Jaguar X-Type 2.0d SE - X type update - joegrundy

I was gratified that some forum members were interested in, and motivated to post on, my threads about the car and my misadventures when it broke down in France last year. Pierre the pirate mechanic's misdiagnosis (injecteur, monsieur, €1500) - no, turbo pipe has come off - were funny viewed from a distance.

So, just an update. Car went in for MOT and service on Monday to my trusted indy. I was a little apprehensive - she's done 175,000+. Passed MOT no problem, same advisory as last year - there's some play on n/s/r trailing arm bush but not enough to worry about yet.

What was more encouraging was that I always ask him at service or interim oil/filter changes (I get them done at about 5,000 mile intervals) to give the car a thorough going over for potential problems, including those outside the MOT. Nothing of concern was found, and I took the opportunity to ask about the prospect of a trip to Andorra this year (2,500 miles). He could see no reason not to undertake the journey, and I trust his judgement.

The service and MOT cost £190 inc. VAT (he uses Forte flush and diesel clean) and interim oil and filter changes are about £50.

I bought the car, more or less sight unseen, for £2,700 five years ago at 132,000 miles. It has been, I think, one of my better purchases. I hope to run it it to 200,000 - if only to watch the odometer change.

Jaguar X-Type 2.0d SE - X type update - badbusdriver

Excellent to hear there is plenty of life left in the old dog yet!

Jaguar X-Type 2.0d SE - X type update - joegrundy

Yes, and the car's not doing badly either!

Jaguar X-Type 2.0d SE - X type update - badbusdriver

:)

Jaguar X-Type 2.0d SE - X type update - SLO76
I love cheap car tales. Was a hobby of mine until the gaffer demanded newer and (so called) better. Started when I was a trainee salesman in the 90’s and I realised just how good some of the old trade-in motors were. I often flogged sub £1,000 cars that went on to give years of reliable service to an owner who had no monthly payment to worry about nor did he have to strategically park it in fear of dents and scratches.

I love the feeling of beating the system and in keeping an older and rarer motor running. Often they’ll get more attention than even the best shiny new model as was the case in the near immaculate Ford Cougar V6 I was running around in last year to save the miles on the CRV. Cost me £300 and nothing more than £45 Mot fee plus a little bit of fiddling with the wiring for the rear lights. Hey presto one reliable (if a bit greedy) V6 coupe that sounded amazing when giving it the beans. Wish I’d never sold it on but a £500 profit after 6mths of driving is cheap motoring.

Chap at work has a very neat Rover 45 he hoovered off an elderly relative and it’s discussed more often than the Golf R’s and Focus ST’s etc it shares a carpark with. Quite rare up here thanks to the salty roads and never ending rain.

I fully intend on returning to bangernomics when the lease on our CRV comes to an end unless they give me too good to refuse deal on buying it off them. It’s been a good big car but utterly dull in every way. The old bangers I ran before it were far more entertaining and having something that needs a wee check and tinker every so often is more me than another new(ish) bland mobile.
Jaguar X-Type 2.0d SE - X type update - V4 Heaven
Good news joegrundy, glad to see the old car is going well.

I've mentioned on here before about my 240,000 mile Toyota Carina E 1.8 GS Petrol so I won't bang on about it.

I dug out the original autotrader advert last night that I printed off when I purchased it. I paid £3,700 for it in 2002 and it had 42,000 miles on it. I'm just about to add another 200k to that tally!

Like you, I would jump in it tomorrow and drive the 1,600 miles straight down to Naples in 24 driving hours, just like I did after I bought it in 2002.
Jaguar X-Type 2.0d SE - X type update - SLO76
“I've mentioned on here before about my 240,000 mile Toyota Carina E 1.8 GS Petrol so I won't bang on about it.”

Highest mileage car I’ve ever sold was the previous gen Carina to this, a 2.0 XLd 5dr with 452,000 miles under its belt. Other than a squeaky clutch pedal there was nothing that gave its massive mileage away when you drove it either.

Toyota still do build some models which are capable of gargantuan mileages but they’ve pretty much given up on sub 2.0 diesels, choosing instead to buy in BMW 1.6 and 2.0 motors. Their own 1.4 is pretty bad for DPF problems too and is best avoided if it has one fitted. The petrol motors can run and run if looked after.
Jaguar X-Type 2.0d SE - X type update - gordonbennet

Excellent news Joe.

Still a pretty car too, much more interesting and pleasing to the eye than the current blobs which all look the same to me, just some are slightly uglier than ugly ones.