Ford C-Max 1.6 Petrol Year 2008 - Intermittent rough running / cutting out with EML - Dartrader

Hi all, hope someone can help with a problem I’ve got with my recently acquired Ford C-Max.

It’s a 1.6 twin cam 16 valve petrol 2008 with 75,000 miles on the clock. The problems I’ve been having are as follows. I was driving in traffic the other day and had to stop, as I pulled away the car sort of stuttered and the engine gave the impression it was struggling for fuel. The yellow engine management light was flashing. As I looked for a place to stop it went back to normal running and the light stopped flashing. It was then fine the rest of the day. Then on Friday I had to drive home from Porthmadog to Rhyl and it ran faultlessly up the A487 and then the A55. When I came off the A55 at Abergele as I got to the bottom of the slip it cut out and the yellow engine management light was lit solid. I managed to coast into the side road. I then turned the ignition off and restarted the car, it started no problem and ran perfect no roughness or anything. It was as though nothing had happened. The yellow engine management light was also not showing. The car ran perfect the rest of the way home and has run OK today. The last time I owned a petrol car they had distributer caps and condensers so I’m a bit out of touch with modern petrol cars but with DPF’s on modern diesels and only doing about 7000 miles a year thought petrol was the way to go. I have a warranty with the car but the dealer is 50 miles from me and was hoping someone might be able to offer some idea what might be wrong and I could get it fixed local maybe if it was a simple fix. Many thanks for any help. Dave.

Ford C-Max 1.6 Petrol Year 2008 - Intermittent rough running / cutting out with EML - elekie&a/c doctor

Common issues for poor running on these is usually ignition trouble.Coils,ht leads or spark plugs are the usual suspects.

Ford C-Max 1.6 Petrol Year 2008 - Intermittent rough running / cutting out with EML - SLO76
Beaten to it but I'd say coil pack. Not expensive or difficult to replace on one of these. Generally this is a very robust engine so don't sweat, it'll be something simple but it needs diagnosed first. Part of the issue with buying from a dealer that's a distance away and has no local branch is that you have to get the car to them for repair which isn't exactly practical if it's not running properly.
Ford C-Max 1.6 Petrol Year 2008 - Intermittent rough running / cutting out with EML - Big John

Probably coil pack - especially if it's been sat for a while on a dealer forecourt before you bought it. Even though it's 50miles away take it back to be fixed otherwise you might invalidate your warranty if is something more serious

Edited by Big John on 09/10/2017 at 02:28

Ford C-Max 1.6 Petrol Year 2008 - Intermittent rough running / cutting out with EML - Dartrader

Hi all, many thanks for taking the time to help, it is much appreciated. I will give the dealer a call later today and arrange to take it back over. I can’t get over before next Monday due to appointments and work. Hopefully they can sort it quickly. Should it flag any fault codes up to help with diagnosing the issue ? I am under the impression that cheap coils are not the best to replace with as they don’t last long. I notice it’s a Bosch coil pack on her at the moment and the date on it is November 07, so it’s the original Ford fitted when new. Many thanks again and I will keep you up to date with the outcome, I know many don’t and it drives me mad to read a thread and never get to know the outcome. Dave.

Ford C-Max 1.6 Petrol Year 2008 - Intermittent rough running / cutting out with EML - Railroad.

A flashing engine management lamp indicates that the ECM has detected a live misfire.

Hi all, just a quick update. I’ve spoken to the dealer and I am to take the car in next Thursday at 9am. Since my last post I’ve noticed the exhaust is noisy at the front end, I thought it was a little louder than it should be when I got the car but it’s got louder. They say they will sort it. I hope they will sort the exhaust and don’t put it down to wear and tear. I’ve only had the car a month and covered about 300 miles. I’d expect the exhaust to be better considering it’s just passed an MOT. It did fail the first time on a wiper and exhaust not supported properly. Both jobs were done to pass the MOT. I wonder if the exhaust was already damaged due to the lack of support. I will also ask if they will put a decent coil pack on it and leads and plugs, don’t want it to fail again when the warranty runs out. Anyway enough of my ramblings and thanks again for your advice. Dave.

Hi all, I got the car back to the dealers and they concluded it needed a Coil pack, Plugs and Leads. They ordered a Bosch Coil pack and NGK plugs, not sure what make the leads are it just says OEM on the box. Anyway it’s cured the rough running and all seems good in that department. They said the exhaust was OK and not blowing, just a bit “Raspy”. The only thing I notice now is sometimes after a prolonged run on the motorway or at speed when I come to stop at a junction the idle dips to 500ish RPM and then recovers to 750. I sometimes think it’s going to stall. If I’m around town and not driving too fast it’s fine. I have changed the air filter as it was in a state and been on the car since 2011 judging by the date on it. I have read that the throttle body may need a clean and idle control valve or something, my throttle body is electronic , no cable to it. Will it still have an idle control valve? Many thanks for your help so far. Best regards, Dave.

Ford C-Max 1.6 Petrol Year 2008 - Intermittent rough running / cutting out with EML - elekie&a/c doctor

There is no idle control valve on these .All throttle actions are controlled bt the electronic throttle body. Do not attempt to clean the throttle as the venturi surface has a special coating to prevent build up of gunge.I would do a ecu reset /relearn procedure.Disconnect the battery for 10 mins.Remember the radio will need recoding afterwards.