. Other threads on the forum have discussed this as it can make just as much difference as the tyres themselves.

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - Big John

A couple of things to bear in mind:

Even if buying at the cheapest time of the year, a set of all-weather tyres, and especially winter tyres are far more expensive than summer ones.

Michelin Crossclimate tyres are only a little bit more than the equivalent Michelin Summer tyre

The difference in poor winter weather is great but they are amazing in the weather that normally hits us in the UK - rain. However I've also found them good drving through Europe in 30deg C + temperatures.

I'm still "using up" a set of winter Continetal TS850's (that are also great) but going forward i'll stick to my Crossclimates .

My lift share also has Crossclimates and last week when we had some terrible snow/ice conditions they were great - especially compared to the other cars struggling

VW Jetta 1.4 tsi - Should I fit Winter tyres or look for a 4x4 vehicl - smallcar
I second getting Michelin’s cross climates on my CRZ. Have had them a year and they are quiet, comfy and in recent conditions have been most reassuring.