Toyota Prius / Auris HSD / Any Other - Longevity of Hybrid batteries / powetrains - eustace

I am starting this thread to get some feedback on the longevity of Hybrid batteries / powetrains.

The Totota Prius has now been on sale for 17 years.

Has anyone owned an older Prius / other hybrid and run into Hybrid batteries / powetrain isssues as yet? Any known cases that you can share or even anecdotal evidence?

Any cars wherein the hybrid battery needed to be replaced? And what were the actual costs incurred? And at what age / mileage? Or details of any other issues with the hybrid powertrain?

Toyota Prius / Auris HSD / Any Other - Longevity of Hybrid batteries / powetrains - SLO76
The Toyota hybrids are the best option with an eye to reliability. The Prius in particular has been tested to destruction by taxi drivers across the globe with many carrying 200k upwards and still on the origional batteries. The reason is that the hybrid power system controls the recharge of the power pack and not the owner/driver so the battery is kept in optimal charging conditions at all times and never allowed to fully discharge which shortens lifespan. It also doesn't go through the quick charge cycle as a fully electric car regularly will which also damages the power pack.

Toyota say they've never had to replace a power pack on a Prius to date but I think that cost will be the reason more than anything. It's not viable to spend £5k upwards on a ten year old Prius but they can be repaired and thanks to the relatively high volume of them on the road this isn't ruinously expensive now. I believe the first gen cars can have a refurbished power pack for less than £1,000 now with a couple of smaller UK firms offering this service. Still a big cost on a car with little value though.
Toyota Prius / Auris HSD / Any Other - Longevity of Hybrid batteries / powetrains - gordonbennet
I believe the first gen cars can have a refurbished power pack for less than £1,000 now with a couple of smaller UK firms offering this service. Still a big cost on a car with little value though.

I hadn't heard of anyone offering this service on Toyota hybrids until now, probably lack of demand previously and the fact that if you look after your car and get it serviced reasonably MrT doesn't turn his back on his customers the day warranty expires.

There is a chap who will refurb Honda hybrid battery packs.

I don't think £1000 is in any way unreasonable, most people with a ten year old car that has another ten years use in it (obviously i refer to sensible owners here, not the neglectful whose cars won't see 12 years) wouldn't consider that cost for a new clutch and DMF or a new DPF was a reason on its own to get rid, so that £1000 battery refurb should be looked at in the same light.

As for other maker's hybrids, er no thanks, given the well reported lack of customer service from so many i wouldn't touch an out of warranty hybrid from any of the alternatives, for the increasing number of '3 years then rent another' private car users that doesn't matter of course.

Edited by gordonbennet on 02/10/2017 at 09:54

Toyota Prius / Auris HSD / Any Other - Longevity of Hybrid batteries / powetrains - Sam49

My mother in law has a 2007 Prius, she's had it for ages.

She lives in London so it does a fair bit around there (when not using public transport) and pretty regular longer journeys to see friends, family, go away.

The CD player has gone a bit iffy but otherwise no real problems with it. She think it's great and it works really well for her lifestyle. She's considering trading in for an Auris hybrid at some point.

Toyota Prius / Auris HSD / Any Other - Longevity of Hybrid batteries / powetrains - movilogo

If the battery is taken out or replaced with a much smaller battery, say standard battery in every car, will the car behave like normal car effectively?

or it will simply refuse to run?

Toyota Prius / Auris HSD / Any Other - Longevity of Hybrid batteries / powetrains - Ethan Edwards

Look the traction battery and any regular car battery are not in any way the same and are completely not interchangeable. If thats where you were going with this. All they have in common is that they store electrical charge.

AFAIK If you have no traction battery present the car doesn't run. I do know the big orange cable (runs to the elec motors) runs about 650 to 750 volts. Thats a lot of double AA's isn't it.

Toyota Prius / Auris HSD / Any Other - Longevity of Hybrid batteries / powetrains - FP

My trusted local indy has been running a Prius for a while to get some insights. He now says he can repair the battery, in that what frequently happens is that the whole thing doesn't fail - just one cell, which can be replaced.

Toyota Prius / Auris HSD / Any Other - Longevity of Hybrid batteries / powetrains - Auristocrat

Last year a member of the owners club had their battery pack replaced by Toyota on an older Prius for approx £750.

Toyota offer hybrid health checks on their hybrids which, if the car is outside the hybrid battery warranty, offers a 1 year/10,000 mile extended warranty on the hybrid battery. The hybrid health check warranty is available up to the car's tenth birthday - so if done immediately prior to the car's 10th anniversary, can provide warranty cover for almost 11 years. Hybrid health checks are free if done with a service by a Toyota dealer. Approx £39 otherwise.

Edited by Auristocrat on 02/10/2017 at 12:02

Toyota Prius / Auris HSD / Any Other - Longevity of Hybrid batteries / powetrains - eustace

Toyota has in several foums made the claim that the hybrid battery is designed to last the life of the car. But they don't state what the expected life of the car is.

In the PRIUS chat forum, there are several postings on users having the experience of having to replace their car batteries. Those experiences though mostly relate to the states. Apparently there, Toyota charges $3500 for a new battery, with a additional warranty of 3 (earlier 1) years.

Also replacing individual cells does not seem to be a viable solution in the long term.

There are 3rd parties who manufacture PRIUS equivalent batteries (such as Dorman rehabilated battery pack), at a cheaper price with a greater warranty than Toyota in the U.S. However, not all users are happy with their experience. The general consensus on PRIUS chat is that the best option is to get a new battery from Toyota, if the owner is planning to retain the car long term.

In U.K. the costs of new Prius batteries are as fiollows:-

"If you do need to replace an entire battery pack, it’s not as costly as you might expect. For a Mk1 or Mk2 Prius, it’s £1,201 and £1,068 respectively on an exchange basis; a new battery for a Mk3 is priced at a hefty £5,730, though. Replacing the pack on an original Honda Insight or Civic IMA will cost you around £2,000, but it’s a more palatable £900 on the later Insight and Civic IMA. In 2012, Honda switched from nickel metal hydride batteries to lithium-ion versions, virtually tripling replacement costs in the process, from £972 to £2,700 – not that any of these batteries have yet needed to be replaced."

source:- http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/94872/buying-a-used-hybrid-car-the-complete-guide

However the prospect of spending £5730 on a new Gen 3 battery used in the PRIUS or Auris is scary.

That begets the question, how frequently do they fail?

I understand that failures happen more commonly in hot conditions such as in Arizona and parts of Australia. The only statistics I could find are as follows:-

". According to the 200,000+ mile thread, 15% of gen 2 Prius batteries fail in 200,000-300,000 miles. That percentage is higher than the True Delta or Consumer Reports data that suggests roughly 3% of gen 2 Prii have battery failures. But even if you go with the higher number, there's still 85% of Prii whose batteries run fine through 200,000 miles or more. So as long as you check out all the cars that interest you and make sure the one you buy is in good condition, you've still got pretty good odds that you'll be fine on the battery front. "

source:- https://priuschat.com/threads/hybrid-battery-replacement-or-not.176455/

This does indicate a low failure rate.

However failures do happen. Toyota does have a fault code, which indicates that hybrid battery needs replacement. The fault code is:-PA080 code

Now the question this boils down to is,

Is it economical for a low mileage driver, driving say 6 - 8000 miles per year, to buy a used Toyota Auris hybrid for about £6000. That is the cost of a 2010 model, with about 75000 miles on it.

Considering a1 10 MPG mileage improvement over a nequivalent Civic (assuming say 35 MPG for a Civic and 45 MPG for a Hybrid), one would save about £200 a year in fuel costs, if one were driving 10,000 miles. One would also save about £200 a year on VED.

So a total savings pf about £400 a year. Over 5 years that would save you about £2000.

Which is about the cost difference between an equivalent age / mileage Civic and an auris hybrid.

The question is does the economics still work out? Does the risk of battery failure skew the equation, in favour of a traditional petrol;? Particulalrly for low lileage drivers?

If so, what annual mileage would be the cut off point?

Any thoughts on this, appreciated...

Toyota Prius / Auris HSD / Any Other - Longevity of Hybrid batteries / powetrains - Avant

There's a potential Achilles heel with hybrids, certainly Toyotas and presumably all of them. In addition to the main batteries, there's a small 12-volt battery which is needed to start the car. SWMBO's sister has a 12-registered Auris hybrid; she lives in west London and doesn't use it much, and whe she does it's mainly short jourmeys.

Occasionally, and without warning, the small battery flattens, particularly if the car hasn't been used for a few days. She was trying to be environmentally correct in having a hybrid, but personally I think she'd be better off with a petrol. Her last car was a petrol Verso which never went wrong in 10 years.

She's 75 and has an older, disabled husband - so I might resort to some of Skidpan's lexicon if someone starts saying she ought to use taxis. Her car is parked on the street, so for her, as for 000s of others, a pure EV is out.

This problem could potentially be solved, by using a trickle charge to keep the 12 volt battery charged.

Not sure how feasible this is, for a car parked on the street. May require a long extension lead...

Toyota Prius / Auris HSD / Any Other - Longevity of Hybrid batteries / powetrains - Wackyracer

A suitably sized (I mean power output) solar panel left on the dash might be the answer when the car is not in use. I have a 20watt panel with a charge controller that I use if I'm not using the car or van for a while, that keeps up with any current drains and/or the natural discharge of the battery.

Toyota Prius / Auris HSD / Any Other - Longevity of Hybrid batteries / powetrains - Bianconeri

There's a potential Achilles heel with hybrids, certainly Toyotas and presumably all of them. In addition to the main batteries, there's a small 12-volt battery which is needed to start the car. SWMBO's sister has a 12-registered Auris hybrid; she lives in west London and doesn't use it much, and whe she does it's mainly short jourmeys.

Occasionally, and without warning, the small battery flattens, particularly if the car hasn't been used for a few days. She was trying to be environmentally correct in having a hybrid, but personally I think she'd be better off with a petrol. Her last car was a petrol Verso which never went wrong in 10 years.

She's 75 and has an older, disabled husband - so I might resort to some of Skidpan's lexicon if someone starts saying she ought to use taxis. Her car is parked on the street, so for her, as for 000s of others, a pure EV is out.

From 2018 models (i.e. now) Hyundai / Kia have changed their hybrids so that the low-voltage battery can be reset (charged) from the transit battery. I can’t find the press release but it looks like the 12v battery is now LiOn. Side effect is that, for the Niro at least, the boot is slightly bigger as the 12v battery no longer lives there.
Toyota Prius / Auris HSD / Any Other - Longevity of Hybrid batteries / powetrains - badbusdriver

SLO, how are the honda hybrids doing compared to the prius in terms of reliability?. I was looking at some on autotrader the other night and they seem to be slightly cheaper overall than a prius of the same age.

I also must say that I have always been a fan of the original Honda insight. Not hugely practical I know, being a tiny 2 seat coupe, but a brilliant (typical of honda) design. Despite being a hybrid, they only weigh about 850kg, which along with the incredibly slippery shape, means that it is both much quicker than you'd expect a car with just over 80bhp (in total) to be, and also capable of a genuine 85+mpg. I'd love to get my hands on one!.