Where do you get your news from? - barretsmile

With all this talk about "fake news", I'm curious where others are getting their news from. So please give me a list of the top 3-5 news sources you trust and where you get your news from. I want to see how many or fews sources come up.

PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.

Thanks!

Where do you get your news from? - Avant

I'm not entirely sure what the point of this thread is, but for what it's worth I get mine from the Times, the BBC and sometimes ITN.

Every news source is accused of bias from time to time, but the above are as good as any.

Where do you get your news from? - daveyjp
R4, BBC website, local newspapers online, C4 occasionally, Huffpost app occasionally. Then links to stories through social media.

Most national print media is a waste of time,. There are too many vested interests running newspapers and the IPSO regulator formed following the Leveson enquiry is a joke.

Edited by daveyjp on 17/11/2017 at 10:13

Where do you get your news from? - RobJP

BBC generally. The 'i' newspaper on a rare occasion.

Even with those, I'm very aware that they are driven by their own agenda, and 'self-filter' to some extent. But I find those to be the least biased.

Where do you get your news from? - piggy

The "I" newspaper, BBC news,Channel 4 News ,"Today","World at One", "The World Tonight",then change over to BBC World Service. Radio 4 changes over to BBC World Service anyway after midnight. Radio left on all night at very low volume,then change over to "Today". Yes,I`m a news addict! As for some (most) of the popular press,well I would not line a hamsters cage with them.It`s a crime against nature and the environment to cut down all those trees to make paper for them.

Where do you get your news from? - Engineer Andy

Mostly from a combination of the Telegraph website (paid online subscription) and the BBC News website, and occasionally from freeview TV news reports from the BBC, ITV (ITN) & Sky News (including their website). I occasionally watch local news from the BBC/ITV and still get (and read) a local (free) newspaper (they do have a basic website as well which I also occasionally look at).

I will, on occasion as a news story appears, visit other newspaper/media websites (including Wikipedia), particularly if the story eminates from abroad and the local media outlets give more information than ours do.

I always take stories with a healthy pinch of salt (I'm a doubting Thomas who likes hard and proven facts, not just opinion repeated so many times that people [often the young and naive] believe or because the person saying it 'feels their pain' in some way), especially those involving politics and people'sa news organisation's 'opinions' presented as part of 'factual reporting'.

I don't much care for 'tabloid' newspapers and so-called gossip/social media, which I avoid like the plague, mainly because I think its mostly uniformed opinions, downright lies and propaganda from hostile organisations & nations, or firms trying to sell you something.

Sadly, the quality of the media I 'consume' (for want of a better term) has declined sharply over the last 20 years, mainly since the Internet and satellite/cable TV really got going and everyone followed the 'never-mind-the-quality-feel-the-width' approach as seemingly pioneered in the US, especially as traditional advertising streams for newspapers and TV reduced as the new media forms increased.

I am definitely finding it more difficult as the years go by to find high quality, unbiased factual reporting and (separate) well-judged opinion based on those reports rather than just the bias of the author, editor or boss/owner of a media organisation.

Where do you get your news from? - focussed

The usual UK TV news stations via satellite plus internet radio BBC Local radio and Radio 4 until they start banging their climate change/diversity/feminism drum when it gets smartly switched to 4uclassicrock.radio.net.

Just about the only french news source I use is an online newspaper FranceOuest which covers our area and commune well.

My French language skills are not good enough to listen to French radio news as they tend to gabble too fast for me to keep up!

Where do you get your news from? - alan1302

BBC, Sky and The Guardian - all from online

Where do you get your news from? - Bromptonaut

BBC Radio - mostly 4 or World Service

Guardian website (paying supporter).

Other newspaper websites.

Like others I'm aware of all sorts of biases in reporting and more particularly errors of fact and tendency to write for dramatic effect/sales rather than dispassionately. If in any doubt I'll find the source document whether it's Hansard, a published official report or a court judgement etc.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 18/11/2017 at 11:01

Where do you get your news from? - barretsmile

remix

Edited by barretsmile on 10/12/2017 at 10:44

Where do you get your news from? - grumpyscot

Local press (online)

STV

Radio Forth

Where do you get your news from? - Miniman777

As someone working in the media, I've seen strong evidence of bias on some sites, including deliberate avoidance of the facts on big stories as it suits the paper's agenda. I can see how tempting it can be, creates a stir etc.

There have also been major news stories on Sky, which have been totally ignored by the BBC and v.v. which raises questions about the editorial policy of both. There are also happenings in the USA (reported by my sister in law) which are being ignored by UK media, tantamout to a censorship policy. And then there are papers who deliberately twist the facts in stories knowing that the story inflame and aner - you know, the popular daily with sale of around 1.4 million read by middle class house owners aged 40 upwards. Is it any wonder newspaper sales have been on a downward slope for years when trying to compete with the net.

With so much spin, bull and fake news around, your best option is to look at several and make your own judgement on those you trust.

While on the topic, newspaper sites would command far more respect with a) a higher degree of honest, decent reporting; b) not having pop-ups hijack your browser window; c) getting rid of all the click-bait rubbish; d) not running fillers like '5 places you can get lunch for a five'r or 'what to do after an car accident'. Padding of the first order.

Where do you get your news from? - Engineer Andy

Miniman - as regards the amount and nature of the ads on newspaper websites - its one of my bugbears, especially for people like myself who've already paid to subscribe to the online version of the paper.

The telegraph used to have a 'reasonable' amount of ads, which I didn't mind too much a few years ago, as they were relatively small, static (not 'flash' or similar video content) and did not slow down my PC and especially my tablet.

Since they upper the amount of content (backgrounds, lots of flash-type and video, taking up quite a bit of the screen) it has slowed down my tablet so much and even to a reasonable degree on my pc, so I (about a year or so ago) said - that's it - and now have my (Firefox) browsers on both (I tried Chrome on my tablet and still had the same issues) full of ad blockers and Ghostery to ad-based prevent tracking.

I occasionally (not so much recently) get the popup 'please turn your ad blocker off as we need the ad revenue to pay for the news content', which to me is really patronising - is they went back to the old style content, I wouldn't need them. Sad to say, though to a lesser extent, the same goes for this website, at least for the tablet - for both to work at all (its not a new tablet - a Galaxy Tab 3 8.0) the ad blockers etc have to be on.

I know what you mean about the censorship policies of the TV channels - the number of times articles appear in the newspapers and not on the BBC (normally one putting the EU, remainers, feminists/SJWs or Labour in a less than flattering light [not just comment pieces - ones backed up by facts]), even with Sky now seemingly (in my view) getting in on the act, especially on their website with 'commentary' pieces by their correspondants and editors with no reader comment areas below (as they used to and is allowed, most of time [not always - in the Telegraph - often when, funnily enough, the Chinese PM or Ambassador 'writes' an article]) and gets to say whatever their 'opinion' is on a subject with no right of reply. This from a broadcaster that issupposed to follow OFCOM's impartiality rules like ITN and others.

In a similar vein, I do find it amazing how so many TV news outlets covered by the UK's impartiality rules can 'get away' with blatant politicking and partisan/biased news reporting and especially interviews - the BBC are bad enough in my view, but Channel 4 - phew - how they get away with their obvious left wing/SJW/feminist agenda, I don't know. Only rarely does this backfire, as spectacularly was demonstrated when Ch4's Cathy Newman got soundly beaten by the ever-logical Dr. Jordan Peterson last month.

Where do you get your news from? - concrete
I find tv news ridiculous. If it isn’t misery guts presenters like Hugh Edwards, then it’s the old double reporting trick. Edwards tells us the NHS is short of money, then they go over to some non event reporter complete with a cameraman, sound and lighting engineers plus other gofers all stood outside some anonymous hospital facade at 10.20 at night in the rain and they tell us that the NHS is short of money, now back to Edwards for more crap. They now pull the same stunt on local tv news too. If that were my old industry half of them or more would be sacked. Talk about overmanning and jobs for the boys!! As for the real news, who knows what that is? CNN isn’t too bad and the Telegraph and Times are ok if you pick the agenda out of it. Like bromptonaut. Try to seek out the real source of the story. Not missing any of this while away. Sheer bliss. Cheers Concrete
Where do you get your news from? - flakk

I see the news most on the internet