Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - Jonathan Boyle

Hi, thanks for reading.

I own a 2013 Mazada CX-5 with 150k on the clock. Just took it in today for a service and MOT and I expected it to sail thru. Unfortuantely they said it failed on the emissions and then they realised that it was head gasket failure. I was quoted £900 to get this done. I dont see the point in spending that amount of money for a high mileage car.

Anyway the question is how to get rid. I have been quoted 5.5k on we buy any car (without notifying them of the head gasket failure) and the Mazda dealership where its at, at the moment, I am going to get a quote from them, they are trying to sell me another car (as you would expect).

So how do I get rid of a car with a head gasket failure for the best price.. The MOT runs out in a few days, so in theory I can still collect it from the dealership and do short journeys. I would prefer to have cash in my hand and then I am free to go wherever I want to buy a new one.

Thanks

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - Metropolis.
That’s a very good quote from a main dealer!
Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - elekie&a/c doctor

Interesting.How did the mot station conclude it has head gasket failure from an emission test?Any evidence of overheating,water loss or water in oil,oil in water?

I did notice vapour coming out the exhaust the other day, so I dont think they are pulling my leg.

I wonder if its worth getting it done, then part exing in a few months, given that its value on we buy any car is 5.5.k, If the dealer offers me a crap price, say 1.5 to 2k it would be worth getting it done. Plus I just replaced the rear tyres before the service, that was 225 quid!

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - elekie&a/c doctor

I would get a second opinion from a garage that is able to carry out competent testing for h/g failure.. All cars emit vapour from the exhaust,especially from cold.

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - Ian D
As Mr Elekie says pull the dipstick, is it just oil (good) or emulsified (bad)?. Is the coolant the usual colour or is there mayonnaise deposits in it (bad).
Book it into another while you wait MOT, take it for a good 20 mile run on the way there and see what happens, worth it for the £50 MOT fee.
A few MOT stations are 'not as honest as you would like' and try to fabricate work, sometimes major so go for another MOT at another test centre after a good run and go from there...

Edited by Ian D on 19/01/2018 at 20:59

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - focussed

Some local councils used to have their own MOT testing stations that just did testing, and didn't do retail repairs, so more chance of getting an unbiased test, worth checking to find out if there is one near you.

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - Andrew-T

I wonder if its worth getting it done, then part exing in a few months, given that its value on we buy any car is 5.5.k, If the dealer offers me a crap price, say 1.5 to 2k it would be worth getting it done. Plus I just replaced the rear tyres before the service, that was 225 quid!

Seems a no-brainer, if you are happy with the car otherwise. If it might cost you £900 to restore the car's value to £5.5K, it's just an unpredicted bit of car maintenance. If you decide to get rid, it sounds like you are just punishing the car for letting you down - while hitting yourself in the wallet.

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - John F

This stinks of an attempted scam. Was it at a well known branch of, er, rapid installers offering a cheapo MoT? Before you spend any more money (200+ for just two tyres? Jeez!) get it retested by someone reputable as suggested above. Unless a head gasket failure is so bad it's causing a misfire I can't see why it should fail on emissions.

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - argybargy

My own feeling, should the diagnosis of head gasket failure prove to be genuine, is that you should get it repaired even if you're not keeping the vehicle.

It gives you greater negotiating clout when selling/ part exing it on.

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - Bromptonaut

Until this happened were you satisfied with the car and does it do everything you want?

If so I'd be inclined, subject to confirmation that it's the CHG, to get it repaired and keep the beast. The risk of course is that they get the head off and discover it's something more serious like a hairline crack in the head. Had similar with a Peugeot 104 back in the eighties. On removing the head it was discovered to have a displaced cylinder liner - the blocks in these cars were fabricated from parts rather than bein cast in one piece. Cost me best part of a month's wages to get it fettled.

I suspect that the smell of the exhaust will be a significant clue to a failed CHG as both oil and vapourised coolant leave olfactory clues. Certainly did with the 104 who's CHG went again during my ownership.

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - FP

"200+ for just two tyres? Jeez!"

Yes, that's about right. I had two Toyo Proxes (original equipment) fitted to my CX-5 last summer for £129 each. There are cheaper, but not recommended tyres, and Michelins are considerably more expensive, but offer only a small improvement in wear.

I'm sure manufacturers take advantage of the relatively unusual (and larger) sizes to hike the price. The spec is 225/55R19/99V, if you're interested.

Edited by FP on 20/01/2018 at 10:26

Yes, that's about right. I had two Toyo Proxes (original equipment) fitted to my CX-5 last summer for £129 each......

Wow. A few weeks ago SWMBO insisted on winter tyres for the Focus (thus trebling its value!) - just over 200. Significant difference in grip - and so much quieter! Might keep them on all year!

Yes, that's about right. I had two Toyo Proxes (original equipment) fitted to my CX-5 last summer for £129 each. There are cheaper, but not recommended tyres, and Michelins are considerably more expensive, but offer only a small improvement in wear.

I'm sure manufacturers take advantage of the relatively unusual (and larger) sizes to hike the price. The spec is 225/55R19/99V, if you're interested.

Yes I had two TOYOs fitted @107 each from Black Circles .com - all four tyres are TOYOs

This stinks of an attempted scam. Was it at a well known branch of, er, rapid installers offering a cheapo MoT? Before you spend any more money (200+ for just two tyres? Jeez!) get it retested by someone reputable as suggested above. Unless a head gasket failure is so bad it's causing a misfire I can't see why it should fail on emissions.

It is SG Petch and official Mazda dealer

It is SG Petch and official Mazda dealer

From the website of that dealer - a customer review of their ability.

Love the car but am very disappointed with what happened when I got home! I drove 280 miles home which was fine, then within 5 mins of engine being switched off I went out to find the car wouldn't start! I tried phoning Michael but he didn't answer so I called the AA. When he lifted the bonnet he said the lead wasn't connected to battery. So I drove 4 1/2 hours with no lead to the battery. So whoever done the checks obviously didn't check the battery leads were on properly. All I got was an apology on the phone. Not good enough I will be taking this further!

Unless a head gasket failure is so bad it's causing a misfire I can't see why it should fail on emissions.

Surely if oil (or even coolant + anti-freeze) were getting into combustion chamber they'd mess up either smoke or gas analysis?

Seems a no-brainer, if you are happy with the car otherwise. If it might cost you £900 to restore the car's value to £5.5K, it's just an unpredicted bit of car maintenance. If you decide to get rid, it sounds like you are just punishing the car for letting you down - while hitting yourself in the wallet.

Yes it does seem a no brainer - my concern is that me shelling out all this money for it to go wrong again - I suppose I need to know what sort of guarantee I get, if any, with the head gasket repair. I know I am snookered an almost in a no win situation. I still owe £1500 on the car.

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - Andrew-T

<< Yes it does seem a no brainer - my concern is that me shelling out all this money for it to go wrong again - I suppose I need to know what sort of guarantee I get, if any, with the head gasket repair. I know I am snookered an almost in a no win situation. I still owe £1500 on the car. >>

But the car itself is still potentially worth £5.5K ? So if you are otherwise happy with it, get it fixed - preferably not bodged. IF the gasket needs repair (we don't seem sure yet) it is normally a simple but time-consuming job. Is there any reason to believe that the car will immediately start to disintegrate in other ways?

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - craig-pd130

As per the comments above, the diagnosis of head gasket failure is suspicious. There are simple checks for gasket failure you can do yourself, before going to another garage. Some have been mentioned but I'll include them all here:

- do you regularly have to top up the coolant? Is the coolant header tank empty? If so, it is losing coolant somewhere - either from a leak or gasket failure. If not, it's a good sign.

- does the coolant header tank ever overflow? If so, gasket failure could be pressurising the cooling system. Bad sign.

- does the coolant in the header tank have dirty, oily blobs in it, and have these left a 'high tide' line inside the plastic header tank? If yes, possible gasket failure. If not, it's a good sign.

- remove the oil filler cap. Does it have a yellow/brown creamy/foamy gunk on it? If so, wipe it all off, then go for a 25-mile drive at speed (ideally on a fast road so you can get the engine properly hot). After that drive, remove the cap again. Any gunk? If yes, possible gasket failure. If not, the gunk was most likely condensation build-up.

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - argybargy

There might be overheating too.

My son had two occasions of head gasket failures on different cars, both on vehicles well known for the problem.

His M reg Fiat Punto went big time without any obvious prior warning, and being worth only a few hundred quid in top order it wasn't economically repairable. So we scrapped it. The head gasket on his 54 plate Rover 25 went gradually over a period of weeks, exhibiting all the classic symptoms mentioned above, culminating with overheating which eventually caused it to give up the ghost on the M53.

We had it fixed so that he could get to work, but given that a second failure at some point was almost inevitable, we sold it soon afterwards.

Edited by argybargy on 20/01/2018 at 11:22

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - KB.

It's not of any help but it might raise a mild titter.

I worked with a fella who owned a Datsun 120Y and told us (after the event) that a warning light had come on and he wasn't sure what to do. It turns out it was the 'charging' light - so presumably a slipping belt or dodgy dynamo - (or perhaps alternator ... this was a 1970's vehicle) ... in fact the warning light had the letters CHG inscribed on it.

How many of you have guessed the rest?

Yup, he, somewhat mistakenly, assumed the CHG to mean Cylinder Head Gasket - and went on to change it.

Didn't fix the problem.

Did he get some stick from his workmates?

I'll bet he reads the owner's handbook on cars he buys now!

His M reg Fiat Punto went big time without any obvious prior warning, and being worth only a few hundred quid in top order it wasn't economically repairable. So we scrapped it. The head gasket on his 54 plate Rover 25 went gradually over a period of weeks, exhibiting all the classic symptoms mentioned above, culminating with overheating which eventually caused it to give up the ghost on the M53.

We had it fixed so that he could get to work, but given that a second failure at some point was almost inevitable, we sold it soon afterwards.

Quite common on 1st generation Puntos, especially the 1.1 FIRE motor, we had an N-reg one that lunched its CHG after about 50K miles. Luckily we managed to PX it for a newer Punto at the local Fiat dealer without it overheating catastrophically.

And those Rover 25s had the dodgy manifold O-rings which would fail, leading to loss of coolant then warped heads etc ....

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - SteveLee

Quite common on 1st generation Puntos, especially the 1.1 FIRE motor, we had an N-reg one that lunched its CHG after about 50K miles. Luckily we managed to PX it for a newer Punto at the local Fiat dealer without it overheating catastrophically.

Common wth Uno Turbos too - as the head was supposed to be retorqued at the first service but very few dealers bothered (the workshop time to do it pretty much wiped out your profit on the car in the first place) where as the warranty job to put it right after it's gone pop was funded.

As per the comments above, the diagnosis of head gasket failure is suspicious. There are simple checks for gasket failure you can do yourself, before going to another garage. Some have been mentioned but I'll include them all here:

- do you regularly have to top up the coolant? Is the coolant header tank empty? If so, it is losing coolant somewhere - either from a leak or gasket failure. If not, it's a good sign.

- does the coolant header tank ever overflow? If so, gasket failure could be pressurising the cooling system. Bad sign.

- does the coolant in the header tank have dirty, oily blobs in it, and have these left a 'high tide' line inside the plastic header tank? If yes, possible gasket failure. If not, it's a good sign.

- remove the oil filler cap. Does it have a yellow/brown creamy/foamy gunk on it? If so, wipe it all off, then go for a 25-mile drive at speed (ideally on a fast road so you can get the engine properly hot). After that drive, remove the cap again. Any gunk? If yes, possible gasket failure. If not, the gunk was most likely condensation build-up.

No I wasnt aware of the gasket failure until I took it in for the service and MOT. No warning lights were on the dash, however I did notice smoke coming out of the exhaust the other day when the engine was off after a short journey. I travel to work on regular basis 6 miles there and 6 miles back, not sure if this is good for a diesel engine and maybe I should get a petrol car next time.

I was told when the garage rang that the coolant was near empty, I suspect that I may have been lucky getting it to the garage before it overheated.

The other issue is why the CHG failed. One thing if it's just delaminated over time. Another altogether if there's blocked oil or coolant channels or some other defect in the head or block causing localised overheating.

The Pug 104 I mentioned above had multiple electrical earths to a terminal on a steel structural member at the front of the engine bay. Position meant they were, like the Mini's distributor, constantly exposed to road spray and therefore rusting/poor conductivity. One of the earthed items was the radiator fan which consequently didn't operate when the thermocouple closed. Only temperature warning was a light that only came on when the engine was cooked.

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - S40 Man

Can you do a cheap bodge with head gasket repair goo

Eg in link below

bodge it, get mot shift it on pronto!

www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-...B

i think u might be right cheap bodge job and part ex or sell thru we buy are anycar

Well the plot thickens.

The retired mechanic who I left it with has driven it 30 miles this morning and he said it did not lose any water and that it looks fine him. He is taking it to a garage that he knows and will get it thru is MOT.

Only spoken to the mechanic briefly to him on the phone - but I am completely baffled by this! I dont know whether to be happy or angry!

"... I am completely baffled by this! I dont know whether to be happy or angry!"

Not baffled, surely? If your guy is right, the garage were trying to stitch you up.

Be happy - there's nothing seriously wrong with the car.

Be angry - there are people out there who are up to no good.

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - SteveLee

Put in a complaint to VOSA and trading standards - the garage was obviously trying to rip you off which many on here suspected from the word go.

The UK MOT system, where the inspector is also the repairer, is an invitation for the unscrupulous of the motor trade to create unnecesary work.

Where I live in France, there is a lot to do with owning and running vehicles that is a total PITA - trying to get imported vehicles registered involving obtaining the EU certificate of conformity, official translations of various paperwork at the whim of the prefecture staff, the sky-high registration tax cost based on obscure formulae involving CO2 and fantasy tax HP calculation figures etc.

But the French MOT, called the Controle Technique, is not a PITA.

Because the testing stations are not allowed to carry out repairs in any shape or form.

So you get what is says on the tin - a technical inspection with no creative fails..

PS - And it's only every two years after the first four years!

Before this thread disappears off the first page - do we have any further news?

Before this thread disappears off the first page - do we have any further news?

Yes! I took it for its MOT yesterday at another garage (unaffiliated garage) and it sailed thru its MOT with no advisories ! So the question is what to do now!

It goes without saying I am going to complain to the dealership - but I am also going to complain to Mazda UK - as i want them to know what their franchises are up to.

As I said in a previous post the semi retired mechanic who I left it with, checked it, he took it to his garage where he knows people well and they checked it and said it was fine.

Wiper blades and brakes, yes they did need doing - but the failed emissions and the "potential" head gasket failure was complete hogwash (putting it politely) as far as I am concerned.

It was a complete scam in my eyes, they were even trying to sell me another car and said I could trade in my knackered car for another one!

I was speaking to a work colleague and she said her husband had just traded in his Toyota Rav 4 for newer model as the garage (a different garage by the way) had quoted over a thousand pounds worth of work that needed doing to get it thru its MOT. They however just took their word for it and hey presto the garage has sold a car and probably got in an older Rav 4 at a rock bottom price.

Any ideas on who else I can complain to and advice going forward?

Finally, until I did my reasearch and help of you guys on here, why wasn't the cheaper option of the potential head gasket failure offered e.g. the fluid that costs about £30 per bottle that if it does not work you get your money back! They were all too keen to take the engine out without exploring all options!

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - skidpan

It was a complete scam in my eyes, they were even trying to sell me another car and said I could trade in my knackered car for another one!

A work colleague of mine started to have nasty noises from the rear of their 6 year old Subaru Justy. Took it to the local Subaru specialist (they bought it new form there but tha garage had lost the franchise) and were told that the differential was shot and parts were no longer available. Car was scrap. Garage was very kind and agreed to take car in PX for a 2 year old Subaru Imprezza.

Move on 2 weeks and car on forecout for sale with a nice price sticker. Colleague went in and spoke to salesman who said they had fitted a diff from an accident damaged car. Asked why they were not offered that option and were told its illegal to fit used parts on customers cars.

You do wonder why they lost thier franchise and how they were still in business

Guess how many times they have been back there again.

Yes! I took it for its MOT yesterday at another garage (unaffiliated garage) and it sailed thru its MOT with no advisories ! So the question is what to do now!

It goes without saying I am going to complain to the dealership - but I am also going to complain to Mazda UK - as i want them to know what their franchises are up to.

Glad it worked out for you and I hope the car continues to give you good service.

My 10p worth - don't bother complaining. Even if Mazda UK take it up with the garage, the garage will just say "in our opinion there were signs the head gasket had failed."

Just take your business elsewhere.

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - Brit_in_Germany

Any reason why the coolant was near empty, or was that a story made up to support their conclusion? I'd keep an eye on the level just in case.

My 10p worth - don't bother complaining. Even if Mazda UK take it up with the garage, the garage will just say "in our opinion there were signs the head gasket had failed."

Just as I thought - a stinker of an attempted scam - yet another blatant example of the widespread chicanery of the motor trade when it deals with folk, especially women, who are ignorant of the workings of their car. For those of us that buy used cars with our own money and keep them for several years it shows the importance of finding a good independent generalist MoT outfit and developing a mutually trusting relationship over many years.

I would at least send copies of your two MoT results to their head office and demand your money back.

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - Engineer Andy

Just as I thought - a stinker of an attempted scam - yet another blatant example of the widespread chicanery of the motor trade when it deals with folk, especially women, who are ignorant of the workings of their car. For those of us that buy used cars with our own money and keep them for several years it shows the importance of finding a good independent generalist MoT outfit and developing a mutually trusting relationship over many years.

I would at least send copies of your two MoT results to their head office and demand your money back.

Indeed, although I'd get trading standards involved as well and perhaps the DVLA over the dodgy MOT test.

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - galileo

Indeed, although I'd get trading standards involved as well and perhaps the DVLA over the dodgy MOT test.

I think it is DVSA that monitors MOT test stations, occasionally do "mystery shopper" tests at garages reported to them as dodgy.

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - Manatee

>>why wasn't the cheaper option of the potential head gasket failure offered e.g. the fluid that costs about £30 per bottle

I wouldn't expect any garage to recommend trying any sort of additive glop to fix a leaking CHG except on the most worthless banger.

The real question is whether there was ever anything wrong with the emissions or the CHG at all.

I'm very cynical about the average franchised dealer's ability to diagnose properly or willingness to offer the most cost-effective repairs. Reading fault codes is not diagnosis, which requires training and proper understanding. That's the main reason I prioritise reliability when choosing a car.

But even I struggle to believe a dealer workshop would invent a failure like this to rob a customer or con them into buying a new car.

You wont believe this - the saga continues - just been to the supermarket and the guy parked opposite me said he had been watching my car for the last 10 mins and said there was a Robin trapped inside - low and behold there is one - but I can't get it out. When I get home I will open the bonnet and hope it will fly out - hopefully it isnt trapped - I can see it thru the radiator grill - it seems perfectly fine!

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - Manatee

Probably trapped in the space between the grille and the radiator - if it can't get out through the grille you might need to do some dismantling.

Hi, me again. So several months have gone and the Mazda is running completely fine (touch wood). I can safely say there is no "head gasket" failure like the Mazda franchise dealership suggested there was. Now I want to make an official complaint. I was charged £200 or so for a service and MOT - and then an additional £50 or so for further investigation before i told them to stop and to give me the car back. I want at least the £50 back plus anything else they are wiling to give!

Secondly I have read somewhere that there has been a change in the recent rules to do with MOTs and the fact that if you have a car with a failed MOT you could not drive it to another garage for a second opnion - surely that will mean more issues like mine where you will have to take the garages word for it!

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - RobJP

No, the MOT rules aren't changing like that.

Defects will now be listed as 'advisories', 'minor', 'major', or 'dangerous'.

Advisories and minor defects will still pass the MOT.

Major is a fail, but the old MOT is still valid

Dangerous is not permitted to be driven on the highway, effective immediately.

Mazda CX-5 - MOT Failure - Head Gasket gone! - KJP 123

But car still has to be roadworthy or an offence even if car has months of MOT remaining.

You've left it a bit late, but go to the top. Find out what the 'Mazda franchised' outfit is and who personally owns it. If many shareholders, write to the MD or CEO. Copy to your local trading standards office. Copy to DVSA complaints dept. Don't forget a copy of the MoT pass you obtained soon after their scam.