How much difference does a roof rack make to MPG? - badbusdriver

I recently bought an ex British gas VW caddy which has a roof rack. For a couple of reasons, i have been thinking about removing it.

I am not getting as good economy as i expected, OK i have only done this once so far, but i worked it out at 42.6 MPG. I realise, given my usage, this is probably not too bad, but given my connect (known as being less efficient than most small vans) averaged 39-40MPG , i was a little dissapointed not to be getting more and wondered just how much difference a roof rack might make?. By far the biggest majority of my main road driving is on single carriageway A and B roads, where i tend to drive between 50MPH (which is what i am legally supposed to be doing) and 60MPH, but usually closer to 50 these days as the caddy seems happier there (it is a 2.0 sdi, so 70BHP and fairly low gearing). I cover around 10k miles per year and at a guess i'd say about 80% of that would be driving to and from where i am working, the rest being short stop start runs from house to house in whatever town or village i happen to be working in.

think there may be some water leaking in through the roof fittings. It hasn't happened more than a couple of times since i got it, but the odd drop of water coming from somewhere around the edge of the drivers sunvisor.

If the roof rack could make a big difference to the economy, i'd be inclined to remove it, otherwise i'd try putting some sealer round the fittings on the outside to stop the leakage. BTW, the roof rack is a fairly small one with 4 mounting brackets, two cylindrical bars across from side to side and a small ladder bracket.

Any relevant experience or opinions gratefully recieved!

How much difference does a roof rack make to MPG? - skidpan

Take the roof rack off and calculate the mpg over a few fill ups. You will have the answer then.

How much difference does a roof rack make to MPG? - Engineer Andy

From a quick Google search on the interweb, it seems that:

• It depends very much upon the speed that you are driving (the faster, the more the influence of drag from roof racks/boxes and bike carriers - similarly to having windows open), and;
  • The shape/profile and weight of anything you are carrying. An aerodynamic roof box may well work better than 'old style' bars-type rack if full (and carrying the same weight), but may not if empty due to the larger surface area.

I suspect the weight will be more important as the shape at lower-medium speeds, but less of a factor at faster (above 40/50mph) speeds, where drag is significantly increased with speed (if I remember correctly, its a 'square law' - double the speed, quadruple the drag).

Auto Express did some research (at Milbrook) on this, but I wouldn't call it a proper scientific study, but still worthwhile.

As Skidpan says, test it over similar conditions over a reasonable number of fill-ups to be sure.

How much difference does a roof rack make to MPG? - gordonbennet

My gut feeling is at the speeds you are travelling at normally, not a great deal of difference.

I would have assumed that you need the rack for your work, but if you don't why not remove the thing anyway, alternatively look for another rack that has the two parallel bars only fixed, with clip in cross bars which take seconds to remove when not needed, obviously it needs to be sensibly priced (used?) because it might take a long time to recover the cost in any fuel saved...could you alter the present rack to make the cross bars removable?

I'd be jacking the van up and checking for dragging brakes, and checking the air intake is all clear.

How much difference does a roof rack make to MPG? - Mr Carrot Cake

My gut feeling is at the speeds you are travelling at normally, not a great deal of difference.

Will make a significant difference at 70mph.

Similar to having an open window which is less of a penalty than air conditioning at low speeds but above 50mph an open window is worse than air conditioning.

How much difference does a roof rack make to MPG? - Andrew-T

If the roof rack could make a big difference to the economy, i'd be inclined to remove it, otherwise i'd try putting some sealer round the fittings on the outside to stop the leakage. BTW, the roof rack is a fairly small one with 4 mounting brackets, two cylindrical bars across from side to side and a small ladder bracket.

If it's just an empty rack I wouldn't think the drag would make a big difference at reasonable speeds. Loaded - clearly much more.

I would also guess that trying to seal the fittings without dismantling may not be 100% effective either, so if you are removing it, do the job properly.

Thanks for the replies!.

I would have already tried just taking it off, but was concerned about how much of a faff removing it would be, in particular i was thinking about all the interior roof trim and the clips. But having done some research, the trim clips look easy enough. I just wondered if anyone had worked out MPG with and without a roof rack, just to get an idea.

GB, as a 'pure water' window cleaner i don't use ladders, just the telescopic poles, so i don't actually need it for work. But due to various 'home improvement' projects over the next few years, it may well be useful to have. So i will have a look at the rack to see if the cross bars are removable, otherwise i may well look into the prices of the type you describe.

Andrew, yes you are probably right re the sealing, i just wasn't looking forward to what i thought could be an akward job getting the interior trim and rack off, but am a little more confident now that it shouldn't be too difficult.

How much difference does a roof rack make to MPG? - corax

bbd, does your roof rack making any whistling noises as you drive? My old roof bars on a previous car were square jobbies that were very annoying on the move above a certain speed.

I've got aero roof bars kept permanently attached to the Forester for work. They are tear shaped and are superb in comparison, absolutely silent. I know the car isn't exactly aerodynamic but I have noticed no extra drag since putting them on (I forget that they are on) where the square ones were terrible.

There are plenty of companies out there that make aerodynamic roof rack systems for vans, incorporating aids like rear rollers built into the back for sliding heavy ladders onto the roof.

bbd, does your roof rack making any whistling noises as you drive? My old roof bars on a previous car were square jobbies that were very annoying on the move above a certain speed.

I've got aero roof bars kept permanently attached to the Forester for work. They are tear shaped and are superb in comparison, absolutely silent. I know the car isn't exactly aerodynamic but I have noticed no extra drag since putting them on (I forget that they are on) where the square ones were terrible.

There are plenty of companies out there that make aerodynamic roof rack systems for vans, incorporating aids like rear rollers built into the back for sliding heavy ladders onto the roof.

Not that i am aware of, even when i drove it up from North West England to my home in North East Scotland. But the engine is quite vocal, to the point where i will at some point look at some kind of soundproofing!.

How much difference does a roof rack make to MPG? - argybargy

Why not leave the rack on, stick fins to it and add go-faster stripes?

Even if it doesn't improve your MPG it'll make a style icon out of your van. ;0)

How much difference does a roof rack make to MPG? - Bolt

I remember Mythbusters on Sky doing an experiment to see whether certain myths were real regarding drag and mpg.

roof racks were the same as having windows open, the mpg was not affected enough to cause concern. ie, their was no difference in fuel consumption with either, only that some makers of roof racks were noisy

How much difference does a roof rack make to MPG? - bazza

I used to get 56 to 58 mpg on french trips without a roof rack and about 50 mpg with a roof box on. Skoda Octavia 1.9 tdi driven normally up to speed limits over 1500 mile trips

Thanks Bazza that is what i was looking for.

Seems that, given the speed i am driving at (50-60mph max with nothing on the rack), there would be negligible difference.

Today i discovered that there may be more water coming in than i thought, the carpeting behind the drivers seat sopping wet!. So, assuming my water tank hasn't started leaking, looks like i will need to get the roof rack off as a matter of urgency, if only to properly seal up the fittings!.

How much difference does a roof rack make to MPG? - Engineer Andy

I remember Mythbusters on Sky doing an experiment to see whether certain myths were real regarding drag and mpg.

roof racks were the same as having windows open, the mpg was not affected enough to cause concern. ie, their was no difference in fuel consumption with either, only that some makers of roof racks were noisy

Noise = drag = energy wasted = lower mpg.

How much difference does a roof rack make to MPG? - Mr Carrot Cake

Well having the windows open over 50mph is worse than having the air conditioning on.

How much difference does a roof rack make to MPG? - Bolt

Well having the windows open over 50mph is worse than having the air conditioning on.

No need to explain to me, Common sense tells you its wrong depending on speed, but I didn`t do the tests, just explained what they did.

last car I used a roof rack on was a Marina, because the rack was so noisy I bought hatchbacks or estates afterwards!

How much difference does a roof rack make to MPG? - bazza

BBD, I don't know what floorpan the Caddy is based on but VAG group are notorious for rain water leaks through the door cards. I've seen it on Polos, Fabias, Roomsters, Golfs, Octavias ( mine). So worth checking the base of the doors for wetness, the issue is with the seal/gasket. Worth checking before you go to town on the roof rack mountings.

How much difference does a roof rack make to MPG? - madf

BBD, I don't know what floorpan the Caddy is based on but VAG group are notorious for rain water leaks through the door cards. I've seen it on Polos, Fabias, Roomsters, Golfs, Octavias ( mine). So worth checking the base of the doors for wetness, the issue is with the seal/gasket. Worth checking before you go to town on the roof rack mountings.

That cannot be true. German cars are te eparagon of reliability and high quality. The Car Magazines tell me so...

From the B pillar forward the caddy is identical to the touran, so i'm guessing it would be, at least in part, the same as the golf.

I will check the doors, but as i have experienced some drops of water from somewhere around the sunvisor mount, i know that at least some water is getting in from the roof area. I can't see how those drops could be coming from anywhere other than the roof rack.