GPS, GMP advice - macski

I was interested to hear on Sky news today that GMP advice GPS units to be put on the bottom of the screan and touching them can lead to a fine of £50 plus.

My windscrean is quite sharply racked and so putting the GPS unit on the bottom makes it so far away I can not see the details, secondly as you drive it gives traffic updates and if it suggests another route demands a confirmation if you wish to use it.

if you watch some of the police reality programs the windscreans are full of electronic equipment on some cars, cameras, GPS and other things.

Forthly if I made spelling mistakes please forgive.

GPS, GMP advice - Bolt

Some drivers have them directly in field of view above steering wheel, they are the ones that cause most problems as they cant see whats in front, then have the mobile next to it??

Though it would help if some could drive in the first place!

GPS, GMP advice - NARU

I passed someone last week, who had the satnav directly in front of the steering wheel, about halfway up! It was night, and the screen was bright. I've no idea how they could see the road.

I prefer not to have anything on the windscreen. I use a brodit clip instead.

GPS, GMP advice - sandy56

Yes we do have an increasing number of motorists who seem to be lacking in any sort of road awareness or driving skillls.

Since we have very little police actually patrolling the roads anymore we can expect more accidents and deaths due to the stupidity of many drivers.

Edited by sandy56 on 08/01/2018 at 08:18

GPS, GMP advice - gordonbennet

Yes we do have an increasing number of motorists who seem to be lacking in any sort of road awareness or driving skillls.

Bound to happen, actually controlling a vehicle has been deskilled to little more than turning the steering wheel, no one should be surprised at the results.

GPS, GMP advice - Bromptonaut

Best place for a satnav is lower right of windscreen? Seems pretty sensible advice to me. It's where it goes on my current Roomster and previous Mk 2 Berlingo.

Since it's 'one size fits all' there are inevitably going to be some vehicles it won't work in. Our Mk3 Berlingo has similar issue to OP but you can attach it to front quarter light or use a screen mount with an extension arm to bring unit nearer to driver.

And while police cars may have stuff in their windscreens (a) they've a crew of two and (b) the stuff is designed for a professional application and will be properly risk assessed.

GPS, GMP advice - RT

I like the sat-nav positioned as near my straight ahead position BUT below the lower edge of the windscreen - my car has 4 face-level vents across the dash, so attaching the sat-nav to the one just to the left of the instrument binnacle achieves to neccessary optimum.

I am above average height but still like my seat set to maximum height.

GPS, GMP advice - Metropolis.

I'm the same re seat height, otherwise I feel like those old Floridian women behind the wheel of their Buick Park Avenues...

GPS, GMP advice - Bolt

its not only sat navs and mobiles, an ever increasing amount of cars have stickers-hanging dolls and air fresheners all over their field of view front back and sides

then wonder where the car came from that nearly hit them because they dont signal to park or turn off...ie they thought they were the only car on the road

I prefer to have my sat nav (or built in unit if i'm driving a newer car) within my line of sight so I don't have to look away from the road. On my td5 I have it at the bottom of the (almost flat) windshield in the centre. If I put it to the right of the wheel i'd have terrible trouble getting the cable across.

The real answer to all this is a Head Up Display! Had them since the late 80s on american cars, can't understand why they haven't caught on more broadly.

GPS, GMP advice - catsdad
I suspect many drivers think that dangling things from the rear view mirror and putting satnavs on the windscreen only marginally affect direct vision. However what is being overlooked is the desensitisation of the eye to movement. If the eye becomes accustomed to movement In a particular area of view it will tend to ignore other movement in the same area, such a child running out.

I am not a qualified medic but this was certainly what my old dad was taught in his police driving tuition and subsequently drummed into me, many years ago.
GPS, GMP advice - Manatee
I suspect many drivers think that dangling things from the rear view mirror and putting satnavs on the windscreen only marginally affect direct vision. However what is being overlooked is the desensitisation of the eye to movement

That is absolutely corrrect. Peripheral vision isn't good for much except detecting movement or changes in brightness, but it is very useful for those things.

Furry dice etc mean that the driver is continually training himself to ignore movement in his peripheral vision, which is not at all helpful for driving.

Edited by Manatee on 12/04/2018 at 16:59

GPS, GMP advice - Bolt

The real answer to all this is a Head Up Display! Had them since the late 80s on american cars, can't understand why they haven't caught on more broadly.

No need if they build display into windscreen which I think will happen soon, visible enough to see without taking your eyes off the road, with adjustable intensity leds for clear reading

GPS, GMP advice - colinh

The trend in most new cars is to have the screen high up on the central console, protruding above the dashboard, and at the front edge of it - this wont obstruct the view. You can get the same effect using something like the Garmin flexible mount (other brands are available, probably):

buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/33328

I've used this successfully with a Garmin gps/dash cam

GPS, GMP advice - S40 Man

I only ever use sat Nav sound. I use mobile phone nav and keep it in my pocket or cubby near gesr stick. The "in 300m turn left" etc is more than adequate for me.

I can't see how a line or arrow on the screen or whatever helps.

This way there is no visual distraction.

Does anyone else do this?

Sounds like you’d get on well with one of the old Becker 1 din units, pity most of them can’t be updated past 2008 or i’d have one myself!