2/3 yrs & 22k miles oil change vvti engine, how bad? - Ebob

Hi,

I am looking at buying a 2007 Toyota Corolla verso.

The service history is impeccable apart from one period where it went 2/3 years and 22k miles between an oil change. I don't know if it's more like 2 or 3 years as I don't have the exact dates yet but it went at least 2 full years that I know of without a service or at least a receipt of one.

How disastrous is this? I was under the impression that by 2007 the vvti oil consumption problem was fixed.

It's a reasonably low milage car and all other services are once a year about 6k miles.

Is this really that big a deal or could it lead to problems down the line?

Do you think it's a good buy?

Thanks

Edited by Ebob on 01/02/2018 at 19:28

2/3 yrs & 22k miles oil change vvti engine, how bad? - Ian D
I would not worry about one missed oil change, if the car is otherwise fine I would not worry, 22k oil changed throughout its life is not great but once won't be a problem
2/3 yrs & 22k miles oil change vvti engine, how bad? - Mr Carrot Cake

It should be ok.

2/3 yrs & 22k miles oil change vvti engine, how bad? - SLO76
Might just be a case of the garage not stamping the book. I leave my service book lying on the passenger seat when it’s in for a service because whenever I leave it in the glovebox they rarely stamp the thing. Not the end of the world even if a service has been skipped on one of these as long as it’s generally been well maintained otherwise. On a car this age it’s rare to get a perfectly complete service history anyway and sadly many owners of these in particular treat them as white goods, repairing only when required and scrimping on services.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/02/2018 at 05:12

2/3 yrs & 22k miles oil change vvti engine, how bad? - madf

Easy way to test. IF there is anything wrong, teh timing chain/valve gear shoudl rattle at start up from cold..

So visit when engine has not been run for hours- hand on top of engine should meet cold surface.

Leave bonnet open, wind down drivers window. Preferably leave car door open. Start engine - and watch oil light to go out within 1 second and no rattle..(Or get someone to start engine and listen under bonnet.

Toyota engines are tough and can stand a bit of abuse - better than most. I speak from experience of a VVTI 1.0 Yaris which had not oil changes for a LONG time...

2/3 yrs & 22k miles oil change vvti engine, how bad? - corax
Toyota engines are tough and can stand a bit of abuse - better than most. I speak from experience of a VVTI 1.0 Yaris which had not oil changes for a LONG time...

Agreed. 22k miles is not ideal (and as SLO says, it might have been a missed stamp) but as long as the engine is quiet when cold, it should be fine. I wouldn't let it put you off if there is nothing else wrong with the car.

2/3 yrs & 22k miles oil change vvti engine, how bad? - nellyjak

Wouldn't overly bother me on a car with 22k and built in 2007. (not ideal of course)

The VVTi oil burning issues were always a bit "overstated" and largely down to a poor maintenance regime ... more so on earlier engines.

Thanks for the input.

It has averaged around 6k miles a year and is the sort of car to have done lots of short trips on the school run etc. Which leads me to think 3 years (potentially) without an oil change doing short trips it probably has a similar amount of wear as a much higher mileage well serviced car, which would be much cheaper of course.

I doubt there's anything wrong with it at all I'm just not sure if it's really worth it, or if it's what I'm looking for.

Otherwise really liked the look of it though.

Edited by Ebob on 02/02/2018 at 12:20

2/3 yrs & 22k miles oil change vvti engine, how bad? - Andrew-T

Like the others here, I reckon the most likely explanation is omission to stamp the record. You could find out whether the empty period corresponds with one previous ownership. The servicing record is always a useful indicator, but as you say, missing stamps are one thing but present stamps are sometimes artificial also. Make a personal assessment of the car while trying to ignore the service record.

As has been said, servicing garages often only stamp the book - especially for older cars - if explicitly asked to.

It was serviced twice within a very short intervals before the gapg which leads me to think it was serviced at the point of sale. So either the new owner didn't bother with receipts or stamps or didn't get it serviced.

Artificial stamps - there's another thing for me to stress over!

Having bought a bunk car in the past really don't wanna get burned.

Edited by Ebob on 02/02/2018 at 13:20

2/3 yrs & 22k miles oil change vvti engine, how bad? - CK91437

Leave it, just find another one.

Unless the price is very compelling, and you have a limited budget.

2/3 yrs & 22k miles oil change vvti engine, how bad? - pd

Judge the car - not the paperwork.

Does it drive nicely? Is it clean and have the appearance of a well looked after car which hasn't been abused? Does the current oil look hideously dirty or clean? Does it have four mismatched bald ditch finders on it or 4 3/4 worn Michelins?