All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - Steveieb
The massive loss of 1400 vehicles in last nights fire in Liverpool reminds me of the car fire we had on our car park at work.
A faulty electrical repair on a Cavalier caused the car to self ignite and being petrol it spread rapidly to the next petrol car. And so on until four cars were destroyed.

The fire suddenly car to a halt when it jumped to a Discovery. The paintwork was burned but the fire did not escalate. The reason it was diesel powered.

From the fire safety point of view this gives diesel cars a major advantage in many incidents.

Compare this with Richard Hammonds crash in the electric super car in the Swiss mountains. The fire burned for five days as the heat caused a chain reaction between the cells . Surely a major safety consideration if this had happened on a motorway
All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - argybargy

Crikey, imagine the insurance claims. 1400 vehicles times say, an average of five grand plus damage to the building and consequential claims.

Looks like our premiums will be going up again.

Interesting thought about the limited propensity for diesel to spread fire, however, We did an experiment in the yard on the fire station, and unlike petrol, it was quite hard to get a pool of diesel poured onto concrete to ignite.

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - FoxyJukebox

What interests me here is what will happen to the future insurance premiums for those making the inevitable full claim. Will they be penalised in the future as drivers more at risk purely because they tend to leave their cars in flamable car parks ?

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - Engineer Andy
The massive loss of 1400 vehicles in last nights fire in Liverpool reminds me of the car fire we had on our car park at work. A faulty electrical repair on a Cavalier caused the car to self ignite and being petrol it spread rapidly to the next petrol car. And so on until four cars were destroyed. The fire suddenly car to a halt when it jumped to a Discovery. The paintwork was burned but the fire did not escalate. The reason it was diesel powered. From the fire safety point of view this gives diesel cars a major advantage in many incidents. Compare this with Richard Hammonds crash in the electric super car in the Swiss mountains. The fire burned for five days as the heat caused a chain reaction between the cells . Surely a major safety consideration if this had happened on a motorway

I wonder where are all the politicians baying for blood and calling for all multi-storey car parks to be fitted with sprinklers (there's already legislation in place for enclosed/below ground car parks as regards the use of smoke clearance fans) - is it because no-one died (they don't care if insurers raise all premiums on 'hard working' families)? No votes in it probably, just like most other things these days, because it isn't SJ enough.

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - Falkirk Bairn

DT Article
Sue Wright, wife of former England footballer Mark, told the Mail Online that she witnessed the start of the blaze and said it was sparked by an engine fire in a Land Rover.

"It was an old car that exploded as we were leaving the building. We were in our minibus and one of the kids shouted, 'there's a fire!"'

She added: "We've lost everything because our car was right next to the car that exploded. My handbag was in it, our cards, cash, everything. We just grabbed the keys and ran."

Known car & liability for other cars, out of pocket expenses, car hire, repair /demolition/rebuild of the building............

1500 cars @ £15K average claim = £22.5million alone
Building cost?

Overall a lot less than Jaguar fire in China, Aug 2015, when 6,000 new cars went on fire £250million claim against the chemical plant that blew up.

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - Miniman777

Hearing the 1pm news, I suspect that for many of the 1,400 car owners/drivers who have torched vehicles, this is just this start of their nightmare. It is unprecedented in scale, and so far the insurance world has been strangely silent.

Will insurance companines want proof of VIN numbers - which may need forensics help - to match with V5Cs before they pay out? And that assumes the wreckage can be recovered, given concerns over the building being unsafe.

How long will those who own cars have to wait for a payout? Those with lease cars may get a replacement sooner, others will struggle.

There maybe a few who wish they'd taken out GAP insurance if their cars are on PCP, HP or personal loans.

Will Insurance co's be realistic on market value payouts, with the addition of personal belongings etc. or wil they drag their feet and be picky - knowing what insurance companies can be like.

I feel quite sorry for those who have lost everything, it's a real shame. That said, I can see the accident management companies rubbing their hands with glee, and also used car salesman may see January in a new light. I suspect the net result will be that everyone loses somewhere along the line. I also find it shocking that such devastation can stem from one car and it does raise issues on car park design, sprinklers and fire breaks.

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - RT
The massive loss of 1400 vehicles in last nights fire in Liverpool reminds me of the car fire we had on our car park at work. A faulty electrical repair on a Cavalier caused the car to self ignite and being petrol it spread rapidly to the next petrol car. And so on until four cars were destroyed. The fire suddenly car to a halt when it jumped to a Discovery. The paintwork was burned but the fire did not escalate. The reason it was diesel powered. From the fire safety point of view this gives diesel cars a major advantage in many incidents. Compare this with Richard Hammonds crash in the electric super car in the Swiss mountains. The fire burned for five days as the heat caused a chain reaction between the cells . Surely a major safety consideration if this had happened on a motorway

You reckon is burnt through 1,400 petrol cars before it came to a diesel?

Anyway, diesel does burn in fires that fierce.

In reply RT all I can say from personal experience is that in the car park fire I witnessed five petrol cars caught light one by one but the fire came to an abrupt halt once it tried to jump across onto a diesel Discovery.

There was lots of superficial damage to the side panels of the Discovery which are made of plastic but even with a strong wind blowing the spread failed to continue along the line of vehicles
All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - Andrew-T

<< You reckon it burnt through 1,400 petrol cars before it came to a diesel? >>

I doubt that any vehicles would be unharmed in that inferno. It was a 3-D fire, not just one-dimensional as in Stevie's example. But I bet the diesel cars went up much later than the petrol ones.

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - KB.

Crikey, imagine the insurance claims. 1400 vehicles times say, an average of five grand plus damage to the building and consequential claims.

Interesting thought about the limited propensity for diesel to spread fire, however, We did an experiment in the yard on the fire station, and unlike petrol, it was quite hard to get a pool of diesel poured onto concrete to ignite.

Point noted re. the ancdote concerning the experiment in the yard ... however I can't come up with a better one as, at all the stations I ever worked at, no-one could be bothered to raise the enthusiasm - least of all me - I spent as much time reading Bill Bryson, and Wilbur Smith, washing and polishing the car and examining the back of my eyelids as possible ... and became highly accomplished by the end. It's vaguely possible things are different now.

Edited by KB. on 01/01/2018 at 19:03

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - argybargy

Point noted re. the ancdote concerning the experiment in the yard ... however I can't come up with a better one as, at all the stations I ever worked at, no-one could be bothered to raise the enthusiasm - least of all me - I spent as much time reading Bill Bryson, and Wilbur Smith, washing and polishing the car and examining the back of my eyelids as possible ... and became highly accomplished by the end. It's vaguely possible things are different now.

Probably not now, KB. I speak of 15, 20 years ago, having retired myself ten years since.

Like you I spent a lot of my career wasting time between shouts, though we were forced to do an increasing amount of training when the modernisers finally arrived at Brigade HQ in the late 80s. Still, believe it or not, the petrol/ diesel thing was one of the more interesting, if not particularly useful exercises we did on the yard. Most of the others involved flinging ladders and hosepipes around with barely controlled abandon and wasting tens of thousands of gallons of water into the bargain.

Oddly enough, the fire station where I spent much of my career stood just across the road from where the Liverpool multi storey fire happened the other night. Had it still been there (demolished a good few years ago) they might have put it out more quickly, especially as there was a hydraulic platform on site.

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - daveyjp

"But I bet the diesel cars went up much later than the petrol ones."

Sorry, but its simply not possible to state that. What will have caused the fire to spread is flashover. All those flammable gases on a very confined space means spontaneous ignition, the gases can't escape, they heat up and ignite.

Have a look at a room fire video where a single match in a sofa causes flashover in just 2-3 minutes. Imagine how quickly it happens with a few hundred gallons of fuel available.

There are far more flammable products in a car than just diesel - brake fluid, plastic interiors, seat materials, rubber etc and all these will simply start to burn once the glass shatters from the flashover heat.

There are far more flammable products in a car than just diesel - brake fluid, plastic interiors, seat materials, rubber etc and all these will simply start to burn once the glass shatters from the flashover heat.

All the materials you mention are indeed flammable, but none will ignite instantly, especially inside a closed vehicle. For that fire to develop into what we saw, it will have spread by instantly ignitable fuel. The only such thing available is petrol, unless there was something similar stored or in a car boot perhaps. And the space is not as confined as the living-room in the well-known videos, it's a multistorey with open sides. Presumably the fuel tank in the LR exploded.

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - daveyjp

Items do "burst" into flames from radiant heat. On a car the obvious item which will go quickly are the tyres and glass, but there is no need for vast quanities of fuel to enable it to spread.

The open sides will not allow the fumes to escape sufficiently. The smoke and heat rises then travels along the roofspace, the heat then ignites the flammable fumes in the smoke leading to flashover.

Look a the photo on the BBC website

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-42533830

The first car on fire has flames already reaching the roof and appears to be parked against an internal wall, not against the open sides. A few minutes later and all those cars and the VW van would have been well alight.

Watch this and go to just before 10 minuites - despite having a vacant space between it and the other car the Freelander ignites through radiant heat.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bjMLFx4IQg

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - Metropolis.
Is the now former land rover owner going to face 1400 people
claiming against his insurance? Not well versed in this stuff
personally but sounds like an utter nightmare..
All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - John F
Is the now former land rover owner going to face 1400 people claiming against his insurance?

Perhaps JLR will be sued. If you search 'land rovers catching fire' they appear to have form.....

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - Metropolis.
I have heard on the grapevine (may be incorrect!) the vehicle in question was
a P38, so approx 20 years old most likely, no case against
JLR there.
All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - CK91437

A lot of work for the lawyers then........to sort out who to blame and how to recover the money.

Musical chairs, springs to mind.

And any excuse to bump up the insurance premiums.

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - Terry W

Clearly a problem for the owners of the 1400 cars, particularly in the interim until claims are processed. But as an incident it is quite trivial. No fatalities or injuries so far as I am aware.

To simplify the numbers there are 28m cars registered in UK - a loss of 1400 represents 1 in 20000. The impact on insurance will be correspondingly trivial - assuming an average claim of £7k, the total claim would be £9.8m - represents a cost of about 30p for all registered cars.

Even if the costs of repairs to the car park are another £15m and the claim per car is £10k not £7k, the total impact on premiums will be about a £1. .

Interesting. If the old land rover was 'responsible' and was found to lack an MoT, and its owner was a farmer with a few hundred acres (£8,000 per acre) to their name, would they face ruin?

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - madf

Interesting. If the old land rover was 'responsible' and was found to lack an MoT, and its owner was a farmer with a few hundred acres (£8,000 per acre) to their name, would they face ruin?

Ruin? For about 12 months . Then start again with a clean slate after declaring bankruptcy...

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - nick62

Ruin? For about 12 months . Then start again with a clean slate after declaring bankruptcy...

Not sure if it still applies, but as someone who grew-up in the middle of the Peak District in the 60s, the oft used phrase "no such thing as a poor farmer" was certainly true.

Reminds me of a TV documentary some time ago where the film shows farmers meeting-up to organise a protest (where they are complaining about something that was going to affect their income) ................ they are all in Range Rovers and Q7's.

Edited by nick62 on 02/01/2018 at 14:25

<< ... a TV documentary some time ago ... shows farmers meeting-up to organise a protest (where they are complaining about something that was going to affect their income) ................ they are all in Range Rovers and Q7's. >>

The poorer ones couldn't afford to get to the protest ?

How? Difficult to farm if you've got no land, difficult to earn much if no qualifications.

Not sure if it still applies, but as someone who grew-up in the middle of the Peak District in the 60s, the oft used phrase "no such thing as a poor farmer" was certainly true.

Myth, I think - especially if tenant farmer. Might be asset rich, but often cash

................ they are all in Range Rovers and Q7's.

No doubt a select group. Depends how much land you have. The Duke of Buccleuch (owns much arable and many sheep round here) is clearly not short of a bob or two thanks to the EU but most farmers round here seem to run ancient Discos.

Musical chairs, springs to mind.

More like Pass the Parcel I think ?

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - Brit_in_Germany

Or "pin the tail on the donkey"?

Wonder if the farmers old Land Rover was petrol or diesel ?
All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - ExA35Owner

From a report in today's paper, the French are trying to emulate us. Reports of 1,031 cars set alight on New Year's Eve, up from 935 in 2016, mainly in the cities.

www.thelocal.fr/20180102/increase-in-new-years-eve...e

All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - 520i

The Liverpool fire is thought to have originated in a Landrover! Any vehicle will burn regardless of fuel type, and burn well. Google 'bus engine fire' for a brief idea. Whilst diesel itself isn't anywhere near as volatile as petrol, there is still ample opportunity for a fire to start, from a huge array of potential causes. Diesel will eventually also explode I believe, once it reaches sufficient temperatures.

Just thought if the vehicle belonged to a farmer its bound to be insured with NFU so will they be responsible for the 1400 vehicles ?

Or will they decline responsibility if as quoted above the vehicle had no MOT hence not insured ?

Or will they decline responsibility if as quoted above the vehicle had no MOT hence not insured ?

I think that was pure speculation, not a suggestion of reality. Interesting question though.

Turns out that LV have established themselves as the good guys by providing hire cars to all customers involved even though they did not have this feature. No claims discounts will also not be affected.

Let's hope this attitude continues under their new joint ownership.
All fuels - Car fire in Liverpool multi story car park - nick62

No claims discounts are a "smoke and mirrors" trick. Whilst it may be protected, it doesn't stop them increasing your base premium by whatever factor they so choose.