Gunson - Colortune Blues (There aint no cure for the) - edlithgow

[url=servimg.com/view/18149521/339][img]i62.servimg.com/u/f62/18/14/95/21/th/img_7814.jpg[/img][/url]

Got a used kit the last time I was in the UK. I'd guess a lot of these are surplus due to the owners buying new un-maintainable cars.

As far as I can tell its complete apart from the bottle of cleaning fluid, but the connector to the ignition lead has a threaded end which doesn't, on its own, make a good connection.

IIRC motorcycle spark plugs often have a threaded end which takes a removable nipple (dunno why, perhaps there are more than size nipple?) so I went around some motorcycle places to try and get one, and as usual got the M word (meio = I don't have, OR I can't be bothered. Go away foreigner) everywhere I tried. I suspect the Colortune might have been confusing them.

The last place I tried harder and waved one of their spark plugs around a bit, and, using smartphone translation the guy seemed to be saying that the spark plug nipples were bigger (presumably meaning the threaded hole is bigger.)

IF this is true, it raises a couple of questions

1) Why TF would colortune supply the thing with a non-standard thread? Seems unlikely.

2) Could I get one of these allegedly big female nipples (Ooer Mrs) and fill it with solder, then drill it out and get the adaptor thread to self-tap into it?

3) Failing that, could I use a bit of, say copper brake tubing filled with solder as a link between the adaptor and a standard car male-thread nipple, shown in the picture above?

2 and 3 are both a bit of a hassle but if needs must...

I've got an old motorcycle plug with a threaded terminal somewhere. I'll take that, rather than the colortune with me if I have to do the rounds again, though that'll probably have to wait until after CNY.

Gunson - Colortune Blues (There aint no cure for the) - craig-pd130

Every NGK spark plug I've ever bought for my bike (of any size, heat range and electrode type) has come complete with the removable nipple, which threads onto the threaded end of the plug.

The nipples are universal, they are NOT a different size between "car" and "bike" plugs - because cars and bikes often use the same model of plug.

Just buy the cheapest, most bog-standard type of spark plug you can find and take the nipple off it.

Personally, I've never been that impressed with Colourtunes, as when I tried to use one (admittedly 30+ years ago) it didn't spark reliiably, which made it somewhat tricky to set the mixture ....

The nipples are universal, they are NOT a different size between "car" and "bike" plugs - because cars and bikes often use the same model of plug.

Just buy the cheapest, most bog-standard type of spark plug you can find and take the nipple off it.

Plug nipples are certainly NOT "universal". Hardly anything is "universal"

How many types of "Universal Serial Bus" cables are there?

"Universal" my a***.

I dunno if the size varies, but there are at least 2 basic types of nipple.

One type is shown in the linked photo above. (A picture isn't worth a thousand words if you don't look at the picture, so heres a thousand words).

This one was removed from a used plug by a mechanic in a local car garage and given to me. He used quite a lot of force so its possible this type isn't intended to be removed. It has a "male" threaded portion which screws into the top of the plug. This type does not fit the end of the Gunson adapter, which also has a male threaded portion.

The other type of nipple is often used on motorcycles here. This type has a "female" threaded hole in the base which accepts the "male" threaded rod that is in the top of the complementary type of spark plug. I THINK these spark plugs are often supplied without the nipple, but I've only bought one once, so this practice probably isn't "universal" either.

Apparently some plug leads, on older cars (and perhaps on contemporary Taiwanese motorcycles) are designed to engage on the threaded terminal of the plug, which is then used without a nipple.

forum.retro-rides.org/thread/177176/spark-plug-nee...d

This "female" type of nipple seems to be required to fit the "male" end of the Gunson adapter, but I don't know whether the size and thread pitch (which may not be "universal") are necessarily going to be compatible, and, as noted in the initial post, I've been told that they aren't.

Here's a description of just some of the many varieties of "universal" spark plug terminals.(bottom of the page)

www.sparkplugs.co.uk/technical-glossary/

Gunson - Colortune Blues (There aint no cure for the) - craig-pd130

Apparently some plug leads, on older cars (and perhaps on contemporary Taiwanese motorcycles) are designed to engage on the threaded terminal of the plug, which is then used without a nipple.

forum.retro-rides.org/thread/177176/spark-plug-nee...d

This "female" type of nipple seems to be required to fit the "male" end of the Gunson adapter, but I don't know whether the size and thread pitch (which may not be "universal") are necessarily going to be compatible, and, as noted in the initial post, I've been told that they aren't.

Here's a description of just some of the many varieties of "universal" spark plug terminals.(bottom of the page)

www.sparkplugs.co.uk/technical-glossary/

Both of the links show exactly what I described: a removable nipple which threads onto the male threaded terminal at the top of the plug, so I don't know why you're getting so het up.

I've been buying NGK spark plugs for my bikes for 35 years and they ALWAYS, ALWAYS come with a removable screw-on nipple. On the vast majority of bikes, you need to remove the nipple because the caps are designed to connect to the threaded portion.

As I said, buy a cheap NGK spark plug - the B7ES and B8ES types have been commonly used across dozens of Jap bikes since the early 70s and so I am willing to bet the nipple will fit the thread on the Colourtune's lead.

"Both of the links show exactly what I described: a removable nipple which threads onto the male threaded terminal at the top of the plug,"

I didn't say it doesn't exist. I said it isn't "universal". You did, and it isn't.

"I've been buying NGK spark plugs for my bikes for 35 years and they ALWAYS, ALWAYS come with a removable screw-on nipple. "

As described in the original post, they don't ALWAYS, ALWAYS come with one here, because I bought one a few years ago and it didn't have one, just the bare thread. The usual car plugs here don't have that type of nipple, as shown in the linked picture.

As I said in the original post, I'll probably be able to get one eventually after CNY (everything is currently closed), though I have been told (by Taiwanese mechanics, who do tend to be full of it) that it won't fit.

Failing that I'll have to make something, as outlined in the original post.

Edited by edlithgow on 17/02/2018 at 03:28

Gunson - Colortune Blues (There aint no cure for the) - Bolt

They did sell adapters for it www.gunson.co.uk/product/G4074 not sure if you can get them where you are, but you never know, sorry if its no help?

but as said before I have never been impressed with gunsons and used to tune by ear and worked better than colourtune imo

Edited by bolt on 15/02/2018 at 08:08

Gunson - Colortune Blues (There aint no cure for the) - bathtub tom

There are more than one size of spark plug nipple thread. I found this out when working on a '30s car that had thumbscrews holding the HT leads on the plugs.

There's also a plethora of plug diameters and lengths.

Back in the '60s and '70s when colourtune developed there were probably only a couple of common sizes.

Gunson - Colortune Blues (There aint no cure for the) - Galaxy

I used to have a Colourtune but I found it almost impossible to use because the colour distinctions were so poorly defined. I tried using it a few times but after that I gave up.

In the end I loaned it to a friend and never got it back. I wasn't bothered!

From what I can remember, and it was a very long time ago, I believe it fitted what I always called a standard spark plug thread and it did come supplied with an adaptor to use it with the larger spark plug threads that were used in the Ford Pinto engine (Cortina/Capri/Sierra)

I'm not aware that it could be used with the much smaller spark plug threads as used in the Ford Zetec engine but there may-well have been a suitable sized adaptor available.

Gunson - Colortune Blues (There aint no cure for the) - dadbif
I still have one in the garage, will have a look at it. I take it You are referring to the connector at the top of the lead that screws into the colourtune itself?
I still have one in the garage, will have a look at it. I take it You are referring to the connector at the top of the lead that screws into the colourtune itself?

Yes thanks, though I'd describe it more as a rod than a lead. Doesn't seem to be very flexible, though I havn't tried to bend it in case it...er...isn't

There's a picture linked in the first post. Its the thing directly opposite the (car) spark plug nipple, which obviously won't fit.

Gunson - Colortune Blues (There aint no cure for the) - dadbif
It’s a flexible rod as you describe, the end that attaches to the plug lead has a male thread on it with a shaped bit below that would snap into a plug lead.
The threaded bit accepts the screwed cap off an old plug from an MX5.
It’s a flexible rod as you describe, the end that attaches to the plug lead has a male thread on it with a shaped bit below that would snap into a plug lead. The threaded bit accepts the screwed cap off an old plug from an MX5.

Thanks. Could be I just didn't push it hard enough. Can't remember.

I'll try it again, but PM 2.5 Air Quality Index is over 150 right now and I don't have a very good mask, so I'll leave it until the air clears a bit.