New Mondeo cooling fan - Marc
Latest problem on my new shape Mondeo - erratic operation of the radiator cooling fan. It starts running whenever the car is started up (even after being stood overnight or for a couple of days) It then (presumably) cuts out somewhere along the journey as it is generally not running by the time I reach my destination.

Will the electric motor on this burn out if I don't get it seen to ASAP?

I am going to take it into main dealer when I get time but anybody got any ideas what the problem is (switch/thermostat?)

Thanks
New Mondeo cooling fan - Chas{P}
Marc

Is you air conditioning on at the same time when you start up?

To maintain an air flow over the condenser (in front of the radiator) a fan normally has to run all the time the AC is on.

HTH

Charles
Thanks Charles - good point

When I start the car in the morning I always put the ventilation onto the windscreen demist position. In this car that means it automatically turns on the a/c (which is very annoying)

I forgot to add in the original post that this problem/feature seems to be intermittent so this is probably correct. I'll test the heater control in other positions before start up to try out this theory.
New Mondeo cooling fan - Dynamic Dave
To maintain an air flow over the condenser (in front of
the radiator) a fan normally has to run all the time
the AC is on.

The fan on my Vectra and on my Dad's Astra only kick in when it is necessary.
New Mondeo cooling fan - blank
I read this post and knew there muct be a logical explanation. My Mondeo is an earlier model, but the cooling fan seems to run most of the time with the aircon on.
New Mondeo cooling fan - Dave N
Pretty much all newish Vauxhalls and Fords run the fans at half speed all the time the a/c is on, and switch to high speed if the a/c high side pressure reaches 17.5 bar. Most Jap cars only run the fans at half speed while the a/c compressor is actually engaged. And some others don't run the fan at all, then run the fan at full speed when the a/c high side pressure reaches 17.5 bar, and then switch off when it has reduced to 15 bar.

This theory is correct. If I start the car without the a/c on or switch it off the fan cuts out too.

However our Volvo 440 with a/c doesn't run the fan with the a/c on so it must vary between makes and models etc

Thanks
New Mondeo cooling fan - Armitage Shanks{P}
Seems to vary car to car. On my X plate 206 the fan cuts in with the coolant very hot (Traffic jam) or if the a/c is selected on and is cooling as well ie selected on and selected coldcold.
New Mondeo cooling fan - Armitage Shanks{P}
Correction to the above post. The engine cooling fan runs when

a. The engine is running
b. The car air circulation fan is selected to any speed
c. The air conditioning is selected on but not necessarily actually producing cool air.
New Mondeo cooling fan - kithmo
Marc, I have a Mk3 Mondeo too, this is normal. When you first start the car the ecu switches both cooling fans on as part of its boot up checks, they will go off after about 45 seconds if you don't have the aircon on. If you have the aircon on (e.g. on the demist setting) the fans will run all the time. Also, you don't need to put the heat up to the "screen" position to demist you can put it to the "up" arrow position, this will leave the aircon off.
.......keith