Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - Teshy

Dear all,

Apologies if I have put this in the wrong place but been a long time lurker on the forum whilst I weigh up the best options for our new family car.

Current car is a 2002 Audi A3 which we’ve outgrown since two little ones (3 months and 2 years) turned up. Wishlist includes:

• Bigger boot (always an interesting fitting buggy, pram and supplies in the A3);
  • More cabin space (I’m 6 foot and so the A3 always feels a bit cramped on the driver’s side);
  • Decent interior (i.e. infotainment) and generally a decent quality spec inside;
  • Reliable and not too costly to maintain (looking to keep the car long term);
  • Manual, petrol and fun to drive (looking for a petrol);
  • Not a big large car (something just a little bit more substantial than the A3 – my dad has a ’65 Passat and that is way too big)
  • Max 3/4 years old and tring to avoid big milleague.

Have had a look through this forum, I’ve managed to narrow the list down to these:

1. Mazda 3
  2. SEAT Leon
  3. Skoda Octavia
  4. Volvo V60

We’re planning to head out to showrooms over the next few weekends to have a look at examples but wanted to know if any one had any thoughts on this list ot an obvious choice that I was missing (I thought about the Honda Civic but doesn’t interior seems a little dated when looking at the budget).

Having asked around friends seem to suggest Golf/BMW Series 3/Audi A4 – any reason why these aren’t particularly highly recommended around here??

Grateful for any help – really not a car buff so any advice is good!

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - veloceman
Personally I can only speak for the Leon.
I’m currently on my third after brief ownership of a 1 series I have gone back to the Leon.

I’ve had the 1.4 petrol in all three variants; 125, 140, 150bhp
The 125 is perfectly adequate, the 140/150 is really torquey making easy to drive swiftly and still maintain 50 mpg.
You really do get everything. Great build, performance, handling and spec if you go for the Tech spec.
Only thing gone wrong was a misted up headlight which was replaced under warranty.
Also Seat dealers are now on fixed price servicing, which ever one you go to the price is the same and very reasonable.
Road tax is cheap £20-30 unless you go for post April ‘17.
Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - SteveLee

The Mazda 3 is an excellent choice - particularly in petrol form where Mazda are generally ahead of the field with their excellent SKYACTIV-G units. If it does everything you want and is the right size - why bother looking elsewhere? I wouldn't buy a diesel as they are rapidly (politically) heading into the abyss as people realise they've been had - people have been conned into swapping pretend polution (CO2 - ie plant food) for real polution (diesel particulates) which are now killing our urban-dwlling children - well done ecoloons. I've been been complaining about this since G Brown first tweaked the tax laws to encourage diesel use and have now been proven right (sadly) as our urban air pollution levels have gone sky high.

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - Avant

Absolutely the right place for this, Teshy - welcome.

The Leon and Mazda 3 are good cars but much the same size as the five-door A3. I have a Volvo V60 and it's soild and comfortable, but not as good to drive as I hoped, and it isn't all that roomy inside.

The Octavia is much the best bet of your shortlist: the estate is no longer than the hatchback and is easier to load and has better visibiity at the back. The 1.4 TSI petrol manual is quick enough, although the 2-litre petrol Octavia vRS has the Golf GTI engine and goes like a bomb. I had three in a row before the Volvo and still miss the last one in particular.

You could also look at the Mazda 6 petrol, or (because there are lots of them to choose from) a Ford Focus petrol estate or a Ford C-Max.

The Golf is also the same size as the A3: you could look for a Golf estate, but Skodas are cheaper to buy than VWs and Audis.

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - balleballe

I like Mazda, having had 2 mazdas prior to my current car.

It boot space and interior space is what you're after then don't discount the civic. I have one, coming from a previous gen Mazda 3.

The civic is roomier inside and has a bigger boot. The new civic is even bigger and returns decent economy with it a turbocharged petrols.

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - badbusdriver

A 2002 A3, especially if 3 door, is smaller than the current car, but not by a huge amount. Boot space in particular is pretty much on a par with what you will get on it's £10k equivalent. The only 2 cars which stand out as having bigger boots than normal for that class are the Honda civic and skoda octavia, particularly the skoda. But I don't really see why a 6 footer like yourself would feel cramped in your A3 as I know from experience that most VAG products for years and years have been able to comfortably accommodate drivers much taller than you.

Out of your suggestions, if a big boot is a priority, then the skoda fits the bill best, coupled with the 1.4tsi engine and manual gearbox. Also the estate version of the leon which has a much bigger boot than the hatchback and, imo, is a better looking car.

The mazda is a great car in most respects, but the boot is no bigger than average, and probably no bigger than your A3.

Personally, I'd also be looking at the Honda civic estate which has a massive boot, is relatively simple mechanically, and unfailingly reliable.

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - Falkirk Bairn

2 kids, 3 mths & 2 years - small estate car is better than a hatchback - My vote is Auris Estate - either petrol or hybrid if there is enough in the budget - - 5 years warranty by company that tends to stand up for their failures even out of warranty (assuming serviced) in contrast to many other Japanese & Euro makers!

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - SLO76
As much as I rate them you won’t get much extra space in a Mazda 3 or a Leon, estate excluded. The V60 is hard to come by in petrol form though the Skoda is a great car if you stick to the post 2013 belt driven TSi motors. Earlier versions used a chain which is prone to problems. Road noise is an issue according to some owners but I can’t say I find them noticeably bad.

I’ll be looking for a car next year with a similar criteria. I need space, a petrol engine, longterm reliability and I value comfort over speed or handling, plus my budget will be similar to yours.

My shortlist is currently.

Mazda 6 2.0 Skyativ Estate. Though £12k is currently the realistic entry point for a low mileage approved used car here, higher mileage (50k) can be had from around £10k with a bit of negotiation. They are excellent big family wagons in every way. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171106100...0

Honda Civic 1.8 Tourer. Utterly reliable and decent on fuel. There’s always a steady demand for these so they’ll be an easy sell later on.

Toyota Avensis 1.8 Estate Again pretty much bombproof but a bit bland to look at and drive. Good value used though. Auto parking brake is pointless and can be trouble but later post facelift cars are supposedly better.

Toyota Auris 1.2T/1.6 Estate again a small Jap Estate is always an easy sell when you’re done with it and these never really go wrong. Dated inside and a bit bland to drive but totally pain free.

Ford Mondeo 1.6 Ecoboost. If you can find one these are great to drive, good value and huge inside. Forget the diesel 1.6 but the petrol is based on the old tried and tested Yamaha 1.6 that first appeared in 1998. Avoid the Powershift auto at all costs.

Above all take the time to check that anything you look at is big enough for you before you commit. I’d veer towards approved used stock at main dealers at this money. They’re a bit dearer but they get the best of the later plate used stock and it’s slways a good sign if a car has been traded in for another of the same. Avoid anything with an automated manual box too such as VAG’s DSG or Ford’s Powershift, they’re almost certain to be trouble in the longterm.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/12/2017 at 09:53

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - John F

I am surprised that SLO76, who knows more about used cars than most posters here, doesn't include a Focus Estate. We 'downgraded' from a Passat Estate to this in 2004 when the teen children left school and departed. I agree the modern Passat has become obese.

I can't speak for more modern Foci but the clever rear suspension on our Mk1 made almost as much space in the back as the Passat (no intruding struts) and, crucially for wives dealing with shopping and kids' impedimentia, there is no lip to the rear entrance, which also passes my kneecap test (no higher than). (I am 6' tall).

Also, they are cheap to run and cheap to repair if they go wrong - which they don't seem to very often. Ours is 17yrs old and still going strong, justifying its claim at the time to be better than a Golf - which we had thought of downsizing to.

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - CK91437

someone we know had a mazda 6, petrol.

At 17 years old, it still had the original exhaust & clutch.

But that doesn't necessarily mean they still have the same reliability, as a company can change it's policies.

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - Engineer Andy

someone we know had a mazda 6, petrol.

At 17 years old, it still had the original exhaust & clutch.

But that doesn't necessarily mean they still have the same reliability, as a company can change it's policies.

Is this the rare 'tardis' special edition that is capable of time travel? The Mazda6 didn't arrive on our shores until 2002, so the maximum age they can be in the UK is 15yo. Maybe its a 626.

If you read the 'Good & Bad' section for the Mazda6 and its 626 predecessor, no problems reported with either. Most problems with both generally (to be honest, with most cars these days) are caused by them predominantly being used for short journeys (exhausts - the water vapur produced early on after startup isn't completely evapourated and corrodes the pipe, though not cleaning off mud and road salt can also do this) or driving in heavy traffic (frequent gear changing, especially in lower gears, will shorten the life of a gearbox, as well as poor clutch control or riding the clutch on inclines). Obviously the amount of mileage as well as the type of use will will a decent bearing on the life of parts, both good and bad.

No inherent problems on Mazda gearboxes or exhausts, most corrosion problems they've suffered from tend to be around wheel arches, and that seems to have improved over the years, as the lack of reports in more recent models show.

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - SLO76
“I am surprised that SLO76, who knows more about used cars than most posters here, doesn't include a Focus Estate.“

Good point John, the Focus with the Yamaha designed Zetec SE in turbo or normally asperated form is a great used buy. I’d avoid the 1.6 diesel, the 1.0 Ecoboost and Powershift though.
Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - Happy Blue!

2 kids, 3 mths & 2 years - small estate car is better than a hatchback

I very much agree - having brought up three children, now all teenagers.

However, I would also look at smaller MPVs. The real benefit from them is the extra height and three separate rear seats, which really help in loading and unloading children, both in and out of car seats, without getting back ache.

Have a look at Mazda5, Ford C-Max, Renaulat Scenic and such like. There are lots of options and they are very practical - much like Swiss Army knife compared to a good k****** knife. One is excellent at one thing, the other can do many things very well.

By way of explanation, we bought a Ford S-Max (a larger car to the C-Max with seven seats). My reputation was that of a serial car changer, every 18 months on average at most. The S-Max lasted five years with us and I miss it every day.

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - Teshy
Wow. This is way more information that i was ever expecting. Thank you everyone who contributed to this. I have a hell of a lot of research to do this weekend and I'll sure to have some follow up questions which I will have a look through the site for or post back here. In any event, I'll be sure to update once we have made a decision and pulled the trigger!

Very glad we've been able to help: we look forward to hearing what you eventually go for.

Happy Blue and I have been members of this forum for some years, and I seem to remember him coming on here and looking for suggestions as to what to replace a Subaru with, to give his growing family more room. I think some of us suggested the S-Max, and having come to that conclusion himself, he bought one and it did him proud, as he says for five years.

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - Nomag

Another vote for an MPV here. My kids are 9, 7 and 3. We had an S max for 6 years and loved it but due to our rural location now have an SUV. The difference separate seats make should not be under estimated. My dad is on his 3rd C max, all diesel, but I drove a friends mk 1 C max with 1.8 Mazda petrol engine and thought it very good. Sliding doors are also very useful in tight spots...friend of ours bought a new Grand Cmax specifically because of these. I think the Mazda 5 has these too. You don't trade much in driving pleasure with a small MPV and they more than make up for it on practicality stakes. I'd have one over an estate any day, and we had an Octavia estate before the Smax.

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - Smileyman

I would add one other car to your list

SEAT Toledo

Why?

Built alongside Skoda Rapid which has just come top in the HJ satisfaction index

Big boot .... try it for yourself, bigger than any you've listed except the Octavia

Similar spec to the Leon ... depends on model selected, modern VW toys, comfortable inside

Full size spare under boot (15" wheel)

Fun - well it depends on what you are looking for, test drive to decide for yourself. Ultmately the experts say that Leon will be a better drive ... in just over 8k miles I've not noticed any shortcomings, iin part it will be a cost / needs balance consideration

Price - well I purchased new for 40% off list price, it was cheaper than a 15 months 7k miles Mazda 3, and gave me a bigger boot and proper spare unlike Mazda

I have the 1.0 petrol engine, I get around 45 mpg in this cold weather on a mixed daily commute of 75 miles, I'm not a slouch when I drive and keep up with the others without racing ...

There will be detractors, all I say is try the car for yourself and then decide based upon your needs.

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - bazza

If you want more interior space, some of the cars on your list are not really any bigger than an A3. Putting buggies etc into the boot, I can tell you from experience, nothing beats an estate! And on your list, the Leon estate or Octavia estate would be perfect, Actually the Octavia has such a large boot in hatch form too. We ran Astra estates , an Octavia hatch and an Octavia estate when the the kids were growing up. The estate is quite noisy though.

Buying at 3 to 4 years old means keeping it simple, petrol, full history, preferably with a main dealer warranty. A used Toyota, Mazda or Honda would probably be a safer bet. Well proven vehicles with good reputations. THe latest Octavia/Leon etc with the 1.0 and 1.4 TSI engines are very tempting, but I personally wouldn't buy one at 3 years old, just as it's exiting warranty. Engines are extremely complicated and not proven over the long run. If you go that route, make sure you get a belt-driven 1.4, not the earlier chain driven engine, which is very problematic. The Toledo sounds a great option, if you can buy nearly new with a long warranty, which could be extended.

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - Smileyman

The Toledo sounds a great option, if you can buy nearly new with a long warranty, which could be extended.

I extended the manufacturer's warranty .. I am told this has to be done before registration so probably not an option on nearly new vehicles.

Key to all vehicles is proper servicing, especially changing the oils on time ... recently I had a conversation with with a senior dealer executive (whom I met throught a friend and in a social non garage environment) who stressed the importance of this cannot be overstated.

filled up today, on 696 miles with 20 litres top-up purchased on Monday, 45.7 mpg brim to brim, the on board computer does overstate the MPG.... been a cold week, at least 2 starts from cold every day ....

Edited by Smileyman on 16/12/2017 at 17:55

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - barney100

I can only speak for Volvo, I think they are ideal for families. Solid, reliable and with a host of safety features.

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - Wayne Dibbley

Having just bought a V60 T3 after a year of searching I agree with barney100.

Having said that the Leon ST is a cracking car, but was just a bit small in the back for us.

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - Engineer Andy

Having just bought a V60 T3 after a year of searching I agree with barney100.

Having said that the Leon ST is a cracking car, but was just a bit small in the back for us.

How was it trying to find a petrol V60? When I was looking this time last year to replace my now 12yo Mazda3 1.6 petrol (in the end I stayed with it, partly because I didn't find something I really liked and within a month or two I'd got fed up with my job and career and jacked it in) and looked at the V40, but couldn't find any dealers within a reasonable distance who could either give me a test drive in a V40 T3 and were always trying to flog diesels - the few petrol-engined cars that they did have in stock (second hand though) were almost always the slower T2s in top spec form with the hard-riding low profile tyres which I didn't want.

In the end I gave up (as well as I didn't think the seating position was comfortable as it didn't have a driver's left foot rest). Shame really, as the performance and general spec were reasonably to my liking otherwise.

I can't argue with the list of the OP and others - generally lots of good cars for most people (as many can tell, I'm quite picky about my cars nowadays - probably a family trait).

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - Wayne Dibbley

Took ages Andy, but that was partly my own indecision and fussyness.

The T3s are very rare though.

I bought 2nd hand and noticed that in a year the 2nd hand value like for like increased by around 1k.

I payed for my indecision!

Mazda 3 - The perfect 10k used family car - Robsnextcar
From your list of 4, I think the Volvo is a sound choice and so is the Skoda Octavia (this over the SEAT) as it scores more highly in reliability surveys.....the Honda Civic that you mention is more reliable than the others though.....I do agree with you on the interior, it's not the nicest - if you can live with it though it would be the best choice.
How about a Mazda 6 - the 3 seems to small to be a proper family car, the 6 is substantially bigger.....

Edited by Robsnextcar on 11/01/2018 at 23:51

I was after a petrol V60 too when I got mine - but there were no demonstrators anywhere and it seemed that the petrol T3 was sluggish and the T4 thirsty. So I got the diesel rather by default.

For the record, manual V60s don't have a footrest but the automatics do - a sturdy effort just in the right place.