Volvo V40 Replacement - JF1975

I am currently running a Volvo V40 R Design 2014 plate 1.6 Diesel.

I am considering changing next year so will be starting research in earnest soon.

I am enjoing the V40, it is a comfortable place to be in and offers something slightly leftfield of the usual choices. It is also one of the best looking hatchbacks in my opinion.

I would consider another V40 likely petrol even though I do 15k per annum.

I would also consider another brand, perhaps with the hope of getting slightly more rear leg room. I am 6 foot 5 and even my seat is not all the way book, room behind me is limited.

There are only 3 of us in the family and of course mainly only me in he car so this is not a deciding factor.

Do those in the know on this forum have an opinion on the later petrol models in the V40 against say a Mazda 3 2.0 or the 1.4 I may get in the VAG group

Volvo V40 Replacement - Avant

It might help if I tell you that I have a Volvo V60 D4 diesel, which uses more fuel than my wife's petrol Audi A1. The A1 has the 1.4 TFSI engine which you can get in various Audis, VWs SEATs and Skodas. If you wanrt a bit more room the Skoda Octavia is the best bet.

The V60 is a good place to be on a motorway, but it's not much fun anywhere else, with heavy, lifeless steering and stodgy handling. The V40 is a newer design and could well be better to drive: I haven't tried a petrol V40..

The Mazda 3 2.0 petrol has several fans among forum members, with good reason by the sound of it.. It has no turbo to go wrong: personally I found it on a test drive a bit lacking in low-down pull.

Volvo V40 Replacement - pd

I think a new V40 is due soon - might be worth hanging on for that.

Volvo V40 Replacement - JF1975

Thanks Avant. I find the v40 great on the motorway and pretty decent elsewhere too.

The only downside to the road manners is the turning circle which seems far worse than any focus/ golf / a3 I have previously owned.

I would be tempted by a high spec leon out of the vag group and would be buying used.

The new model mentioned in the later reply will definitely be of interest down the line but the next change is likely to be between the leon , Mazda 3 and another v40 ( possibly the cross country version )