Nice coupe around £6k - logger

Looking for a low mileage ( sub 50000 miles ) coupe for my wife ideally under £6k

We like the look of these cars :- ( on autotrader )

Toyota MR2 1.8 VVT-i 2006 £5500

Mazda MX-5 2.0 160 BHP 2008 £5500

Mercedes-Benz 1.6 CLC 160 BLUEEFFICIENCY £6400

Honda Cr-Z 1.5 IMA Hybrid Sport £ 5250

due to our age etc we dont have to worry too much about tax and mpg BUT we are worried about the maintenance on these cars over the 3 years we may have them...

Could any of them be expensive to fix ?

We have thought about extended warranties but not sure if they are worth it

thanks

Nice coupe around £6k - SLO76
For me there’s only one choice here, the MX5. These are truely brilliant little roadsters, cheap to buy, great fun to drive and generally very reliable. The big worries are rot and poorly repaired crash or rust damage. Get under it, preferably get it up on ramps to look underneath at sills and the suspension for serious rot. Front and rear arches crumble plus brake calippers are prone to sticking, especially on rarely used examples. Mechanically they’re excellent but they rust like it’s the 1970’s all over again and many are cheaply patched by smaller dealers to sell on.

Buy on condition and history over mileage. The 1.8 feels little slower day to day on the road than the 2.0 so it’s not worth worrying too much about which engines in it but both are very robust. Electrics are good but I’d avoid the CC with the electric folding hood as it adds weight and complexity.

The best examples at this money are in private sales with owners who’ve had them for years and many are bought with crumbling arches at auction by smaller dealers who repair them on the cheap so watch for poor quality paint that’ll rot through in no time. Get a good one and keep it nice and it’ll run forever.

The Merc CLC is no fun to drive and wasn’t a particularly well built car, while the wee Honda is interesting it’s battery pack degrades over time and will hurt performance, economy and resale. With a traditional 1800 VTEC under the hood at less money new these would’ve sold well but as is it was a flop for Honda here. The MR2 is good but watch for crash damage and some VVTi engines drink oil so look out for neglected cars. I prefer the look and drive of the wee Mazda however but this is personal preference.
Nice coupe around £6k - nellyjak

Agree...MX5...a car I've always liked...nearly bought at one stage but waited for a good Celica instead (which I bought and loved!).

As Slo says...rust is your biggest potential enemy but there are many good ones out there that have been looked after well.

The MR2 is a nice car too...but can have issues ...and b***** all luggage space.

Nice coupe around £6k - J.Barton

I can only make comments on MX-5 and MR2 - I have owned a mk3 MR2 for just over 1 year and regularly peruse a facebook group dedicated to them, and my brother bought an 1.8 MX-5 (albeit NB) around the same time. So the comparisons to the MX-5 are with the NB in mind but I can't imagine there is a huge difference between the NB and NC.

Performance wise, they are very similar cars. The MX-5 feels you can drive it on its limit more casually whereas the MR2 has mountains of grip, until you don't and you end up facing the other way :)

The interiors are very similar quality but I image the NC would be slightly plusher than the MR2 as its a newer model.

Reliability wise, I can't comment too much on the MX-5 but don't think my brother has had any issues with it.

The MR2 has several things you should be aware of; rear subframe can rot but isn't neccessarily picked up on MOTs and health checks as its concealed by a nappy. Handbrakes never ever seem to work. Rear calipers stick quite often. The big one is probably the pre-cat in the manifold can break up and make its way into the engine and cause significant damage/write off the engine, so make sure any car you consider has had this work done. Quite a few oil burners out there as well, mine being one of them. I think it is caused by substandard quality piston rings on earlier models but not 100% sure. Having said all of that, I think with a bit of care when looking around and regular maintainance these problems can be mitigated.

Price wise, you can get a decent MR2 for less than that. £3-4k will get you a good late example. I didn't buy mine but I imagine if I tried to sell it, it would be worth ~£1k and its an '02 with 95k miles on it and a few little issues here and there but is mostly a decent motor.

Last note: MX-5 and MR2 are definitely sports cars, compared the the CLC I test drove once which was definitely a more refined drive and less wind-in-your-hair thrills.

I didn't really structure this well but hopefully you find some of it helpful.

THANKS!

Detailed answers and very helpful

I was very interested in the answer about the electric hood. My wife favoured them because she had heard the soft-top leaks. Is this the case. My wife will be using it everyday including winter ( with some winter tyres if needed ) but only has a short 5 mile trip to work

Cheers

Nice coupe around £6k - J.Barton

I forgot to add that I can confirm the MR2 has naff all luggage space! When the brother came to visit in his MX-5 he brought a bunch of kit with him and managed to get it all in (was a squeeze though!). Partner and I went on holiday in the MR2 100 miles down the road for several days break - it was a masterwork of packing if I do say so myself, but every single inch of the car was jammed with stuff despite packing "light".

Nice coupe around £6k - bazza

The mid 00s MX5 1.8 is a very straightforward car. I had a 5 year old one a few years ago. Rust was already getting a hold on it underneath, even at that age. But what a lovely car. Try and find one with leather and heated seats, makes a huge difference in the winter. I personally wouldn't bother with anything other than a simple manual soft top, as it's a work of art in engineering simplicity. A few seconds up or down. But try one before you buy, it's quite a raw experience if you're used to hatchback/sedan comfort and cossetting. It's noisy on the motorway and very low down, so SUVs etc really do tower above you. But if you're comfortable with that, there's nothing better on a fine day-- apart from a sports bike of course!

Nice coupe around £6k - artill

i ran a CRZ for a year. in many ways a nice car, but although the seats are comfy enough when you first sit in them, after quite short journeys i ended up with awful back ache. the over firm rear suspension didnt help either. thats why i had it such a short time.

early cars have nicad batteries, later cars lithium ion and have about twice the electric boost, making them much better to drive, however later cars dont have room for a space saver spare. if you can get comfy, it might be ok. but an MX5 will be a lot more fun

Thanks to everybody

We are going to see some MX5's tomorrow to at least start the ball rolling

Cheers to all