carina e - marty lad
was thinking of buying a toyota carina e 1.6 petrol 1997,50,000 miles.would welcome any advise is it a good car, what to look foretc.thanx in advance.
carina e - Paul Robinson
My father has a 97 Carina E, bought 98 (ex dealer demo). It had problems with the immobiliser and a lamba sensor failure as detailed in the car by car breakdown, also a problem with the front discs, all fixed under warranty. Recently he has had a second lamba sensor failure, fixed at a heavily discounted rate.

So, not faultless but he's been pleased with the car. The dealer (Murley Stratford upon Avon) has been very good.
carina e - ian
Fantastic car, huge inside, economical, goes well enough even with 1.6. Superbly reliable, no problems with oxygen sensor( i don't think they like short journeys and pootling about though).

I had a 94L written off in January outside my house, insurance co. paid £1300 and I still sold the car for £300 to be repaired. This car had done 110k, 60k by me and still had the original battery (which still started the car after being left for 2 weeks at a time). Minimal servicing costs.

Don't pay too much though, I understand the avensis is just as good, and they are getting old now.
carina e - DavidHM
Hope it's cheap. Generally Carinas have an excellent reputation for reliability but the plastics inside look cheap (though probably would survive duty on the streets of Baghdad) and it's definitely style factor zero!

Generously, £2600 in a private sale, if you actually like the car. I find that hard to understand, but there are legions of people on here who love them, so I'm not going to advise you to stay away. If I wanted reliability above all else, I'd still get a Primera - marginally less hideous and apparently far better to drive.
carina e - marty lad
Hope it\'s cheap. Generally Carinas have an excellent
reputation for reliability but the plastics inside look cheap
(though probably would survive duty on the streets of
Baghdad) and it\'s definitely style factor zero!
Generously, £2600 in a private sale, if you actually like the
car. I find that hard to understand, but there are
legions of people on here who love them, so I\'m not
going to advise you to stay away. If I wanted
reliability above all else, I\'d still get a Primera -
marginally less hideous and apparently far better to drive.

cheers dave,the funny thing is i drive a primera at the moment,but with 145,000 on the clock i thought it time to get something a little \"fresher\".cheers marty.
carina e - Rojer
I think you can buy special spark plugs for the Carina which means you don;t have tochange them (or pay someone to do it) for 60,000 miles!

We had an 'L' Carina 1.6 ... PLENTY of power (I drive a Merc S280 now) and yes, ultimately reliable.

rojer@lycos.co.uk

1.3 'A' Astra
'W' Renault 18
'H' Renault 25 TXi
'H' Astra Est
'K' Passat
'
carina e - marty lad
thats right rojer they are special platinum tipped plugs with a very special price,about 75 euro a set.however this has,nt put me off and am going to pick up car this evening. cheers marty
carina e - Rojer
The 60,000 mile changover is a bonus as you don't (in theory) have to pay 5 * labour for changing them or 5 * a full set of plugs. Worth getting.

The estate version is quite big given the size of the car that it is and it is VERY quiet. Okay, not as quiet as an S-Class Mercedes but then you're not paying £50,000 are you? Are you .. ?

;)

rojer@lycos.co.uk

1.3 'A' Astra
'W' Renault 18
'H' Renault 25 TXi
'H' Astra Est
'K' Passat
'
carina e - marty lad
some day......................