Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - Theklf99

We bought a Vauxhall Zafira A four years ago, when we got it the engine on it was just under 100,000 miles. Since then we've had a number of things fixed on it - we've had new exhaust, clutch, radiator, timing belt, water pump, spring, brake pads, brake discs, shock absorbers, etc.

We have it serviced usually once a year and every year it just flies through it's MOT. The only thing that ever seems to come up on the MOT is when the tyres need changing. We also usually try and get the advisories sorted out every year too.

We have two garages in our local area that look after the car - Overton Service Station in Ludlow and Gatechange Garage in Tenbury, both seem very confident when it comes to cars and always seem to do a great job.

The vehicle now has done over 163,000 miles, it's a 55 plate vehicle (it was actually one of the last Zafira A's before they switched to the B's and judging by the fire problems I'm glad it's an A!)

Anyway my dad has been driving for years, and every time I phone him up now he always asks repeatedly about the car. It's really starting to get on my nerves. He keeps demanding that I replace the car because it's done a lot of miles and it's going to pack up because he thinks that 163,000 miles is a lot for a car, although when we first got the car he did ask us why on earth we bought one with nearly 100,000 miles on the clock anyway as apparently 100,000 miles to him was the end of life for a petrol engine - although I notice some of the courtesy cars Overton sometimes lend us have done over 250,000 miles and they are also petrol.

So I'm not too sure what to think, it's annoying me that he keeps mithering me about buying a new car when actually this car still seems to be running fine (he also keeps telling me to go to somewhere like Arnold Clark and spend about £6,000 on a decent car rather than some dodgy trader - I can't quite see the irony of this that he actually bought his last car from Arnold Clark and within 2 months it was smoking - ok they did fix it but it still broke! Where as we've had 4 years out of this car from what he deems is a "dodgy trader" and spent only £1,200 on it! And tbh I see it more risky to buy a car from a dealer that has mechanics that only work for the dealer, than to buy it from a garage that has a mechanic there that owns the place, and his dad also owned the place too and so passed his skills on and ultimately his name is on the line more than a faceless corporation), it's not really using oil differently, it always seems to use a lot of oil in the winter and then not so much in the summer (usually I have to top it up twice in the winter, but nothing in the summer - it's been like that since we got it so I guess that's just normal).

When it goes for MOT it always comes back fine, it's emmissions report is usually quite low, actually it's even lower than the Vauxhall stats for that car!

The only one slight issue we do have is that if I initially leave the car on with the radio running for about 10-15 minutes and then turn the vehicle on I find that the power steering doesn't work for about 10 minutes. It's not really a big problem - someone told me that as it's electric power steering it's possibly the battery, but we've had the battery checked so many times and each time it comes back fine, the battery is still the original battery though, but it does also have a green light on the battery that also shows up fine too.

So is 163,000 miles quite high for a petrol or is my dad worrying me prematurely also I'm going to The Netherlands this year, is it quite risky to take such a high mileage car to The Netherlands, am I better hiring a car for that trip or getting decent breakdown cover.

Edited by Theklf99 on 24/01/2018 at 09:56

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - badbusdriver

I'm no mechanic, but i am fairly certain a zafira (or any other car) of that age, will not have electric power steering, it would be hydraulic. Electric power steering is something that is pretty universal now, but not 13 years ago.

Regarding the mileage, your Dad's attitude is quite common for a lot of people, they just seem to think that when a car gets to a certain age or mileage, it is just going to fall apart like a clowns car!. You don't say what engine you have, but the age of your car means that, in comparison to it's new equivalent, it is relatively simple mechanically. This is important as less complexity means less potential to go wrong.

My Mother in law has a 2006 kia rio (1.4 petrol) and it hasn't done much miles at all, but because of it's age, she is convinced that she is going to have to replace it soon. Despite my telling her that it will outlast her!.

Your radio/power steering issue is puzzing, i'd be trying to get to the bottom of that if i were you. But the Netherlands is not that far away, so i wouldn't be in any way concerned about using the zafira just because of the miles. Possibly some temporary European breakdown cover, for peace of mind?.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - elekie&a/c doctor

The Zafira A is based on an Astra G model,and these are very durable with very little trouble.Certainly better made than the later "B" model.They all have electric/hydraulic power steering systems that are battery voltage sensitive.So if the battery and/or charging systems are not up to spec,the pas will not work properly. No reason why the car should not do another 100k ,only issue is the engines tend to burn oil at higher mileage.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - Theklf99

Thanks for the reply - it's funny you mention that you think the power steering could by hydraulic, as we are under the same impression too because it does have a power steering fluid bottle there which would tend to hint to me that it is hydraulic based, but so many garages have told us no it's electronic but it still uses the fluid for something.

We have also contemplated whether or not it might be worth replacing the fluid, most garages have told us that the fluid shouldn't need replacing as it never goes off - all this does seem actually quite wrong advice as I would assume that fluid that's been swirling round a power steering system since 2005 has most probably changed state by now with the various heat changes it's repeatedly exposed to. The only other thing I have noticed though is sometimes I do get a slight squeek out of the steering wheel when turning it, it sounds like when you sit on a new leather sofa - but I'm assuming that's probably nothing more than some part of the steering wheel slightly rubbing on something.

From what I can gather the engine in this car is a ZE16XER.

It's funny that some people mentioned in the replies that it's better the devil you know, I think at times that is actually quite correct about cars. Even though one part is about to go and it may cost you more than you could trade the car in for another car - at times is it actually cheaper? because you know the full history of your car and which parts have been changed on it and everything, but another car might have all the same parts you've just replaced that need replacing yet again where as your current car might have one part that whilst the trade in value is cheaper than replacing it, in the long term the extra parts aren't.

Also thanks for the advice about the temporary EU breakdown cover - yeah I'm certainly going to get that, considering how much it costs to retrieve a car and how quickly costs can escalate in the event of a breakdown you'd either have to be crazy or have very deep pockets to not take out breakdown cover - and even if you ditched the broken down car if it was uneconomical to repair or move you'd still get fined for abandoning it!

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - John F

So is 163,000 miles quite high for a petrol or is my dad worrying me prematurely also I'm going to The Netherlands this year, is it quite risky to take such a high mileage car to The Netherlands, am I better hiring a car for that trip or getting decent breakdown cover.

I wouldn't worry. It looks as though you've replaced most of the bits likely to cause trouble. 20yrs ago we were driving to southern France in our petrol Passat with well over 200,000m on the clock. The Netherlands is not very far away, and there are very few hills to strain the engine! Just keep an eye on the oil, coolant and tyre pressures. Ignore your pa and keep the car! If you are also doing rust prevention it should last much longer than the average scrap age - about 14 yrs old.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - RobJP

A well-maintained car can go on virtually forever. You've done most of the routine maintenance - stuff which you'd have to do on most cars (brakes, cambelt, etc), so just keep on as you are until something major fails on it.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - blindspot

your car will last as long as you want it to

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - blindspot

your car will last as long as you want it to

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - edlithgow

As above. It'll probably last until you stop maintaining it, so its usually up to you.

This usually means it last until it needs a repair that "exceeds the value of the vehicle" (AKA an "uneconomic repair") but this commonly accepted cutoff is an arbitary one with no real meaning, and undervalues the very important "devil you know" factor, especially when the devil you know is a relatively simple vehicle which is likely to be more maintainable than a newer replacement.

The value of the vehicle is determined by the market, which is made up of lots of people who agree with your father. i.e. they are, on average, wrong.

"Ultimate" no-choice game over is likely to be defined by not being able to get an essential spare part in an acceptable time frame. If you're prepared to wait and search around, this point can sometimes be postponed, and varies a lot, so its hard to predict.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - V4 Heaven
My 1997, 1.8 petrol Toyota Carina E has just turned 240,000 and uses about 100ml of oil per 1,000 miles. I've had it since 46,000 miles and it still gives low to mid 40s mpg on my commute.

I've heard the 'uneconomical repair' comment too for mine but most of what needs replacing would need replacing for newer cars anyway and you wouldn't recover the cost of these parts in a sale either (eg tyres and exhausts).

Its last service was a bit pricey (front pads, cambelt, rear brake lines, minor service and MOT) but it does a 50 mile commute every day with ease, and regular annual preventative maintenance means that nothing needs doing in between services.

I've passed two decision points on whether to offload it already (200k and 238k) so now I've chosen 300k as the next decision point!

Excellent! Hats off to V4 Heaven. Do let us know how long it lasts. But using only 1litre oil per 10,000m after nearly quarter of a million miles? This I find hard to believe.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - daveyjp
Colleague’s daughter in Oz recently swapped her Subaru with 500,000km on the clock for one with just 200,000!
Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - V4 Heaven
Yep, 1 litre per 1,000 miles JohnF. You're more than welcome to check! Having owned it for 16 years, I'm quite anal about checking it.

I put its low oil consumption down to regular (10,000 mile) oil changes and even more regular Italian clearouts (just below the redline) as and when desired.

Edited by V4 Heaven on 26/01/2018 at 13:50

You've definitely got a good 'un (I presume you meant 10,000m). Can't see that modern petrol engines have made much progress in the longevity stakes - and I think yours is non-interference, so no cambelt worries.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - Big John

Can't see that modern petrol engines have made much progress in the longevity stakes

Yes and no.

Many modern petrols now have direct injection so eventually can have valve carbon issues -no petrol passing past the vlalve stems. (Some manufacturers have introduced engines with a combination direct and port injection to reduce particulate emmision which also solves this issue)

Many modern petrol engines now come with a turbo which could affect longevity

However many petrol cars have pretty tall gearing so engines are spinning at very low revs on a motorway (My Superb petrol does about 2000rpm @ 60mph)

My 1.4tsi has not consumed any oil between it's 10k services but it's only done 55k miles thus far

An old fashined simple Vauxhall 8v should last well with regular servicing. Sometime there have been reports of oil burning from such engines but this can be a crankcase breathing issue of some sort which blows oil past valve oil seals

Beware the new MOT from May that will now fail cars with engine/gearbox oil leaks or having an Engine Management Light showing

Edited by Big John on 28/01/2018 at 19:18

My 1.4tsi has not consumed any oil between it's 10k services but it's only done 55k miles thus far

That might be because after a garage oil change the level is at or just above the max mark and it gets changed when just above minimum.

My service records show our Focus 1.6 Zetec also required no top-up between its 10K oil changes at this mileage, but it actually probably used about 500mls. But at 138,000m It now requires four 500ml top-ups between changes, which is well within acceptable usage. I suspect those who claim their engines at similar milages 'use no oil' are either deluding themselves or, if diesel, the oil is being diluted and expanded by unburnt fuel bypassing the rings.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - Big John

That might be because after a garage oil change the level is at or just above the max mark and it gets changed when just above minimum.

. I suspect those who claim their engines at similar milages 'use no oil' are either deluding themselves

I'm sure every engine uses some oil but I do check my tsi especially if setting off on a long journey. The level remains at the top (or very near) of the dipstick - the main thing that changes is the colour of it. Hard to even see after an oil change then seems to turn darker as the miles approach 10k

My previous 2003 Superb I (1.9 pd no DPF) had a strange oil use pattern . Used oil quickly until the dipstick level was about half - then it seemed to use no more. Did this from when I bought it at 1 year old. A friend bought this from me in 2015 and it now uses a little more (not too much) but it has now got over 200k miles on it now. It's still on it's original batter, exhaust and clutch as well - rust is starting to be an issue with it though.

Edited by Big John on 29/01/2018 at 21:09

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - Avant

If your dad is so desperate for you to get a new car, ask him to finance it for you. That should keep him quiet.

Your Zafira is worth more to you than it is in the market, so keep it going unless and until it needs some really expensive repair. You seem to be looking after it well so this increasaes yoyur chances of getting plenty more miles out of it.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - SteveLee

Not sure which sort of steering it has - the MGFhad electric power steering back in 1995...

I've always been of the opinion that (unusual manufacturing/design fault aside) any modern engine will out-last the car if you change the oil between services.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - Ian_SW

The original Zafiras seem to be one of those cars which go on and on. Given that the newest one is now 12 years old, I still see a surprising number of them on the roads.

The OP's car may last another 5 years, or it may fail tomorrow, though by taking the precaution of maintaining it properly it much reduces the risk of this.

If you're planning to replace with secondhand when the time does come to replace, there is very little point in buying the replacement car just in case the old one fails expensively, despite a lot of people do this. You'll get next to nothing for it in trade-in, and any newer car will immediately be depreciating so it will cost more to buy a newer car to "save money" on expensive repairs makes no financial sense. You don't have to do an expensive repair, scrapping the car instead and buying another one is always an option. The only time this doesn't work is if you follow my father's car buying model of buying a brand new car every fifteen years, as there is always a wait between ordering and actually getting the new car.

Despite me encouraging her otherwise, my wife convinced herself that her 03 reg 120k mile Octavia was about to expire about two years ago and bought a replacement newer car. We were both expecting the dealer to scrap it as they only offered £250 in part-ex, and it was quite tatty and rusty. However looking at the MOT checker website, it's still on the road and has done nearly another 50k miles since then. Those would have effectively been "free" miles as far as depreciation was concerned if she had kept the car.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - kiss (keep it simple)

A well maintained petrol engine can go over 200k with ease. You've spent quite a bit on all the obvious stuff so the alternator might be the big one that forces you to scrap it.

Edited by kiss (keep it simple) on 30/01/2018 at 08:26

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - expat

I have had my current car for 13 years and it is still going strong. The previous one I had for 25 years and only sold it because I wanted an automatic with air conditioning and power steering. Hang on to the car and keep maintaining it well. It is fully depreciated and you will never get cheaper motoring.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - Johmon

Like the person above said, Zafira a is based on Astra g and they were bulletproof. 1 astra g reached 270k miles and it still runs you can see it on youtube. I have a zafira a 1.8 and it just reached 60500 miles and the engine feels pretty solid to me, i harsh accelerate very often and its never let me down, I would suggest you use synthetic oil which is what I use now as it gives better heat protection. There is plenty of Zafiras that have reached over 200k miles, there is a reason zafira is the best selling mpv in Europe because of its practicality, reliability and it was the first sports MPV, the GSI which was also the fastest mpv which could do 0-60 in 7.4 seconds, Zafira VXR is slightly quicker. There is even a Zafira A with 611bhp which is the fastest zafira. Problem is you never know what the previous owner has done to the car, when my dad bought the car in 2011 the clutch on the automatic tranmission was damaged and it had to be rebuilt but since then it has done 32k miles without any issues. Most people sell the zafiras around 100k miles because the car is worth a small amount since the engine still has life but the zafiras that reach 200k miles or over are scrapped. I am quite impressed with Zafiras and they do have the life to reach 200k miles if its looked after but also remember zafira a is quite old, some parts may break and age.

Edited by Johmon on 21/10/2018 at 14:04

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - PeterRed

My Zafira A DTI was 2004 vintage. Although the body and engine were sound after 140k miles, front tyres were wearing very quickly. It appears that the front subframe was dangerously corroded. This was a known issue and was causing problems with front wheel alignment. Might be worth a check.........

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - TheGentlemanThug

Buying a "new" car for £6,000 to match your Zafira just sounds like a headache. Sure you could get something, but it almost certainly wouldn't be fault-free. Power steering issue aside, it sounds like you've a good thing going with the Zafira.

As for durability, the suspension will likely let go before the engine will.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - Happy Blue!

Friends of ours bought their 2001 Zafira 1.8 from new. It is still the family car (although both kids now drive!). It probably does not more than 6,000 miles a year these days but soldiers on. Cheaper than buying a new car.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - barney100

Look up Irv Gordon, 160 odd thousand? try 3 million.

Then look up Trigger's broom.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - piggy

Insurance companies are often the nemesis of the older car. Take mine as an example.Now on 118000 and running like new. Yet as a 10 year old Mazda 6 it's probable value is about £2500. Any minor bump will see it written off as an uneconomic repair by the insurance people. I'm sure a lot of cars are written off for similar reasons.

Insurance companies are often the nemesis of the older car. Take mine as an example.Now on 118000 and running like new. Yet as a 10 year old Mazda 6 it's probable value is about £2500. Any minor bump will see it written off as an uneconomic repair by the insurance people. I'm sure a lot of cars are written off for similar reasons.

True, but many, especially poorer city dwellers, are content to tolerate mere cosmetic damage. Probably the main culprit is the UK's scandalously over-cautious MoT which, if modified to a more sensible safety inspection (e.g. biennial TuV in Germany) as found in other countries, would probably cause many garages to go out of business and increase the average car age by a year or more. We Brits just don't complain enough -the AA and RAC should be agitating on our behalf, but they are useless.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - madf

Over cautious MOT?

17% 0f MOT fails? Headlamps

14% tyres

12% windscreen wipers..

www.protyre.co.uk/mot/the-most-common-reasons-for-...s

All potentially fatal.

Over cautious?

(Basically test failures above = poor maintenance)

Edited by madf on 24/10/2018 at 14:14

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - barney100

No comparison, Gordon's Volvo PI800 is remarkable, anyone interested in high mileage cars and how this bloke has looked after it, have a look. The car passed it's 3 million mile mark in Alaska recently. Bought in 1966 it's had 2 engine rebuilds and been rigorously maintained with Volvo parts and fastidious fluid changes which Gordon says is the reason behind it's long life.

Vauxhall Zafira A - How long can an average petrol car run for? - corax

Then look up Trigger's broom.

One site I looked up stated that it was in 'no way a triggers broom', but then then one of Irv Gordons tips for running a high mileage car was to "develop a good relationship with your local mechanic". And "when your car makes a funny noise , listen to it".