Volvo V50R design 2.0 D - DPF fault took 51 weeks to rectify cost £8.5k - djd18

For your info V50 owners. Try to make this short. Fault was DPF - soot filter indicated. Took to local garage. First - regen. Came up again. Garage took to Volvo to confirm DPF required replacing which they agreed. DPF replaced (euro parts) . Fault codes still indicated. Volvo stated DPF readings ok. Volvo stated Turbo faulty - Turbo replaced (Euro parts) Volvo stated readings from turbo ok. Fault codes still indicated. Volvo got another volvo same model and year removed parts to fit to mine but nothing rectified fault codes. Volvo stated Computer may be faulty but would not be sure this was fault. Now local garage paying costs up to this point it was me. Computer replaced. Garage took case to EMI. Computer replaced By Volvo fault codes still came up. Volvo stated could not understand codes. Sweden Technical engineers now involved. Wiring loom checked -ok . Volvo technical staff stated DPF and turbo needs to be replaced to Volvo parts garage had to pay which was done. This cleared fault codes.Car returned but lots of damage. Once again garage had to pay.

Edited by djd18 on 10/12/2017 at 12:52

Volvo V50R design 2.0 D - DPF fault took 51 weeks to rectify cost £8.5k - RobJP

From what I can gather, you've swapped between a Volvo dealer diagnosing faults, to a local garage replacing parts, which have been supplied by eurocarparts.

And you're somewhat surprised that it has been a complete dogs breakfast ...

Volvo V50R design 2.0 D - DPF fault took 51 weeks to rectify cost £8.5k - craig-pd130

In fairness to the OP, even Volvo main dealer don't always know what the root cause of faults is the first time, or even the second. My old V60 D3 was at the dealer three times, and had a complete new EGR valve and pipework fitted before the true fault (a failed sensor on the DPF) was accurately diagnosed. The problem was, there's no specific fault code for the DPF sensors.

I dread to think what all the workshpo time and the unnecessary EGR replacement would've cost if the car was out of warranty.

I totaly agree. Volvo and even the tec engineers in Sweden confirmed that they had never seen the codes indicated before.

No, I have not swapped. The local garage took the car to Volvo's at the garages expense and without my knowledge to obtain the correct diagnoses that the dpf needed changing. The garage fitted the new eurocarparts DPF. Returned it to Volvo who stated DPF now working fine, report confirmed in writing. etc. Everything replaced ie turbo checked and reported as working ok by volvo. The contract was between local garage and Volvo as per the EMI.