VAG 1.0 TSi - skidpan

Still on the search for the wifes next motor and last week when the Superb was being serviced we got a Fabia 1.0 tsI 95 PS hatch for the day. I had asked if they could if possibly make it the version we were considering i.e. an estate 110 PS with 15" wheels (not the 16" 45 profile ones) but 2 days later I suspected it would go all wrong when I got a call asking when I wanted the Karoq test drive I had requested. When I picked up the Fabia as expected the chap I spoke to had not told anyone what I had said and the car provided matched none of my requests i.e 95 PS not 110 PS, hatch not estate and it had Carlos Fandango tyres.

Went out onto the peak driving on dual carraigeways, A roads and hilly B roads and it was magic. Plenty of grunt from the engine even in 95 PS form (the 110 PS has 15 more PS but 30 more torques as well) and even on the 45 profile tyres the ride was excellent, better than the Note on 65 profile tyres, quite a shocker that one. We wanted the estate to try the MIL's wheel chair for size but it fitted with no issues in the hatch which has a very good square boot. Rear seat space is a bit less than the Note but better than some cars in the size class above and is ample for us. Having looked at some old brochures I found when moving house last year the Fabia Hatch is actually a tad bigger than a Mk2 Golf and just a tad smaller than a Mk3 Golf and we managed with those from 1986 to 2002.

Managed to get a drive in a 110 PS hatch on Friday and it was difficult to tell if it was any better since Friday PM in the city with speed cameras is not the best environment for a test drive. One thing that was definitely better was the 6 speed box in the 110 version. Filled the gaps better than the 5 speed which was not entirely happy at 30 mph in 4th, the 6 speed was. For the record the Wednesday car had 4500 miles on the clock and was nicely bedded in, the Friday car had 15 miles on the clock thus was probably a bit tight.

So we are pretty much decided its a 110 PS SE-L hatch with a few options. Still have to decide on the colour. Main problem is delivery, dealer quoting 12 to 16 weeks which is fine for us but with a revised model due later in the summer (only minor changes and a PPF) I do wonder if production will stop early like it did in 2016 with the Octavia.

As usual Carfile.net is offering great prices.

VAG 1.0 TSi - Manatee

dealer quoting 12 to 16 weeks which is fine for us but with a revised model due later in the summer (only minor changes and a PPF)

If it comes with a Pension Protection Fund I'd definitely get one of new model.

VAG 1.0 TSi - skidpan

dealer quoting 12 to 16 weeks which is fine for us but with a revised model due later in the summer (only minor changes and a PPF)

If it comes with a Pension Protection Fund I'd definitely get one of new model.

For those that don't know PPF is a Petrol Particulate Filter. Its unlikely to be problematic like a DPF is on short journeys but if its avoidable I will have one without.

VAG 1.0 TSi - Manatee

Thanks. Best I could think of was Paint Protection Film, but they would hardly do that as it would stop the dealers trying to rip us off for it.

VAG 1.0 TSi - oldroverboy.

There was me thinking it was a Dog P protection film, as our neighbours with their venga have a large female labrador who wasn't able to wait the other day....

Now trying to get the smell out as they didn't fit the waterproof seat covers i bought for them..

Edited by oldroverboy. on 18/02/2018 at 16:31

VAG 1.0 TSi - veloceman
Girlfriend has had Seat Arona for 1 month now.
115bhp.
Absolutely brilliant car with great engine.
Getting 52mpg still only done 750 miles.
Prefer it to my Leon. Rides better and elevated driving position makes for a relaxed drive.
VAG 1.0 TSi - daveyK_UK

Local taxi driver has a new Skoda Rapid with the 1.0 tsi and reckons its not as economical as the 1.2 tsi he previously had (also a Skoda Rapid) but that could be down to bedding in and current cold climate (he only got his new car at the start of the year).

He said it pulls just as well as the 1.2 tsi.

VAG 1.0 TSi - Smileyman

Local taxi driver has a new Skoda Rapid with the 1.0 tsi and reckons its not as economical as the 1.2 tsi he previously had (also a Skoda Rapid) but that could be down to bedding in and current cold climate (he only got his new car at the start of the year).

He said it pulls just as well as the 1.2 tsi.

That's interesting comments as on the Briskoda forum there are drivers who have owned cars with both the1.2 and 1.0 engines saying that the 1.0 engine is more economical, but as the 1.2 engine will pull fro a lower speed so they think it is a better car to drive.

I have the Seat Toledo variant of the same car (Rapid), never havig driven a 1.2 engined car I can't compare, however am happy with the way the 1.0 engine drives. Fuel economy is stuck at just a tad below 45 mpg, my daily commute does include twice daily a 20 mile rollercoaster drive on a fast dual carriageway, no doubt that does not help with economical driving.

VAG 1.0 TSi - skidpan

never havig driven a 1.2 engined car I can't compare, however am happy with the way the 1.0 engine drives.

We drove a 1.2 TSi 90 3 years ago in a Polo. We expected great things since we owned the 1.4 TSi in the Leon at the timebut it was dreadful. The salesman went away and checked to make sure it was a 90 PS variant (it was) but having tried it twice we walked away. To sum up it had no low down power in town and no overtaking power on A roads. We were stunned as to why it was getting great reviews.

3 years ago we bought the 98 PS Note DIG-S which felt much better than the Polo and as the miles piled on it the engine improved. Getting into the 95 PS Fabia made the Note feel slow and when we got back into the Note this feeling was confirmed. The only adverse comment I can make is a slight hesitation as you opened the throttle at very low revs but there is a solution, keep them above 1500. This hesitation was slightly noticable in the 110 PS version as well but probably less so.