Ford Focus - Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.0 Engine Failure - Emma McIntyre

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can help, My Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.3 63 Plate is in the garage and I have been advised that it would probably be easier to get a new or good quality second hand engine, The annoying thing is that this has happened 12 days out of warranty and only a couple of months before it is due to go back to Motorpoint, so at the moment we are paying £250 a month for it to be stuck in the garage as we figure out the best way to go about things as obviously this kind of fault does not come cheap, also any help with regards to where to look for a second hand engine etc are much appreciated, Thank you

Ford Focus - Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.0 Engine Failure - FP

I would not accept a garage's view that a replacement engine is needed without some fairly detailed reasons.

With this car, what are the problems and what are the solutions, with costs, short of engine replacement?

Call me cynical if you wish, but there are too many instances of garages misleading customers, particularly where a female is concerned - and I do not wish to imply any disrespect in this case.

P.S. The heading says it's a 1.0, but the text says 1.3.

Edited by FP on 20/02/2018 at 14:40

Sorry it is a 1.0, You are quite correct, I know nothing at all about cars so they could be telling me anything, apparently the oil hasnt been filtering through the engine, although we have had no warning lights etc, the first sign something was wrong was when the car started juddering and making a rattling sound, we then stopped driving and RAC towed the car straight to the garage, the mechanic has said that he advises replacing the engine as he isnt experienced in these kind of engines and he could start changing parts that dont make a difference and then the cost can add up and end up needing a new engine anyway

Ford Focus - Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.0 Engine Failure - RobJP

In that case, I'd suggest getting it to a competent mechanic !

Ford Focus - Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.0 Engine Failure - FP

"... the mechanic has said that he advises replacing the engine as he isnt experienced in these kind of engines and he could start changing parts that dont make a difference..."

That is an astonishing admission of incompetence. The mechanic is in effect saying, "I don't know how to repair this type of engine, so let's throw it away and get another."

As Rob says, you really need to get the car to some garage that knows its stuff.

Edited by FP on 20/02/2018 at 16:10

OK thank you, I will look in to getting it moved ASAP, does anyone know if it sounds as though it may not be quite as drastic as a new engine or is it a case of getting someone who knows to have a look and going from there

Ford Focus - Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.0 Engine Failure - gordonbennet

Its all guesswork, unless someone's pulled the dipstick (assuming the car has one, getting rare now) and found no oil at all, no one knows if its lack of oil pressure/flow that has caused the engine to start making odd noises, and no one will know until someone competent strips the thing enough to make a reasonable judgement.

If the oil has stopped flowing then its entirely possible that a used complete engine may prove to be the cheapest option, but some initial dismantling first to determine what has happened and why, then a fair judgement can be arrived at how to proceed before the costs of full strip down, only to confirm engine scrap anyway, have to be borne too.

Who you go to i couldn't say, as the car is only just out of warranty maybe there some goodwill offer to be gained by going back to the selling garage assuming it was the Ford dealer, much will depend on service history for this course of action, if it's been serviced on time especailly by the maker's dealer then goodwill will be likely more forthcoming, if its missed services or the present mechanic has started dismantling then that's going to muddy the waters.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.0 Engine Failure - TickersPlaysPop

This is surprisingly common and there are 100's of people who have had engines replace for free, even out of warranty. There is a list of registration plates of poeple that have experienced engine failures.

For info on how to get Ford to replace the engine for free see the open Facebook group

www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare

Find the pinned post at the top pf the group page. You will need to be strong with Ford and follow the pinned post to the letter.

Kindest regards