Peugeot won't protect british jobs at Vauxhall - Always going to happen - oldroverboy.

www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/15/vauxhall-...s

Besides, no one is buying them.

Edited by Avant on 16/10/2017 at 17:11

Peugot Won't protect british jobs at Vauxhall - Always going to happen - oldroverboy.

Under a proposal filed with the Unite union, the site in Cheshire will move to a single shift next year. The number of cars made there is expected to reduce from up to 150,000 per year to between 70,000 and 90,000.

At which point it will no longer be financially viable.

MGRover were goners once production dropped below 100,000.

Any takers on a french built Astra...

Peugot Won't protect british jobs at Vauxhall - Always going to happen - Manatee

Presumably it is irrelevant whether or not it is cheaper to assemble vehicles at Ellesmere Port than in France, since it is next to impossible to get rid of people there at any reasonable cost.

Peugot Won't protect british jobs at Vauxhall - Always going to happen - sandy56

Peugeot/Citroen have shut down a number of car factories and made "efficiencies, so yes they have made French workers redundant. VX UK is no more, ( it had been owned by GM for decades and was almost shut down a few years ago so GM could save some money) and is heading for oblivion because we dont buy Vauxhall cars in the numbers we used to.

We prefer to buy foreign made cars, unlike the French, Italians, Germans, Spainish, etc. We would rather fire UK car workers, than stop buying foreign made cars.

Edited by sandy56 on 16/10/2017 at 16:49

Peugot Won't protect british jobs at Vauxhall - Always going to happen - RobJP

Peugeot/Citroen have shut down a number of car factories and made "efficiencies, so yes they have made French workers redundant. VX UK is no more, ( it had been owned by GM for decades and was almost shut down a few years ago so GM could save some money) and is heading for oblivion because we dont buy Vauxhall cars in the numbers we used to.

We prefer to buy foreign made cars, unlike the French, Italians, Germans, Spainish, etc. We would rather fire UK car workers, than stop buying foreign made cars.

Really ?

Nissan produce the Qashqai, Juke, X-Trail, Leaf, and the Infiniti Q30 and Qx30 in Sunderland.

Honda build the Civic and CR-V in Swindon

Toyota build Auris, Auris hybrid and Avensis in Derbyshire. They also have an engine plant near Chester.

JLR build ... well, everything they sell in the UK.

MINI build 3 models in the UK.

All told, over 1.6 million cars built in the UK last year.

But according to you, 'we prefer to buy foreign made cars'.

Absolute nonsense

Peugot Won't protect british jobs at Vauxhall - Always going to happen - RT

Really ?

Nissan produce the Qashqai, Juke, X-Trail, Leaf, and the Infiniti Q30 and Qx30 in Sunderland.

Honda build the Civic and CR-V in Swindon

Toyota build Auris, Auris hybrid and Avensis in Derbyshire. They also have an engine plant near Chester.

JLR build ... well, everything they sell in the UK.

MINI build 3 models in the UK.

All told, over 1.6 million cars built in the UK last year.

But according to you, 'we prefer to buy foreign made cars'.

Absolute nonsense

The Astra is the only Vauxhall built in the UK, and not all versions of it - all the other Vauxhalls are built abroad - Germany, Poland, Spain, Korea and France.

Presumably it is irrelevant whether or not it is cheaper to assemble vehicles at Ellesmere Port than in France, since it is next to impossible to get rid of people there at any reasonable cost.

It's not Ellesmere Port vs France, it's Ellesmere Port vs Gliwice, Poland - those are the only two factories building cars on the GM Delta platform - it would cost far too much to move current Astra production to a PSA factory, but Poland is cheaper labour than the UK.

The next Astra, from 2021 will be built on a PSA platform so could go anywhere.

Peugot Won't protect british jobs at Vauxhall - Always going to happen - oldroverboy.

It's not Ellesmere Port vs France, it's Ellesmere Port vs Gliwice, Poland - those are the only two factories building cars on the GM Delta platform - it would cost far too much to move current Astra production to a PSA factory, but Poland is cheaper labour than the UK.

Rover had 3 different Platforms on one line at Longbridge 2001-2005. The assembly lines were all carted off to China. Poland or France is a lot closer.

I see Ellesmere port closed after 2021, but Jaguar?landrover could use the plant and skilled workforce, as they currently are short of capacity.. (but for how long?)

Peugot Won't protect british jobs at Vauxhall - Always going to happen - daveyK_UK

PSA wont allow the plant to go to land rover, despite the interests of the workers.

PSA is planning a huge growth into the SUV market, and with the DS brand they may believe they can offer a luxury alternative to JLR

Edited by daveyK_UK on 16/10/2017 at 19:22

Rover had 3 different Platforms on one line at Longbridge 2001-2005. The assembly lines were all carted off to China. Poland or France is a lot closer.

I see Ellesmere port closed after 2021, but Jaguar?landrover could use the plant and skilled workforce, as they currently are short of capacity.. (but for how long?)

If PSA close Ellesmere Port, then short/medium term they'll just build more Astras on the existing line at Gliwice, Poland - no need to move any tooling as both Gliwice and Ellesmere Port both currently build RHD Vauxhalls and LHD/RHD Opels.

It would be nice to think Ellesmere Port goes to JLR but 2021 may be too long for them to wait.

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 17/10/2017 at 00:21

Peugeot won't protect british jobs at Vauxhall - Always going to happen - Metropolis.
This type of thing is precisely why i try not to buy foreign,(hard these days i know!)
As soon as s*** hits the fan, the factories go home.
Peugeot won't protect british jobs at Vauxhall - Always going to happen - gordonbennet
This type of thing is precisely why i try not to buy foreign,(hard these days i know!) As soon as s*** hits the fan, the factories go home.

I used to be your brother in arms in tis quest, seemed like a one man war at one time, though i'm still a patriot at heart, unlike the vast majority of the current poor crop of politicians.

I eventually twigged it was all over many years ago when i wanted to buy a new microwave, it was going to be made in Britain like almost everything else i bought, even second hand, scoured the usual sheds and eventually my eyes rested upon a union flag plastered over the front of a Belling...thats the one for me.

Just before i handed over me hard earned i double checked at the back, sure enough made in China, put it back, the other great insult was Rover group daring to stick a union emblem on the back door of that horrid tata made effort known as city rover.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/10/2017 at 20:51

Peugeot won't protect british jobs at Vauxhall - Always going to happen - Andrew-T

<< I used to be your brother in arms in this quest, seemed like a one man war at one time, though i'm still a patriot at heart, unlike the vast majority of the current poor crop of politicians. >>

Probably like many of the oldies on here, I wanted to stick with UK-built transport. I had a succession of Maxis until 1983, but decided a Maestro was a lousy replacement and had a Cavalier for a few years. Once the kids stopped needing transport to and from uni, I downsized to a 205 and have had one ever since - tho not as a first car these days. I've seen no reason to switch back.

As regards Ellesmere Port, i would expect the same sequence of events as befell Ryton after PSA bought the Talbot plant. Kept it going for the production run of 206's, then closed down. Once a model dies it will close, or be sold on if the workforce is lucky.