Best Family Car for 5k? - jonnyjjbean

With 2 little kids I am in need of a car with more boot space - currently driving a 57 reg Audi A3 Sport 2.0 with 96k and looking to get something a bit bigger as we are filling the boot up way to easily and have no roof rack. Also 3 doors is a pain.

Unfortunatly I don't have much to spend - 3k + whatever I can get for my car, PX or eBay... PX price seems to be around £2.1k and ebay not much better...

Currently looking at a few

- Mondeo Estate
- Focus Estate
- Insignia Estate
- Freelander 2
- Mitsubishi Outlander
- Nissan X Trail

I'm not hugely fussy but I want the car to suit my eye (which rules out MPVs) having previoulsy had a Rav 4, I like the bigger cabin and the idea of being higher up so the 4x4 ones appeal a little bit more - but it does seem as though these are generally have higher miles or older reg for the same money.

Also even though they seem to have bigger boot spaces - I'm guessing this is mainly vertical space and thus impractical...?

Do any of these have glaring reliability issues at around 100k?

Is the Land Rover expensive to repair? This is a critical factor, I thought buying British would be cheaper..than german like I have now.

Sorry bit clueless and it's a lot of money.

Edited by jonnyjjbean on 30/12/2017 at 13:54

Best Family Car for 5k? - RobJP

First off, a few more details will help to tighten down on the possibilities, and (hopefully) help people to steer you away from the more problematic cars.

How many miles per annum will it do (this matters as to whether petrol or diesel is likely to be better), and do you want manual or auto - or do you have no preference.

Best Family Car for 5k? - nellyjak

Given your budget...and therefore buying a relatively "older" vehicle, with possibly a higher mileage...I would steer you in two words....."go Japanese"..!

The chances of good reliability are simply higher.

Best Family Car for 5k? - bazza

With around a 5K budget, and the need for more space, you're looking a cars well into middle age. Yes, petrol, Japanese and full service history to give you the best chance of avoiding huge bills and buying somebody else's money pit. This shouts Avensis estate to me. Also, the Focus estate 1.6 petrol if you can find a good one, will do nicely. Octavia estates of that era will be largely problematic petrol engines but if you could find a now rare 1.9 tdi, with full history, that would be worth considering. SLO will be along soon to advise in more detail, with his expertise as a car dealer. Don't forget if you buy from a dealer, a good thousand or so will be taken up as profit.

Best Family Car for 5k? - badbusdriver

As Rob says, more info needed regarding your annual mileage and usage. As for budget, no disrespect intended, but £5k really is not a lot of money to be throwing at a complex turbo diesel or SUV, and as such, image, style or whatever, really shouldn't be a major factor. You really want to be keeping it as simple as possible. If mileage permits, you want a petrol engine and ideally manual gearbox. Yes Japanese is likely to be the best bet reliability wise, but also Korean. Out of your list, the only 2 that would appeal at £5k are the mondeo or focus estates. 1.6/1.8 petrol for the focus, 2.0 petrol for the mondeo. The mondeo of that budget is very closely related to the mazda 6 of the same age, so i'd be looking at one of them too. I wouldn't go anywhare near a freelander at that price (or indeed any price!), if you must have an SUV then you should be looking at a toyota RAV4 or honda CR-V (with petrol engine). But going by what you have said and without knowing what miles you cover, this would be my 1st choice,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171221220...1

Here are some others you might want to consider,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171221221...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171130171...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171011018...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171129168...g

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171129167...1

As for budget, no disrespect intended, but £5k really is not a lot of money to be throwing at a complex turbo diesel or SUV, and as such, image, style or whatever, really shouldn't be a major factor.

Thanks - is that due to reliability? I assume these higher priced cars are more prone to things going wrong - i.e more complex engines = more potential problems?

As Rob says, more info needed regarding your annual mileage and usage. As for budget, no disrespect intended, but £5k really is not a lot of money to be throwing at a complex turbo diesel or SUV, and as such, image, style or whatever, really shouldn't be a major factor. You really want to be keeping it as simple as possible. If mileage permits, you want a petrol engine and ideally manual gearbox. Yes Japanese is likely to be the best bet reliability wise, but also Korean. Out of your list, the only 2 that would appeal at £5k are the mondeo or focus estates. 1.6/1.8 petrol for the focus, 2.0 petrol for the mondeo. The mondeo of that budget is very closely related to the mazda 6 of the same age, so i'd be looking at one of them too. I wouldn't go anywhare near a freelander at that price (or indeed any price!), if you must have an SUV then you should be looking at a toyota RAV4 or honda CR-V (with petrol engine). But going by what you have said and without knowing what miles you cover, this would be my 1st choice,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171221220...1

Here are some others you might want to consider,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171221221...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171130171...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171011018...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171129168...g

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171129167...1

Thanks so much for this list - I like the look of the Mazda in particular and also the Avensis. I've emailed the dealer of the Mazda to see if they deliver (quite far from me).

I have also been looking at eBAy - there are a few on there. Is this a place to be avoided or is it just as safe/risky as AutoTrader?

One example here seems good value: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-08-MAZDA-6-2-5-SPORT-5D-17...S

Thanks again.

I don't really think there is much difference in risk if indeed there is any, between autotrader and ebay. After all, you are not buying the car from either of the websites, you are buying it from a dealer. Often the same dealer will advertise in both. They both have their pro's and cons with regards to looking for a car, but overall i favour autotrader. On ebay, the main benefit is that you can search for more than one specific car at the same time, for example, ford mondeo, maxda 6, toyota avensis with an auto gearbox and petrol engine. Whereas on autotrader you would have to search for them individually or sift through loads of stuff you are not interested in by just selecting automatic petrol estate.

I think I have narrow it down to 2 Mazda 6's thanks to your suggestion above.

1) 2008 2.5 Sport 90k

2) 2010 2.0 TS2 96k

Both from garages with seemingly good reviews and both petrol with servoice history, long MOT.

The sport is £1k cheaper.

Edited by jonnyjjbean on 02/01/2018 at 12:52

First off, a few more details will help to tighten down on the possibilities, and (hopefully) help people to steer you away from the more problematic cars.

How many miles per annum will it do (this matters as to whether petrol or diesel is likely to be better), and do you want manual or auto - or do you have no preference.

Thanks, sorry forgot that aspect. We will do light miles - around 6-8k a year max.

With that mileage then definitely petrol unless you tow a large caravan.

With regards to budget and reliability, that is a bit more complicated, but essentially it boils down to the fact that for quite a few years now diesel cars have been becoming ever more complex and sophisticated in an endless quest to provide the Holy grail of performance, economy and low emissions those who want their cake and to eat it desire. For the serial new car buyer who changes before the warranty is up this is not a problem. But as the cars get older and go through subsequent owners who then cut costs by having the car serviced by back street garages who don't really understand the finer points of keeping them in good fettle, that is where the problems arise. And that is precisely the kind of car which you might find yourself looking at with your budget. Something new enough to have a more modern turbo diesel engine, but old enough to have had plenty of opportunity to be neglected. It is undoubtedly possible to get a great diesel car for your £5k, but the chances are slim, and the financial implications of a major engine component on car like this going wrong is grim, thousands of pounds worth of grim!.

So, to sum up, given your mileage, I would very much stick with the types of cars in the links I posted.

Best Family Car for 5k? - Mike Sammon
similar position to me. Looking at Toyota and Honda estates and hatchbacks. Don’t get much for your money on the cars with a higher seating position. I’ve been happy with my Almera Tino but they stopped at 2005 I think. About 3 grand for one with low mileage and full service history. Needs a timing chain now though and mines an 03 and a bit bored of it.
Best Family Car for 5k? - SLO76
Assuming the Audi is a 2.0 FSi petrol you’ll be lucky to get £1,200-£1,500 as a part exchange against a sub £5k motor. As a private sale possibly a bit closer to £2k if it’s very nice and not in need of anything. You may be shocked when you try to part ex, it’s too old to retail and through auction it’ll be closer to £1k than £2k. If it’s a diesel then it’ll be more desirable. Forget price guides at this age, they’re meaningless, you can’t value a ten year old 100k motor from a book. If it’s rough and has no history it’s next to worthless. These need a timing belt every 4yrs and most buyers know this so expect to be battered down by £300-£400 in any private sale if it’s overdue.

That said I wouldn’t recommend a diesel here, they’re over complex and prone to loads of expensive woe as they age. Keep it simple, buy a petrol engined Estate or larger 5dr hatch instead. Mk II Ford Focus with the Yamaha designed 1.6 or Mazda 1.8/2.0 petrols are good news, as is the Honda Civic 1.8, Honda Accord 2.0, Toyota Avensis 1.8/2.0 VVT, Mazda 6 1.8/2.0 and the Mondeo with 2.0 Mazda petrol power.

I’d forget also the notion of buying an SUV. Again this adds complexity weight and costs. The diesels will be high in the miles and likely to be a constant source of hassle and the few petrols I’d recommend (Honda CRV 2.0/Toyota RAV4 2.0 VVT) will be thirsty.

One of the best cars at this money is the Mk II Focus. Take a drive in one, they’re genuinely great to drive and excellent value. They use Japanese designed engines and space in a 5dr or an Estate will be better than your A3. Parts are cheaper too.

Edited by SLO76 on 30/12/2017 at 23:46

Best Family Car for 5k? - SteveLee

I'd hunt down a Ford Mondeo 2.3 Titanium X auto - which you should be able to find for under 5K. the 2.3 petrol isn't particularly frugal - but it'll last forever. A fully specced very nice to drive car.

Just did a search on Autotrader and found a low mileage example:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171207189...6

Assuming the Audi is a 2.0 FSi petrol you’ll be lucky to get £1,200-£1,500 as a part exchange against a sub £5k motor. As a private sale possibly a bit closer to £2k if it’s very nice and not in need of anything. You may be shocked when you try to part ex, it’s too old to retail and through auction it’ll be closer to £1k than £2k. If it’s a diesel then it’ll be more desirable. Forget price guides at this age, they’re meaningless, you can’t value a ten year old 100k motor from a book. If it’s rough and has no history it’s next to worthless. These need a timing belt every 4yrs and most buyers know this so expect to be battered down by £300-£400 in any private sale if it’s overdue. That said I wouldn’t recommend a diesel here, they’re over complex and prone to loads of expensive woe as they age. Keep it simple, buy a petrol engined Estate or larger 5dr hatch instead. Mk II Ford Focus with the Yamaha designed 1.6 or Mazda 1.8/2.0 petrols are good news, as is the Honda Civic 1.8, Honda Accord 2.0, Toyota Avensis 1.8/2.0 VVT, Mazda 6 1.8/2.0 and the Mondeo with 2.0 Mazda petrol power. I’d forget also the notion of buying an SUV. Again this adds complexity weight and costs. The diesels will be high in the miles and likely to be a constant source of hassle and the few petrols I’d recommend (Honda CRV 2.0/Toyota RAV4 2.0 VVT) will be thirsty. One of the best cars at this money is the Mk II Focus. Take a drive in one, they’re genuinely great to drive and excellent value. They use Japanese designed engines and space in a 5dr or an Estate will be better than your A3. Parts are cheaper too.

It's a 2.0 TDi Sport (Diesel).

One dealer sent me a screenshot of Glasses guide showing £2200 - though it has some cosmetic issues like dents, broken wiper etc.

“It's a 2.0 TDi Sport (Diesel).

One dealer sent me a screenshot of Glasses guide showing £2200 - though it has some cosmetic issues like dents, broken wiper etc.”

Book price is meaningless on a ten year old car especially one with damage. They won’t retail it, it’ll go to auction where it’ll fetch £1,200-£1,500 tops which is where they’ll value it at best since there’s costs involved in sending it through the ring too. If you get £2,200 or anything near then the other car will be heavily overpriced. If it was in excellent order with a full history and in need of nothing then £2,000 or above would be possible but as you say it’s not.

Edited by SLO76 on 01/01/2018 at 12:57

“It's a 2.0 TDi Sport (Diesel). One dealer sent me a screenshot of Glasses guide showing £2200 - though it has some cosmetic issues like dents, broken wiper etc.” Book price is meaningless on a ten year old car especially one with damage. They won’t retail it, it’ll go to auction where it’ll fetch £1,200-£1,500 tops which is where they’ll value it at best since there’s costs involved in sending it through the ring too. If you get £2,200 or anything near then the other car will be heavily overpriced. If it was in excellent order with a full history and in need of nothing then £2,000 or above would be possible but as you say it’s not.

Why wouldn't they retail it? I assumed they'd turn it around and relist at a price in line with the other A3 TDIs on AutoTrader which are anything from £3k-5k. The garage who offered me £2200 said that's what they would do.

“Why wouldn't they retail it? I assumed they'd turn it around and relist at a price in line with the other A3 TDIs on AutoTrader which are anything from £3k-5k. The garage who offered me £2200 said that's what they would do.”

Some smaller dealer might but with all the rights buyers have now under law it’s a big risk for retailers to sell a ten year old car with 100k which could go spectacularly wrong. Most will punt it to auction but even if they keep it they’ll need a strong margin on it to cover prep and warranty costs. Factoring in the costs, any discount and vat on any profit they’ll need £1000-£1,500 margin to retail it. I see similar cars go through the ring regularly and £1,200-£1,500 is the norm unless they’re particularly nice. Best thing you can do is get out there and take a look at other cars and see what you’re offered, bearing in mind that focussing on the part ex price isn’t wise as many dealers mark their stock up to then discount heavily or offer high trade ins yet you’re no better off so make sure it’s priced in line with others.
“Why wouldn't they retail it? I assumed they'd turn it around and relist at a price in line with the other A3 TDIs on AutoTrader which are anything from £3k-5k. The garage who offered me £2200 said that's what they would do.” Some smaller dealer might but with all the rights buyers have now under law it’s a big risk for retailers to sell a ten year old car with 100k which could go spectacularly wrong. Most will punt it to auction but even if they keep it they’ll need a strong margin on it to cover prep and warranty costs. Factoring in the costs, any discount and vat on any profit they’ll need £1000-£1,500 margin to retail it. I see similar cars go through the ring regularly and £1,200-£1,500 is the norm unless they’re particularly nice. Best thing you can do is get out there and take a look at other cars and see what you’re offered, bearing in mind that focussing on the part ex price isn’t wise as many dealers mark their stock up to then discount heavily or offer high trade ins yet you’re no better off so make sure it’s priced in line with others.

Thanks - yeah even in my short time I've noticed the garages with higher-than-average prices are the ones offing the bst money.

Best Family Car for 5k? - barney100

In the same position years a Volvo petrol estate came to the rescue. It had 160K on the clock and I it for about three years as the family workhorse.