Ford Focus 2003 - Heater Matrix? - Stevon

Hi

I've got an old Focus 03 Reg.

So today I got in the car to be greeted with a damp smell, a puddle on the floor of the passenger side footwell and a gurgling noise coming from the passenger side when I put the heater on.

Also terrible steaming up issues.

Did a quick google and all discussion seem to point to a leaking heater matrix? (if that's the right way to say it?). Now it has been raining hard now for what feels like forever so I suppose there could be another explanation but I guess that's just clutching at straws.

So basically how serious of a problem is this? Is this an expensive job? Anybody have the same issue and can offer an estimate cost of what's it's going to fix?

Also as I won't be able to get any work done for about a month at the earliest is it going to be a massive problem if I continue to drive in in the meantime? (Assuming I keep the coolant topped up and manage to actually see that is?)

Thanks, any advice firstly on whether this sounds like the real problem and also the other questions.

Thanks very much

Ste.

Ford Focus 2003 - Heater Matrix? - elekie&a/c doctor

Firstly,you need to establish if this is clear rain water or coolant. If it is the first,then it is very likely to be enetering the car from the pollen filter area ,below the windscreen on the passenger side .It is possible the plastic panel has not been fitted corrctly or sealed to the screen. If it is coloured coolant,then could be the matrix leaking. Not a diddicult job to replace.It is located at the bottom of the heater,just in front of the centre console area. Perhaps use a leak stopper in the meantime.

Ford Focus 2003 - Heater Matrix? - gordonbennet

I haven't done one of these on a Focus but elekie doc's post sounds quite positive and a decent DIY project, had it been a VW group car quite honestly you might as well weight it in, the job is simply horrendous on those the entire car seemingly built around the heater radiator.

If you put your fingers in the wet and hold them to your nose you'll soon tell if its coolant, apart from the smell it won't dry for ages, it could be a leaking pipe, suggest you fetch the bottom of the fascia off and get poke nosing.

Ford Focus 2003 - Heater Matrix? - Andrew-T

Firstly,you need to establish if this is clear rain water or coolant.

You mention 'topping up coolant'. If you are already doing that, it sounds like the heater matrix. If it's only rainwater I don't see why your car should be losing coolant - unless it is both of course, which seems unlikely? Also if the matrix has started to leak it's unlikely that your coolant will look 'clean' - does it look rusty or heavily discoloured?